“The most wonderful relaxing and friendly place to stay in Marrakech” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad L'Orchidee

You added Riad L'Orchidee to your Saves list
Riad L'Orchidee
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   42-43 Sidi Bouamar - Riad Laarouss | Médina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #160 of 469 Hotels in Marrakech
Certificate of Excellence 2014
COVENTRY
“The most wonderful relaxing and friendly place to stay in Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

After much research and worry about were to stay for my first time in Marrakech. I found the this Riad. It really ticked all the boxes and live up to mine and my boyfriends expectations. The staff were wondeful, polite helpful and friendly, the decor was really tasteful and elegant. The breakfast was traditional Arabic yet something slightly different each day, we loved the home made cake and the hot pancakes.

The roof terrace was very private and great for a little February sun and relaxation. I decided to try one of the massages on offer, it was a fantastic deep tissue massage to take away all the strain and stress I had brought on holiday with me. The lady masseuse was brilliant and understood what I needed despite my complete lack of the French language.

One thing I would recommend is taking the offer of the Airport transfer for 15euros. Its worth it as it can be a little hard to find at first. But we were soon orientated after the second day.

A big thank you to Jean Christopher, Jamal and all the staff and this wonderful Riad

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

I stayed in this riad for a few days in June and absolutely enjoyed it! First off, the prices are reasonable and are perfect for solo travelers like myself and also for couples. One thing to remember is that this Riad is in the medina (part of the old city) and so, like most everything in this part of Marrackech, is accessible by a series of quaint winding roads and alleyways. That said, the riad is not hard to find using the directions provided by the staff. It's pretty close to the Jama El Fna (the main square in the city which bustles with activity all the time) so you can just walk there and back as often as you like!

If you fly in to Marrakech, the riad offers a car pick up (around $20 that you pay the driver) which saves a lot of time haggling with Marrakech taxi drivers! If you take the train or the bus over, taxis tend to drop you off nearby and you just walk down the rest of the way.

Marrakech is hot in the summer and after a long flight, it's great to be able to come into a cool, pleasant place right away (the riad has high ceilings and the common areas are all naturally cool). Check in was really easy and I was offered a drink (a lovely cup of traditional Moroccan mint tea and a couple of snacks) while all my paperwork was processed. The rooms themselves are really nice. Mine was air-conditioned (I believe they all are) and the construction is fairly solid and keeps out all the street noise -- thereby allowing for undisturbed sleep! One thing that is important to note is that there is a common pool in the center courtyard area. It's a decent size..not big enough to do laps in but after coming in from a hot afternoon in the town it's really refreshing to be able to just jump in and relax for a bit. When I stayed here, there was just one other couple so it wasn't crowded at all, so you almost always have the pool and common areas to yourself! I was there during the world cup season and I caught a couple of the games on the TVs in the common area. The living-room like atmosphere made it feel pretty cozy.

Breakfast was included in the total package and was continental on all days, with some moroccan bread (excellent!) thrown in a couple of times. You're usually served your meal so that feels nice and personal. I don't believe there's any buffet service. I was told that other meals could be arranged by the kitchen staff (at an additional charge) but Marrakech has lots of restaurants as well so I didn't eat anything else outside of breakfast there. The kitchen also had lots of drinks on offer (I believe for a few dollars).

The staff speak French and English so no communication problems for this American! They're all very friendly and helpful. It's interesting to note here too that when you head back to the riad after a day out on the town, you ring a door bell and they open it up...makes it feel a lot more personal i think! Definitely didn't feel like a hotel..but more like staying at a friend's place...which is really nice as it gives you an idea of what it's like to have an authentic moroccan experience.

If you're a single backpacker or if you're with a group of friends wanting to spend a few days in Marrakech taking in some of the sights and just relaxing afterward, I'd recommend this riad. It's definitely worth the price, and I'd love to stay here again if I return to the city!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

I was a bit worried when I booked this riad over the internet. It is fairly new, so although it is listed on websites, I couldn't actually find any reviews. I was also a little put off at first by being requested to send details of my credit card, including the security code on the back, over an insecure email! I said no thanks but later noticed that they had paypal listed on their website and used this to pay the deposit. Apparently the person who requested my credit card details is no longer there and I didn't have enough French to query why this request was made.

However, Catrin picked us up at the airport, at no cost, and brought us to the riad door. There is parking a few streets away. The entrance is down some cobbled lanes, where local children will ask you for 'une bon bon.' Very atmospheric but we felt perfectly safe here, even when returning late at night with our own children. As far as locale goes, its about 8 mins walk to Cafe Arabe and 15 minutes to the Place El Fnna and less to the souk entrance. You can't get lost, just follow the big red wall. If you are well and truly exhausted, you can get a taxi and just say 'Riad Larouse' and they drop you off at the parking area.

Inside the riad is lovely, just like the pictures on the internet. We stayed downstairs in the Capucine room, complete with en suite and our two girls aged 7 and 10 stayed in the room next door. We looked out onto a beautiful candle lit plunge pool with backdrop waterfall. A welcome respite from the assault of the souks. The riad is new, so everything is fresh, the fittings are tasteful. My only comment is that although there is a nice terrace where you can sip a beer, or wine, or mint tea it doesn't look like the pictures. There weren't any plants nor grass when we were there.

The staff are very helpful although the owner lives elsewhere. At night there is cheerful Adil and by day Catrin and Khadiza. Khadiza cooks breakfast, sometimes pancakes, sometimes a fresh chocolate cake, plenty of coffee or hot chocolate. She even washed my daughter's clothes when she fell down a manhole. Khadiza also helped with my verb and tense conjugation when my high school french failed....and our girls loved her. They are very helpful with any requests and although its probalby more 'romantic' than 'family' in decor, they were fantastic with the kids and very accomodating. Khadiza had her husband bring around a charger for my phone and Adil ran home one night to get us a dvd.

The only other bother was the cash only basis. But as long as you know that in advance, it's okay. They can also arrange trips, massages etc or you can do your own thing. Catrin also dropped up back at the airport for our flight at no extra charge.

All in all, we loved our time there. Take a french dictionary though.

• Liked — the decor and the staff
  • Disliked — it was all above expectations
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Riad L'Orchidee? Share your experiences!