“A Grand Riyad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Demeures d'Orient

You added Demeures d'Orient to your Saves list
Demeures d'Orient
5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   10, Arset Ben Nasser | Riad Laarouss-Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #406 of 1,072 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Sunnyside, New York
“A Grand Riyad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Quite a spectacular example of its type. Very large rooms, well appointed. Fireplaces, huge beds, down pillows. Like everywhere in Morocco, poor light for reading. The evening meal we ate there was great - typical Moroccan fare but better than most restaurants. Breakfast is a set menu of fruit, yogurt, pastries.

Room Tip: If you want a frire in your room, they come to start it. And they don't know how to. Make sure...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Paget Parish, Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had tried to book the Dar Charkia in Marrakech as it is ranked 2 on trip advisor. It was booked so our agent recommended this riad. It is absolutely beautifully decorated and think it will only be a matter of time until it creeps up tripadvisor to one of the top riads in Marrakech. We stayed in 2 rooms - the Royal suite which was gorgeous - and a suite on the lower floor on the far right side of the pool- also gorgeous. The bathrooms are beautiful and there are comfy robes and slippers provided. The rooms both had fireplaces for cold evenings. The staff were all very friendly and helpful - speaking English which was useful when our French let us down!
One of the negatives was being woken up for the first calling to prayer from the local mosques. There must be a few in the area as it was very loud and the first one of the day is quite long!
Will definately recommend this riad!

Room Tip: Royal suite or suite on the bottom level far right of the pool. Think higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I had three nights at Demeures d'Orient and could not have been more delighted with the riad and its staff. We stayed mid-week and so the riad was nice and quiet and we felt very well looked after. The riad is absolutely beautiful and a real oasis of calm in the bustling medina. Its location is ideal and the main sights not too far. The hotel arranged a guide for us for the first morning who was excellent and we felt quite at ease in the souks after a couple of hours. We had the Venitienne suit and were delighted with it (although it is on the ground floor which may not have been so pleasant if there had been more guests staying). The breakfast was perfect; light and delicious. We had dinner there on our first night and thoroughly enjoyed the food, service and setting. Everyone at the raid, from the owners to each and every member of staff, could not have done more to make our stay more enjoyable and we will certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: If the riad is busy, the ground floor may be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We are a family of 8 (six kids ranging in ages from 9-19) and we stayed at the Demeures d'Orient for our 4 day stay in Marrakech. The hotel is luxurious with a beautiful pool that the kids enjoyed during the day when it was too hot to go touring. They enjoyed the pool at night as well. The rooms were gorgeous and designed to showcase the exotic beauty of Marrakech. The hotel staff were all incredibly friendly and helpful with anything and everything that came up. The hotel was spotless. The people at the front desk were friendly and eager to help at all times. The breakfast was served elegantly and was delicious. We were able to explore Marrakech and go on excursions--and then come back to a beautiful, elegant Riad with a spotless pool to cool ourselves off. It was perfect.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

We spent four nights at Riad Demeures d'Orient and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Very friendly staff who are always available to assist. We enjoyed two dinners in house which were tradtional Moroccan - a bit limited as far as the menu is concerned but that is Morocco - but still very nice.

Spacious suites - i'd suggest you request an upstairs suite as the gound floor ones are a bit more noisy with staff passing regularly.

We stayed three nights and then went up to Imlil in the High Atlas for some trecking and then came back for one night before flying out.

Overall a really enjoyable stay

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We had booked this Riad through our tour company Mountain Voyage and had a great stay. Everyone was very helpful, and the room was perfect for a family of four. Once we got our bearings we were easily able to walk around during the day. I would advise a taxi at night (in the whole of Marrakesh!). It was very restful to be able to come back and laze around the pool or on the upstairs deck.

Like others have said, the service here is understated. If you ask for something they are more than happy to oblige but it is not obtrusive. The hammam and spa were great too.

I recommend this if you want to stay somewhere quiet where the whole family can stay together in a real riad/medina experience. We went to Dar Marjana for dinner on our last night (not far from the riad) and had a great time, with excellent food and entertainment.

Room Tip: We had the Byzantine room with 2 extra beds which was perfect for a family of four.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I booked my stay at the Riad based on other reviews here and having never been to Marrakesh was very excited to experience my first time in Morocco. I was met at the airport by the Riad driver (who waited for me after my flight was almost 90 minutes late) and taken to the Riad (I was later told on my way home that there was a charge of $40 for this).

I stayed 4 nights in the Riad and enjoyed my time in Marrakesh. They property is beautiful and very well designed and outfitted. The lights at night are very intimate and beautiful. The room they booked my into was ENORMOUS, I was traveling alone and didn't need or request such large accommodations but was very pleased with the space provided. The bathroom and tub were very impressive.

My biggest gripe with this establishment with is with the service and price. As I was traveling alone and my first time in Morocco I was very open to ideas and suggestions as what I should do, the hotel staff offered absolutely no insight or advice on anything. That is ok, as I am an independent traveler I can figure things out on my own, but I would have expected better from a place like this. I had the pleasure of meeting many people staying at different Riads, where their experiences were very different. Their hosts had supplied them all the information about the town and arranged anything they desired, free of charge. As I toured the town, I also found the prices at other, equally beautiful Riads to be much better. Demeures was charging almost twice what could be had comparably elsewhere. When I brought this to the owners attention, it was ignored. I orginally booked 5 nights, but had to cancel the last night due to flight changes, which I informed the front desk about 3 days in advance, they unfortunately decided to charge my credit card for this 5th night anyways, even though the Riad was not even 50% full.

The Riad is not close to the central Plaza, but it is not very far either... nothing really is in the Medina, but something more centrally located would have been easier for multiple daily trips to the center.

Overall, not a terrible experience but also not the impeccable experience I would have expected for paying 5 star European prices.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Demeures d'Orient? Share your experiences!