“A fantastic riad in Marrakech” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Bel Haj

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Riad Bel Haj
Save Saved
You added Riad Bel Haj to your Saves list
60 Derb Moulay Abdellah Ben Hssaine | 60 Derb Moulay Abdellah Ben Hssaine, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #215 of 1,055 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A fantastic riad in Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Riad Bel Haj is wonderful. The staff are v helpful and the situation of the riad is fantastic. It is a haven of tranquility in the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. We stayed there in July and would definitely come back here as a family or just as a couple. The breakfast on the roof terrace was a lovely way to start the day. We would then go out and look round Marrakech. Coming back to the riad in the day was lovely, as we could bathe in the plunge pool and sunbathe gently in the court yard.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Azzouna, Owner at Riad Bel Haj, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
What a lovely review of Riad Bel Haj - thank you so much, it is much appreciated. It makes what we do here so much more rewarding when we get such positive comments from our guests. It also delights our staff to know that they are so well perceived. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to be able to welcome you back to Marrakech again in the future.
Best Wishes, Stuart, Owner - Pure Riads

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Lovely, relaxing. very good staff and in the heart of the old town. Very good food and also advice for shopping. thanks we will be back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Goodworth Clatford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

The staff were very good and helpful and they only had a visiting supervisor. The rooms were comfortable. The breakfasts and dinner that we had were excellent. The riad is one of four owned by a british couple who do not live there to keep an eye on things although this is the impression one gets from the website. I gather that they live in UK and visit a few times a year o that it is impossible for them to control everything. My bill was in Euros, and regrettably I had not realised this before The drinks trust bar is in euros so that one can not easily compare their prices with other establishments. There is a 5% surcharge if one pays by credit or debit card. As the debit card is almost instantaneous I think a charge for it is unneccessary. I would be happy to stay there again because the staff were so charming, but would be careful about getting euros. Why cant one pay for drinks in the local currency as one does anywhere else?

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

A slightly scary experience driving from the airport - I wasn't expecting the roads to be quite as crazy as they were, but I was very thankful we weren't driving ourselves and our driver seemed well practised at meandering through the chaos.

On arrival we were greated with a cup of Marrakech's speciality Mint Tea - which I very quickly fell in love with (and have managed to recreate at home since!). The room we were in was very pretty and the whole riad was beautifully decorated.

We ate up on the roof terrace one night, which was spectacular. As the riad is really close to the main square in Marrakech we were very close to the large mosque and so during dinner we heard the prayer time, it was a very weird sensation and we really felt like we were truely in a very different culture to the UK (just what I wanted).

The close proximity to the main square suited us perfectly as it meant we could wander around very easily without getting too lost in the markets. I would really advise anyone going to Marrakech to visit the square but be very aware of what is going on around you - I very nearly had my hands henna tattooed without even noticing and no doubt if the lady had started painting my hand I'd have been landed having to pay for the henna (even though the last thing I needed was henna).

I'd recommed Cafe de France in the centre of the square for a tea or coffee even if you're not going there to eat, the two terraces offer a fantastic view of the square and the entrances to the souk. It's a fantastic place to pitch up and take some artistic snaps for your holiday album without fear of being hassled for money from snake charmers and men with funny colourful hats on.

We did have a few friends staying in a hotel in new town marrakech - their hotel wasn't a scratch on the riad and it was a trek to get into the souks, however we did eat out at a lovely asian fusion restaurant in the new town which was great as although we could get wine at the riad, it proved fairly difficult to get a glass of wine at many restaurants in the old town....so at the end of our day of exploring the square and souks, we felt we deserved a good bottle of Marrocan wine (even if I'd have preferred to have had Marrocan food to go with it).

At the end of our trip check out was a very painless process - our flight wasnt until the evening and we were able to stay in our room until 12. So we spent most of the morning cramming our bags full of gifts and goodies we'd bought and then had a very relaxing quiet afternoon chilling out on the roof terrace with our books and a lovely silver teapot of sweet mint tea. Our taxi came to pick us and our bags up on time and the drive to the airport was also fine (I think I'd expected the journey to be crazy like our arrival drive - but I must have got used to the crazy driving by then).

I loved Marrakech and I can't wait to take my parents out there soon as I know that my Dad especially would love it and the amazing food and wine.

Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

We had a great time at Riad Bel Haj. The breakfast was delicious every day and everyone was very kind and helpful. I particularly appreciated that someone was always there to watch over the riad, it made me feel very safe and looked after. I had the feeling that nothing was too much to ask, the staff was truly wonderful!

A few things:

We stayed in the Tangiers room, which is the least expensive, and after I wish we had payed a bit more to stay in one of the other rooms. It is on the ground floor and you feel like you are too close to the lobby area. It was not a big deal, but I think when you are staying with your spouse, its nicer to feel a little more secluded :-)

Because of the small pool in the salon, our room was a little humid. We figured out by the third night that there was a setting for this on the air conditioning system to dry the air (or heat it, cool it, humidify it), and it helped a lot. But, I wish we had figured it out sooner as my husband does not cope well with humidity!

As other reviewers have said, its good to know that they put plugs in the drains. Thankfully I knew this and removed them before showering/using the sink, but if you are not aware, I could see how it would be annoying. Just make sure to remove them!

Overall though we liked staying here. Its extremely well located and allowed us to see the square, the souks and many other attractions without having to take a taxi. I recommend this riad without hesitation.

Room Tip: I would not take Tangiers if possible, the rooms on the upper floor had more privacy.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Stayed at Riad Tzarra, owned by the same people, and came to Riad Bel Haj to check it out for our next visit to Marrakech. This place is a gem, located in the best part of town, close to the square but not too close and within easy reach of all the restaurants. Great view from the terrace - next time we come here, we will choose this riad for it's amazing location.

LONDON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Riad Bel Haj has a charming atmosphere, is very intimate and welcoming. The rooms are beautifully decorated with a lovely ambience. The location is ideal being just round the corner from the souks and lively restaurants making it very convenient. Breakfast on the roof terrace are served by the friendly attentive staff. I would look forward to going back to the riad at the end of the day with because of its wonderful homely feel. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Riad Bel Haj? Share your experiences!