“Riad relaxation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #317 of 1,041 Marrakech B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Riad relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Riad Alhambra is, as others have said, a calm oasis in the medina. It was certainly interesting trying to find the riad in the medina streets; we had to resort to asking a local and paying a small fee for his trouble! The riad was beautifully decorated inside and the friends who came with us were very impressed.The streets are intentionally narrow, to create shadow and protect form the sun, and the design of the riads suits the local climate. Cool air sinks into the internal courtyard so seating areas and rooms are situated off this cool space. We definitely got a taste of traditional hospitality; the beds were very comfy, the staff were obliging and the roof terrace was a great place to soak up the sun. We were able to return even on checkout day, to relax on the terrace and have drinks, and leaving our luggage there for collection on the way to the airport.
It was a great weekend. Our only wish was to be able to stay longer.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Conwy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Wonderful location, kind and efficient staff and beautiful food! Would recommend it to anyone who would like to appreciate the beauty of the decor and the care taken by the owners with the sympathetic renovation of this ancient building. The views of the city from the panoramic terrace are breathtaking. We were immediately made to feel at home. Nothing was too much trouble for Hamid and the girls!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I spent a 4 day weekend in this gorgeous Riad in the middle of the souk in Marrakech and i couldnt have found a better place! Between the kindness and enthousiasm of the staff, the exquisit morrocan dishes and the facilities of the Riad, I spent 4 magical days and forgot all about work! Thank you for everything and I hope to come back very soon.
Marie

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This small riad is in the heart of the medina, only 10 minutes to the main square and 5 minutes from the souks. While the city can be quite chaotic, this riad proved to be a lovely haven in its midst. With numerous small nooks for reading and relaxing, along with beautiful rooms at a great price, this place is truly a gem! The breakfast was simple, but great and we enjoyed the option of being able to eat in the hotel for dinner if we so chose. The only thing is that dinners are actually quite expensive (almost the same price as the room) but still great to have the option if you so choose. The manager and his team were extremely helpful and hospitable, even walking with us to show us the route to major sites and arranging breakfasts for our early departures. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed with 2 friends in one of the wonderful rooms at this riad. We arrived on one of the rare rainy days by taxi and were met with such warmth and hospitality by Hamid and his staff. The riad is in the heart of the medina and the minute you step out on the street you are in the thick of the hustle and bustle. Only a ten minute walk (if you can tear yourself away from the stalls) through the amazing souks to the main square. The riad itself is just stunningly beautiful. Calm, immaculately clean and quiet with a lovely roof terrace. Food is amazing too with wine also. I absolutely loved Riad Alhambra and Marrakech and hope I will be back soon. (The mosque is very near and you get the prayers at 5am but in a week this only woke me up once and really it is such a part of Marrakech you can't complain). Hamid (the manager) and his staff are extremely attentive and helpful and made our holiday a very memorable experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My daughter and I just came back from a whole week in Marrakech and what an amazing city and what an amazing riad Dar Alhambra is! The riad is located right in the middle of the old souks. The door outside is ordinary but once you step inside, it is a piece of heaven, quiet, beautifully and traditionally decorated and extremely modern and comfortable. We arrived late in the afternoon and immediately got connected to the free wi fi in the riad and were offered cookies and mint tea which tasted really sweet and refreshing. A bit later, a simple dinner was served that consisted of chicken kebabs, lamb meatballs, a salad, bread, freshly squeezed orange juice and a complementary bottle of wine, which was a nice and welcoming surprise, as we booked the riad for bed and breakfast only. There are 6 rooms in the riad and we stayed in the one with the jacuzzi!

The riad is only a few minutes' walk from the famous square Djemaa el-Fna Square and all other attractions are within walking distance. The city is just as you would imagine, full of life, rich with spice smells, colour and shopping stalls. We tried different food wherever we went and an expensive meal in a well known restaurant but the food we loved the most is from the riad. The night before out flight, we had a meal in the riad, served in the living room with a live fire, candles and again a complementary bottle of wine. I must confess that I never fancied Moroccan food before and I was a bit hesitant in trying but the soup was so delicious that I had a second helping, the chicken couscous that came was on such a large place that I am sure it would feed 4 people easily and the meat just slid off the bones from the lamb tagine that we ordered. I was so impressed with the meal that I asked Fatina and Aziza (the two ladies who work in the kitchen all the time) for the recipes for the soup and the couscous and how they were cooked and they went out of their way to show me the ingredients by taking out the onions, the saffron etc, and even the cookware as they did not speak English and I don't speak French or Arabic, but in the end I got what I needed. Oh, you should also try the pancake at breakfast, it is just delicious :)

Hamid, the Riad Manager, was so charming and helpful and he would do anything to make our stay a happy and enjoyable one. He was there to greet us when we first arrived and he was there to see us off when we left. His English was limited but we had no problem understanding each other. He took us on a tour of the whole riad, we had a look in each of the six rooms, all decorated differently but equally beautiful and comfortable looking. I took a lot of pictures of the whole riad and will put them up here when I figure out how to upload them on the web.

Thank you Hamid, for everything and for being so thoughtful by giving us the bottle of water before we headed off for our dessert tour and for taking the trouble to make the calls on our behalf to confirm the time we were to get picked up from the riad before our flight and thank you Fatina and Aziza for the best Moroccan food I have ever tasted (I think you have made me a fan of Moroccan food now) and for allowing me to take the photos while you were making the amazing pancakes. Our camera got stolen on our first day in Marrakech but all of you made our stay in Morocco so worth it. We will definitely stay in your riad again if we visit Marrakech again.

If you are to visit Marrakech and are looking for a hotel there, this riad is the one for you. You won't be dissapointed.

Room Tip: The room downstairs has the jacuzzi.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I am almost reluctant to give away the secret of the Riad dar Alhambra. We had an absolutely amazing stay there. The Riad is beautiful, quiet, clean and so comfortable. I've never slept so well anywhere! Hamid, Azziza and Fatina, the three staff are the heart and soul of the place, and work tirelessly to ensure each person's stay is perfect. They were always smiling and laughing, warm and engaging, and went the extra mile to make us feel welcome. Hamid in particular was a kind, thoughtful and personable host, and we really connected. I was sad to leave and would go back in a heartbeat.

We particularly enjoyed that the Riad was a few minutes walk outside the hustle and bustle of the Djemaa el-Fna. The quieter pace made it easier for us to interact with people in the neighbourhood, and establish some favourite spots for a tea, bread or snack.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar Alhambra? Share your experiences!