“A Little Oasis.....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Bel Haj

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Riad Bel Haj
You added Riad Bel Haj to your Saves list
60 Derb Moulay Abdellah Ben Hssaine | 60 Derb Moulay Abdellah Ben Hssaine, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #328 of 1,126 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Frome, United Kingdom
“A Little Oasis.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

My wife and I spent 4 nights at the Bel Haj on what was our first visit to Marrakech. Hidden away like many Riads down an alley behind a solid front door the Bel Haj reveals itself as a quiet oasis away from the nearby madness of the Medina and Place Jemaa el Fna, itself only 5 minutes walk from the front door. The ground floor of the Bel Haj features a quiet tiled area with small plunge pool, squashy leather pouffes and table for enjoying mint tea on arrival or a quiet drink from the honesty bar in the Salon. The Salon on the ground floor also has Satellite TV and DVD for guests use if they feel the need to catch up with the real world during their stay, plus comfy lounging sofas and a selction of reading for thse quiet moments. There is also a small dining room on the ground floor where you can take breakfast or enjoy an eveing meal as an alternative to the roof terrace. The roof terrace has a number of sun loungers together with a berber tented area underneath which we enjoyed breakfast while listening to the sounds of Marrakech waking up and the nearby Koutoubia Mosque calling devotees to prayer. Our bedroom, the Rabat room, was nicely furnished with king size bed, soft cotton bedding and throw, plus lovely big soft pillows. There was plenty of wardrobe space, a safe for your valuables, and an iPod dock for your entertainment. The bathroom featured traditional Tadelakt walls and a huge bath/shower that delivered a wonderful soak at the end of a dusty day in the Souks. The staff at the Bel Haj were always bright, cheerful and attentive to your every need, preparng breakfast on request at seemingly any late hour, and providingmint tea or coffee at any time of asking. Aziz, the night staff, was especially helpful to us when we returned to the Bel Haj unexpectedly after our return flight was cancelled due to the ash cloud and we were forced to spend an extra 3 nights in Marrakech. Aziz contacted the manageress Amal for us and after finding us a room at the Bel Haj sister property the Riad Adore, Aziz escorted us there personally, making sure we were clear on where we were in the Medina and how to find our way.

Overall our stay at Riad Bel Haj was very enjoyable. There are many Riads in the Medina, at every price range and in every style, but if you are looking for a small property (Bel Haj has only 4 rooms) in a great location (2 mins walk from Bab Ksour gate and taxi stop) and with loads of traditional style and great staff at a very competitive price then Bel Haj should fit the bill for you. We will be recommending to family and friends!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

The location was very central and easy to find. The room lovely and clean. The service excellent and the food delicious.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Reading
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Riad bel Haj for five lovely days and we just love this riad! Marrakech is a fabulous city and Riad bel Haj is so close to the centre of it all, you just walk down the road and you are in the heart of the souks. After a tiring day of haggling it was always so nice to come home to the riad. It is relaxing and stylish and the staff made the trip really special, the girls who work in the riad are adorable and looked after us impeccably. We were lucky to find such a great place to stay and even luckier that Riad bel Haj has two sister riads, where we had hammams and dinner on one of our nights in Marrakech. We loved this riad, if you are planning a trip to Marrakech then really do stay here, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

I spent a week in Marrakech this past April. I was travelling with a friend, and we both fell in love with Riad Bel Haj. It was the perfect distance from the souks and a gorgeous riad. We had dinner on the terrace one night and the view of the Kotoubia was incredible.
We will definitely be coming back some time soon. The staff were lovely and the rooms were beautiful. It was truly the best holiday I have been on. I look forward to coming back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

Wow, what can I say about this place. Absolutely amazing. The riad has been done to a wonderful standard. We stayed here for 3 nights and I had emailed the riad before our visit and asked if they could do something special for our 1st wedding anniversary. We got there and they had arranged for dinner in the roof terrace (food was amazing if I could have wrapped the chef up and put her in my bag to take home I would have, it was so good we ate there 2 nights out of the 3) They also gave us a free bottle of wine and put roses in our bedroom.
The rooms are very nicely done up and with everything you would expect.
On our 1st night there I noticed my ankle and back of my calf had swelled up and gone hard, it appeared that the 2 insect bites I got in Agadir had become slightly infected. We went down to ask if there was a chemist nearby and a member of staff went of in a hurry then came back with something and started putting it on my leg (we think it could have been honey) The next day the swelling had gone down and the calf returned to normal.
We also enquired about a spice they used on their salad an the gentlemen that was serving us came back with it form the kitchen then put some in a small bag for us to take home.
This riad is such a relaxing place and there is nothing better than coming back from a long day walking around and putting your tired feet in the plunge pool whilst having a mint tea.
If I go back to Marrakesh I would only stay here as I know you are getting a good deal. It is a 5 min walk to the main sq and 6 min walk to the soquks so very central.
Whoever owns this riad should be very proud of their staff.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

I travelled to Marrakech with my 13 year old son. We stayed at the Bel Haj for 7 nights. The riad is beautifully decorated and the rooms are extremely clean, comfortable and nicely designed. We had the Casablanca room which is on the rooftop terrace. The doors to our room opened up onto the terrace, so we felt like we had the penthouse suite!

I would highly recommend this riad for a number of reasons: The service from the staff is TOP notch (and I'm a picky American). We were always asked upon our return if we wanted orange juice or tea from Mirium, she was so nice to us and always had a smile on her face. Even though I don't speak French or Arabic, we were able to communicate with each other. Aziz is the nightguard and he also was extremely helpful and generous with his time. If I had questions on how to get somewhere, he offered to walk us there or show us on the map. I found both Aziz and Mirium really added to our delightful experience of our stay in Marrakech. I would also like to mention Amal, the manager was also extremely helpful and patient with my millions of questions. A big thank you to the staff!

The location is perfect as the Djemaa El Fna square is a straightforward 5-7 minute walk away and also is located within easy walking distance of the New Town via Mohammad the V main avenue.

We did have a few glitches when when we first arrived. The Internet wasn't working for the first 3 days that we were there which was a problem because I wanted to stay in family back home, however is was fixed by the 4th day so it was ok. The other thing is that the ipod docking station in our room wouldn't charge my son's ipod which was frustrating as that was one of his "toys" that he brought to keep him occupied during down times at the riad.

The Moroccans are extremely friendly and hospitable people and I would not hesitate to visit again!

Susan Bryson

• Stayed April 2010
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

If you are disappointed by this wonderful Riad. You simply won't be. I retract the possibility.
Great restaurant close by: Topsil! Rent a scooter!

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Bel Haj? Share your experiences!