“Average accommodation” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #438 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Average accommodation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The location of the hotel was good as it was only a few streets away from Avenue Mohamad V. The room we stayed in was clean and comfortable, the bathroom was also of the same standard. Although we didn't have much contact with the staff, they were still very friendly.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The location and standard of the rooms should place this hotel high for travellers, but the unhelpful, rude and money-grabbing staff let this place down.
The entrance to the hotel gives a great impression. There is a small pool in the breakfast area which is a great place to dangle your legs in (although the staff will eye you up if you actually went for a dip). There is a bar and cafe, but it is never staffed. Breakfast is standard - cake, pancake, bread, jam, butter, tea & coffee and boiled eggs. Beware of the small lifts for the claustrophobic, and the movement sensitive lights.
The rooms are great, large and bright with great central heating, extra pillows, balcony and clean sheets and towels. The rooms are cleaned daily and there is complimentary shampoo and body wash. The hot water is temperamental - best time seemed to be mid-day - but the water pressure is great.
By all accounts this hotel should rank highly. so why doesn't it? The simple answer is the staff.
On our last day after our tour we checked out early and asked for suggestions about what to do for few hours. The guy just used this as an excuse to try and push us with a full day tour inc. a transfer to the airport that we already had. We continually tried to steer him onto suggesting activities not selling to us - after all we had already given them 3 nights stay and very few people spoke English, so who else could we ask?
After giving up we asked if there was a book shop in Marrakesh, so I could get a new book and spend our day reading. Again he vaguely suggested we take a taxi to have a look around, indicating there might be something maybe in the Medina. His prices for the taxi was vastly overpriced - do not spend more than 50-100 Dirham to go from train station to airport. Once he realised we were not going to hand our money over to him, he immediately dropped us and refused to give us any more help. We ended up with a wasted day.
Incidentally the only bookshop we did find was in the gate lounge in the airport, and they had French and English.

Corail needs to rethink their staff choices before this hotel losses all good reputation.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms are more quiet (further away from the road vertically speaking)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Seville, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I was very surprised reading some of the negative views on this website - I recently spent two nights at this hotel in Marrakech and could not have been happier. My room was very nice, very clean, and very comfortable. In the bathroom I enjoyed the same levels of cleanliness- no signs of cockroaches or dust anywhere. The air conditioner worked just fine, and I had a very pleasant night sleep. The dining area is small, granted, but I had a very good dinner there, and the portions were hearty- I couldn't finish either of the 2 courses, but I did polish off the dessert! The staff was also very friendly, and chatted with us for a couple of minutes after our dinner. The breakfast, as another commentary observed, is simple but good, and the delicious freshly squeezed orange juice and freshly brewed coffee made it worth it. It's in a good location, and has a nice feel to it. The Wifi doesn't work in the bedrooms, but is fast and reliable in the lobby. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants an inexpensive, good option in an advantageous location in the city.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Hvolsvollur, Iceland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

The receptionist did not accept my voucher from Agoda.com and offered a room for much higher price. Demanded full prepayment in cash only. Did not let me see the room and did not give any information at all except 'you pay me now´.
After calling Agoda which did not help very much I just walked out. Fortunately this area does not lack other hotels. For a solo female traveler in a late evening first time in Marrakech this event was quite an experience.
I picked this hotel for it´s location. Mea culpa - did not read the reviews.

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Arrived from London late evening on April 15th with an agency voucher. Screamed at by a very aggressive male receptionist who refused, without checking his system, to accept the prepaid voucher issued by an internationally known broker. He said that the only option was to pay him directly. I contacted the agency on an expensive international call. They found that the hotel would not answer their calls to him even though the hotel had apparently been paid in advance in the usual way. On trying to pay him by credit card, he claimed that his machine was not working. He then told me to leave the hotel and I had no recourse but to do so. Primitive, racist response - the worst hotel experience in nearly ten years of regular travel to Morocco. This hotel has no leadership, and no service standards. I strongly suspect that this was a blatant attempt to defraud either the booking company or the client.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Stayed here at the end of January 2012 in a group of 8 people.

The hotel is in a good location in Guilez and is generally pretty clean. That's where the compliments end.

My problem was with the service and the backward way that the hotel operates.

For starters checking in was a nightmare becase firstly they do not have a card machine and secondly they couldn't work out how to devide a group booking with different room types so that everyone could pay individually...so guess what ? I had to work it out myself using a pen and paper at reception !!!

Secondly the way they name the rooms did not make sense to us. You would think that a Double room has a double bed in it aund Single room has a single bed. WRONG !!! A double room has two single beds and a Single room has a double bed in it. This meant that everyone was going to be in the opposite rooms to what they had paid for. Then not only that but everyone ended up with a mish mash of rooms anyway so it didn't really matter what room you booked because this was not taken into account when giving you a room anyway!

Thirdly the Wi-Fi was seriously flakey, which meant that it only worked in certain rooms or downstairs in reception. To be fair though, on reflection I was actually quite lucky to have any chance of Wi-Fi in such an establishment!!!

Lastly what really did it for us was the fact that on our last day when most of us had checked out but one of us had paid for another room for the night, they would not let us leave our luggage in our friends room and insisted we used the luggage room (if you can call it a room). Now I appreciate that they wouldn't want 8 of us using one room for the day but that was never going to be the case as we were going out for a few hours before returning to the hotel to pick up our bags en route to the airport. Now we made this very clear to them but they still insisted that we could not leave our bags in our friends room that had been paid for. Now that's just causing problems for the sake of it and then to top it all off, they wanted us to tip them for opening the luggage room to get our bags back!!!

Based on my experience I would definitely NOT recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

The room was clean but not too bright and the air conditioning was pretty good. The only creepy thing as a lone female was that the lights in the hallways come on via motion sensors (great for energy saving) however not so much fun in the evenings. The pool which you see from the lobby was a nice place to lounge and relax. I did not experience the bar or the restaurant here. Nearby the hotel is a minimall of sorts that is connected to the railway station (maybe a 5-7 minute walk) there is a McDonalds, KFC and a few other restaurants and convinience type stores located here. Overall I went to the front desk a few times, once complaining about the lights not turning on in my room, second to ask for a map and third to ask for food - each time the staff understood my request and tried thier best to help.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Corail Hotel? Share your experiences!