“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Guilford, CT
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014 NEW

My husband and I had dinner here. We had reservations and were greeted at the entrance and let into the garden. We were directed to sit at a dirty wine stained table when we went up to the bar because all of the tables were dirty before it being cleaned and our drink order taken. I was not too happy about this as I was wearing white pants and did not want to get my clothes dirty because the staff was insisting we sit someplace before they cleaned it up.
Dinner service was very good, mojitos were very weak, I question if any rum was even put in my drink. I had the chicken tangine, it was OK but I was surprised to be served a chicken leg on the bone as the meat part of the meal at at a price that was about $25 USD. So I would rate the food as OK. The highlight of dinner was my dessert. I had the orange meringue.
The restaurant does give you a feedback form. Dinner for 2 with 2 drinks each main course and dessert came to about 100 USD, very pricey for what we got.I filled out the feedback form better than I felt the restaurant deserved because I was not in the mood to have a discussion as to why I felt some aspects were not up to my standards. I also received an email from the hotel asking me for my review. I didn't use the link because again, I am not going to debate what I put on the feedback form as someone who worked there was standing over me and reading. If the restaurant wants my real opinion, now they have it.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

89% Recommend
Norway
“Good atmosphere and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014 NEW

The location is not perfect as it is located at the end of the kasbah. However, food is excellent (at least what we got) and the service good.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Interesting setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was only a short walk from where we were staying and we did not want to fight the crowds in the town centre. The restaurant is situated in the rear garden which is a lovely, interesting setting and not what you woulde expect from the front.
Service was excellent as we ordered pre meal drinks while perusing the menu. The food was very good and we were treated to complimentary liquers. Compared to previous night when we had excellent food in the main square the overall bill was nearly three times as much!

Visited July 2014
L F, Directeur général at Les Jardins de la Medina, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you very much for your comment regarding the Les Jardins de la Medina restaurant.

We are delighted to encourage our guests and other visitors to discover the charms of Jamaa El Fna open air food stall, which for 3 centuries at least have been delighting discerning visitors from around the world as well as satisfying local palates. These little stalls, set up each evening at dusk and removed each night offer simple, popular and tasty Moroccan cuisine, although quality may vary from one stall to another. With dishes starting at 6 Dh for a bowl of harira soup, Jamaa El Fna food stalls offers something for all budget and tastes. We suggest you count about 60 Dhs per person, and strongly recommend Aicha’s stand (number 1), who’ll be delighted to welcome you, especially if you tell her we sent you! We’d like to remind you that no alcohol is served at any of the food stalls.

Obviously, our guest house and boutique hotel restaurant is also at your disposal and offer a more gastronomical experience.
Thanks again!
Luc Fougere
London
“A true Oasis - if only the food was a little better!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

If this was just about the food, then it would be a 2* max but eating around the pool, with the very mellow strains of a live guitarist across the courtyard, brings out the romantic! Set in a beautiful, hidden city-centre Riad, the ambience and refinery is an absolute joy. The setting is literally perfect. The staff are attentive and very professional. The menu was quite short and typically representative of Moroccan food BUT it was 35 degrees out at 9pm and I really wanted some grilled meat or fish with a salad and not a tagine of couscous! For such a luxury establishment, I think the lack of choice was woeful. The food itself was well - prepared, nicely presented and very enjoyable. The lack of choice was inexcusable though. The wine list is expensive and at £220 for 3 of us, grossly over-priced. Romantic - definitely. Would I go back? Definitely not.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
L F, Directeur général at Les Jardins de la Medina, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Sir,
Having read your comment, I can only wonder whether you may have confused the Jardins de la Medina with another establishment.
Our menu offers 48 dishes ‘a la carte’ as well as 4 extra menus to satisfy all tastes and budgets Of these 48 dishes, about one third are Moroccan and there are only 5 couscous. Our menu also offers tangias, mourouzias, pastillas, fresh salads and other traditional recipes. The full menu is available in English on our website.

Our restaurant also explores culinary delights from around the world, including Italian, thai and french dishes, as well as the personal creations of our chef and revisited moroccan dishes with foreign twists. Judging by the overwhelmingly positive comments found here, the vast majority of our guests are delighted by both the range of dishes available and the quality of their dining experience.
Every evening, grilled meat aficionados can enjoy ‘Rack of lamb in its juice with carrot purée, Rossini fillet of beef or delicious curry wok. Depending on the quality of meat available with our suppliers, we also offer steak and flank steak.

We are also happy to cater to vegetarians with a wide range of tasty dishes to choose from.
As you mention wine in your comment, we are happy to remind you that we offer the widest selection of wines by the glass in Marrakech with 16 different wines available to sample each and every night for refined palates to enjoy local wines at the best possible prices. All told, our wine list includes more than 30 different wines, and we strive despite high taxes to provide reasonable prices for all budgets and are proud to be significantly cheaper than other esteemed and renowned establishments.

Thank you again for your comment which has provided us with an opportunity to highlight our wide selection of dishes and our generous and competitively priced wines list. We invite readers to browse other guests comments for an accurate description of our services.

Best regards from Marrakesh
Montpellier, France
“Great food, great setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We came in for a romantic lunch before leaving Marrakech. What a beautiful setting right in the Medina of Marrakech. It's pretty amazing how luxurious the gardens are in the middle of this wonderful setting, the name of the restaurant is well deserved! It seems at least 10 degrees cooler, and the relaxing atmosphere overlooking the pool and the gardens had us feeling like royalty as the server brought us our delicious (and not watered down!) drinks. We enjoyed the service and the meal thoroughly, and we wished we had come earlier in our stay, we definitely would have come for dinner as well.