“Wonderful stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Demeures d'Orient

You added Demeures d'Orient to your Saves list
Demeures d'Orient
5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Demeures d'Orient 10, Arset Ben Nasser | Riad Laarouss-Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #506 of 1,133 Marrakech B&B and Inns
California
“Wonderful stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We had booked this Riad through our tour company Mountain Voyage and had a great stay. Everyone was very helpful, and the room was perfect for a family of four. Once we got our bearings we were easily able to walk around during the day. I would advise a taxi at night (in the whole of Marrakesh!). It was very restful to be able to come back and laze around the pool or on the upstairs deck.

Like others have said, the service here is understated. If you ask for something they are more than happy to oblige but it is not obtrusive. The hammam and spa were great too.

I recommend this if you want to stay somewhere quiet where the whole family can stay together in a real riad/medina experience. We went to Dar Marjana for dinner on our last night (not far from the riad) and had a great time, with excellent food and entertainment.

Room Tip: We had the Byzantine room with 2 extra beds which was perfect for a family of four.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I booked my stay at the Riad based on other reviews here and having never been to Marrakesh was very excited to experience my first time in Morocco. I was met at the airport by the Riad driver (who waited for me after my flight was almost 90 minutes late) and taken to the Riad (I was later told on my way home that there was a charge of $40 for this).

I stayed 4 nights in the Riad and enjoyed my time in Marrakesh. They property is beautiful and very well designed and outfitted. The lights at night are very intimate and beautiful. The room they booked my into was ENORMOUS, I was traveling alone and didn't need or request such large accommodations but was very pleased with the space provided. The bathroom and tub were very impressive.

My biggest gripe with this establishment with is with the service and price. As I was traveling alone and my first time in Morocco I was very open to ideas and suggestions as what I should do, the hotel staff offered absolutely no insight or advice on anything. That is ok, as I am an independent traveler I can figure things out on my own, but I would have expected better from a place like this. I had the pleasure of meeting many people staying at different Riads, where their experiences were very different. Their hosts had supplied them all the information about the town and arranged anything they desired, free of charge. As I toured the town, I also found the prices at other, equally beautiful Riads to be much better. Demeures was charging almost twice what could be had comparably elsewhere. When I brought this to the owners attention, it was ignored. I orginally booked 5 nights, but had to cancel the last night due to flight changes, which I informed the front desk about 3 days in advance, they unfortunately decided to charge my credit card for this 5th night anyways, even though the Riad was not even 50% full.

The Riad is not close to the central Plaza, but it is not very far either... nothing really is in the Medina, but something more centrally located would have been easier for multiple daily trips to the center.

Overall, not a terrible experience but also not the impeccable experience I would have expected for paying 5 star European prices.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

We visited Marrakech to celebrate the birthday of my husband. Both the service and the experiences offered by the Riad Demeures d'Orient really made our time in Marrakech unforgettable. The Riad is very tranquil, secluded and romantic and the team's attention to detail and quality helped to make my husband's birthday a truly memorable one. The Riad is very well equipped and we sincerely appreciated the ambience, the cuisine and the hospitality. The chauffeur services offered by our personal driver Youssef was also greatly appreciated - particularly when travelling in and out of the Medina late at night. This was our first visit to Marrakech and it will not be our last. We look forward to our next visit!

Many thanks to Fouzia, Aalaedine and their team for their many kindnesses and making our experience truly memorable!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

Beautiful Riad in a very central location in the Medina. All rooms have different themes and are beautifully decorated. It is a very quiet and romantic Riad with a big pool in the centre with tables for breakfast and dinner scattered around. The perfect place to rest after a hectic day in the souk. The staff is very helpfull and friendly.

Room Tip: About 10 rooms all different but great
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

On arrival we met another couple there who told us it was their third stay in the Riad. That was a good signal and I must that it was an accurate one. The riad looks really luxurious without being showy and has a very special atmosphere of tranquility and discreet exoticism. The courtyard’s pool is much bigger than you would expect in a riad, the terrace has glorious views, the cocktail bar next to the pool is cozy and comfortable, and the restaurant looks great and intimate. We had dinner twice there and we really enjoyed their Moroccan dishes. They have also a lovely spa with a varied choice of massages and treatments.
Our room was the ‘Mandalay’ but on our request we had a chance to have a look at some of the others and all of them were great – personally I liked most the ‘Andalousia’ and ‘Fleur de Jade’. Everything was very clean and well maintained. The staff’s attitude was warm, helpful, discreet and efficient. To sum up, we enjoyed our stay in Demeures D’Orient very much and personally I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for an experience of Marrakech in style.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

We could not believe the beauty that was tucked away behind the doors of this hotel. We were glad that we arrived by taxi. It is tucked away in a warren of streets so we would never have found it even though it's not too far from the souk. The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful, while at the same time being completely non intrusive. We were there in Nov and experienced the delight of the cedar-wood fire warming our room when we returned in the evening. The spa treatments were excellent. I am coeliac and the staff went out of their way to ensure that they cooked food suitable for one who is gluten intolerant. We enjoyed sitting on the roof top terrace in the evening sun, looking over the roof tops of Marrakesh, listening to the call to prayer. Having spent a few days in the mountains this hotel provided exactly what we needed. After a day spent shopping in the souk it was a haven to some home to. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

We had an awesome stay in this Riad, where the quality of service, the welcoming and kindness of the staff were stunning.
This place is romantic and really fit fr young couple in their honey moon.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Ygdrassil, Manager at Demeures d'Orient, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
Dear Guest, thanks for your kind words about our Riad. As a policy we always try to personalize our service as much as possible, taking into account our guests' needs, requirements and interests. I am glad you found your stay satisfactory and your words are, really, the best reward for us. Thanks and best wishes!

Been to Demeures d'Orient? Share your experiences!