“One of the most attractive place. I disagree with GRANDMA and the complainers” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad & Spa Esprit du Maroc

Save Saved
You added Riad & Spa Esprit du Maroc to your Saves list
Riad & Spa Esprit du Maroc
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 a 17 derb Belbekkar | Zaouit Lhardar- Médina, Marrakech 40030, Morocco   |
Ranked #235 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
Geneva
“One of the most attractive place. I disagree with GRANDMA and the complainers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

Riad & Spa Esprit du Maroc is one of the best places I've ever stayed. I have been travelling over 40 countries all around the world from normal to luxurious hotels; here, I truly have to say that it's one of my favorites. First, the place itself has its charm, it is well-decorated throughout, the rooms are gorgeous, the smiling staff, it has all the composite of it being definitely a 5 star hotel quality. In addition with the great spa, it's just "WOW". There are many things to discover around, the culture, the market - being well-guided with professional staff. The staff are really nice - I don't see how some people are saying they control you. If you ask a question, they answer you, if you ask a service, they do it, if you need a taxi, they call for you, what more can someone ask? I find that they don't just do it 100%, but 1000% more then what was asked. When I was staying, the breakfast changes everyday, the dinner is good, the room is clean each time I return from outside visits; it's a proof of quality and care. I think complainers are grabbing from details - they are NEVER happy and I'm sure wherever they go, they'll complain - with negative minds and intention so that people will suffer like them. It's true that you can have a bad experience, but to criticize every single thing, every person, it's too exaggerated.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

My friend and I just left the Riad owned my Ms Sylvie. Our 3 day stay there was the worst experience I have ever had in all my years of traveling. The review by another guest is absolutely right on. Ms Sylvie tries to control your entire stay, and if you choose to leave the Hotel she threatens you. She went so far as to accuse us of not paying our bills and to call the airport and having our passage out of the country denied. She threatened to call the police and have us arrested. When we chose an excursions on our own, she called our guide constantly yelling at him, telling him we owed her money and to bring us back to her Riad. This was like a bad nightmare. Our lovely Holiday was ruined by her rage and anger. Not only had we paid, we prepaid and the money was already paid to her which she denied to our guide. We paid all the drivers she arranged and then she accused us of not paying them, which we had paid plus generous gratuity. We have later learned she charged us more than we could book the room right now. She also overcharged us on many services. The worst part was the extortion she was trying, by telling us if we did not pay we would not leave the country. We have all this is writing if anyone would need proof, she constantly sent us emails at least 5 a day, while we were trying to enjoy a desert camel ride( we arranged) she harrassed our guide constantly saying he was her staff and she controlled him. She sets up guides to take you shopping and he takes you to specific businesses he has connections with. We found out the prices were the most expensive and we were trapped in showrooms until we talked or bought our way out, all the time being grueled by the store owners. Our guide was in complete cahoots with the store owners and the guides are staff of Sylvie's from her own words. She told us when we wanted to book this excursion we could not, that it was impossible so we did it on our own, cutting her out the kickback. She did not want us to leave her Riad for dinner and only leave with her guides, and when we did she would not get out of our face. We had a short time in Marrakesh and wanted to see the beautiful country and meet the people, not live with Ms. Sylvie. If you are planning a trip to Marrakesh please contact us and we will give you the name of a great driver and guide. I could go on and on, but threatening two woman from America that they would not leave the country should speak for itself, and others will be notified of these threats to our safety. Buyer beware, this is a very scarry and dangerous operation motivated by greed and control. She will probably respond but please consider the source, my friend is an attorney and we have the facts.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
lisbonne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

Fantastic localization in the middle of the Medina. Very well organized the support for transportation to the Hotel since there is no car traffic nearby. Complete surprise because we must go through a labyrinth “tunnel” before the arrival to the small entrance of the Riad. After we pass the door we enter a beautiful, astonishing and charming palace of The Arabian Nights. The Hotel is very well decorated, the personnel extremely delicate and friendly. The rooms are fantastic, and there are small charming corners and spots to rest as the roof esplanade or the interior patios. Sherazade didn’t appear but the ambiance was very warm. There is one problem for people with mobilization difficulties there are no lifts and the stairs are narrow with high steps. Is the price to pay for the experience of living in a traditional old Marrakesh palace.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
luxembourg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

We went for 5 days to this RIAD via a touroperator in Belgium. First of all, the arrival. The transferts were organised by our touroperator, and were quite a disaster. Nobody seems to know the riad, as there are so many of them. The owner of the riad told us ( we were completely soaked at our arrival ) that it was not his job to send somebody to pick us up at the entrance of the medina. Strangely enough, somebody accompanied us when we left! No services were given if no monetary compensation was foreseen, as we understood later.
First of all, the positive things. All the lovely people ( and this does exclude the owners most definitely ) working at this riad. Excellent contacts and service, congratulations guys. But then, let me come straight to the business, the lady ( if you can really speak about a lady ) of the house. As the number of occupied rooms were rather limited, we were continuously bombarded with their services, going from eating there, taking a guide, book the hammam, book a restaurant ( of course, if they book, they receive a fee too ). I got the feeling I was less bothered in the souks then by this Sylvie, somebody who tought she really had the right commercial approach. The whole approach was based upon sacking as much as possible revenus on your stay in this riad. The second day I kindly let her know that I was not at work here, so it was certainly not up to here to organise my days. If you were not dining there, you were rather unpleasantly submitted to a hearing, in which you were more or less obliged to state the name of the restaurant you were going to. She propsosed to book, as again there is a fee flowing back to the riad if they book in their name.
I would only recommend this riad for people being quite happy to stay in the riad, taking all the services, eating there all the time, then you will be certainly considered by Miss Sylvie de Paris as an excellent client. Because don't forget: YOU ARE THERE TO MAKE THE OWNERS HAPPY, AND NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.
PS The lovely blue swimming pool you see in the pictures was rather green in these days and could not be used. Just in case!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
dodgeMaroc, Proprietaire at Riad & Spa Esprit du Maroc, responded to this review, March 11, 2010
Thank you for your message.
"5 days of happiness ...." I think you forgot the beautiful word you wrote in our guestbook and you sign?. Your room Oasis had also appreciated. We are guest house and we are and do customization for our customers. We have a guest house table for meal, and we do not prepare our meals in advance; we do not vacuum or other prepared food. We ask our customers if they want dinner or lunch and offer our menus different each day to make the fresh market. We can make dinner last minute but it's always better to prepare for any customers often passes SPA qq. hours or are in the gym and Then dine at Riad as they feel at home.
If you are shocked we're sorry because you haven’t undestand what, it the principle of a guest house, doing tailored for our clients. Et apparently you were happy . Why did you write this review I not understand. You did not like me, why not? We are professionnel person and i wort with your TO such long years and i had never such thing for my guest.Fortunately the Most of our customers shipments nice message and all indeed return to Belgium we have an excellent reputation and have had several article Journalists who have heaped praise on our I think establishing that the product Hotel is closest to your expectations ... “5 days of happiness and you write also See you soon! A bientôt ! in our Riad you write to your .... arrival ^ you got your full rain and strong precipitations des torrential rains, we're there for nothing and you know very, very well. The driver of the TO could not enter in the medina unfortunately seen weather. Note beautiful pool was This evening after contaminated by Rain and sand. We had as must change the water in the emptying. You also greatly appreciated the Hammam / body scrub, which was Exceptional like you we have nicely said. Why say such things on Trip Advisor! We are a ôtes house with food, a spa it is normal that our customers enjoy this beautiful place, and that we let them listen to it being called professionals. Thank you for the compliments on the Service and congratulations for your apparently we have trained our personal real professionals we are. What you do not like me appreciated, it can happen in all schools. I wish you bonne continuation.And i hope you will return like you wrote in my Gold book and you will take some times to speak with me Sylvie and you will know me better. You are well come twince again !!Purhaps some body told you bad think to have tip or from the guide. Thank a lot for your information. But we are always at the service of guest and all come back soon....And send me nice message on my mail when they return and thank for attention i give for all. .
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

IF YOU PLAN ON GOING TO MARRAKECH YOU COULD NOT ASK FORE MORE. The arrival was very strange (in a good way) I won't give it away you will find out for yourself. Which makes entering the Riad even more spectacular. I am an Interior Designer for over 40 years and Sylvia the owner did a incredible job,The pictures on the web site do not do it justice. She is a delight and the staff could not do enough. They were great. My party lasted 5 days . We had dinner there 4 nights which was incredible.My friends one night hired a belly dancer as a surprise, I was a little taken back at first but turned out to be a lot of fun. My party was made up of friends from Brittan, Holland, Sweden, Germany,Spain, Australia, New Orleans, Seattle, And I am from New York. Every one can not stop talking about our time there

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

What an incredible experience! The owner, Sylvie, is so gracious, and her staff are lovely. As an interior designer, I have to say that it was all done beautifully. I went with a large group, and we had the Riad to ourselves, so it felt like our own bit of Paradise. The wonderfull spa right there in the Riad was an added treat as well. I hope I'm able to go again!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
antwerp
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

We stayed for 3 days at the RIAD ESPRIT DU MAROC in Marrakech.
Reaching the riad was a little bit spookey : the taxi from the airport dropped us at the edge of the Medina and souks of Marrakech where a boy from the hotel came to welcome us and brought us to the Riad Esprit du Maroc. We walked through narrow streets, entered a rather dark looking tunnel with only some nice looking doors ( somehow a little bit reassuring though... ) to finally arrive at the entrance of our riad. Once the door opened and getting inside was like entering a palace. The contrast between in- and outside could not be bigger ! We were very warmly welcomed by the host and owner of the Riad and taken right to the garden-salon where excellent "Thé à la menthe" was served. The very frienldy manager told us about the history of the riad, explained how things were organised and proposed help for getting around. She arranged for a personal guide to visit the city, the palaces and the souks ( where you otherwise get lost ! ) in the afternoon, a private taxi with excellent driver-guide to visit the Palm erraie and gardens of Marrakesh and the new city the next morning and on the third day a mountaintrip to the waterfalls ( on our request with the same driver ). We got a private Hamman ( with personal bodyscrub and excellent body massage ), excellent lunches and diners prepared specially for us with the most delicious super fresh tagines upon our request. We never had the same meal during those 3 days and all of them just tasted extraordinnary. The Riad Esprit du Maroc is a small palace, a real diamond or pearl, with only a few rooms in 2 connected buildings, a private Hamman, private small swimming pool and a wonderfull terrace on the roof where you can get a breathtaking overview of the old city of Marrakesh, the most magnficent sunsets .... all while being pamperd like princes by the most friendly, polite, discrete and very helpfull staff. The rooms are very delicately decorated , spacious, nice private bathroom, high decorated ceilings and large guilded doors.... and very silent ! You cannot immagine the contrast between the silence and completely relaxed athmosphere inside the Riad and the busy and noisy life on the streets around it in the haerth of the Medina of Marrakesh.
All points of interest of old Marrakesh at your feet and within walking distnce. A truly excellent experience which we will surely try to repeat ! The best way to discover Marrakesh and get the best out of everything .

We warmly recommend the Riad Esprit du Marco to all travelers seeking this extra value and very special experience to get plunged into the life of the former sultans of Marrakesh. This very personal experience can never be matched by one of the big international hotels in the new city, whatever luxury theu might offer.

Martine and Chris D'Hont
Belgium

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad & Spa Esprit du Maroc? Share your experiences!