“Wonderful Relaxing Hotel in the Middle of Marrakech” 5 of 5 stars

Maison MK
14 Derb Lafkih Sbaai | Quartier Ksour, Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #10 of 464 Hotels in Marrakech
Guildford
“Wonderful Relaxing Hotel in the Middle of Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

We decided to spend New Years Eve 2009 in Marrakech and selected Maison MK because of its location and because we like boutique hotels.

We had a wonderful time. The hotel is really stylish and is in a great location. The staff were all extremely helpful and friendly. The only (very minor) quibble was the piped music in the hotel which got a bit repetitive (Paul - you need to get some more CDs!).

Overall, if you want a bit of luxury and tranquility in the heart of Marrakech stay at Maison MK - we'll definitely be going back.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Its coming up to a year since my husband and I stayed in Maison MK and we are still talking about it and still recommending it to anyone who mentions going to Marakkech.
The whole place was amazing; The decor, the attention to detail, the comfort and especially the service.
The staff recommended and booked restaurants for us every night and they never disappointed. One night, one of the staff even accompanied us to the restaurant to show us a short cut!
The roof top terrace was incredible and the highlight of our trip was most definitely a meal there that the staff at MK cooked for us. They decorated the terrace for my birthday and truly spoilt us - it was certainly a day to remember!
I have nothing negative to say about this place, we were constantly surprised by additional touches that made sure we are still talking about our stay a year on - a super cool place!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

My wife and I stayed for 5 days and 4 nights at Maison MK and had an absolutely wonderful visit. The staff is wonderful and really make you feel comfortable and at home while taking care of your every need. The location is great, and the Riad is very comfortable and relaxing. The rooms are very plush with nice big tubs and great ambiance. I completely recommend it as it's great to have such a nice calm place to return to after touring the often hectic streets of Marrakech. We did a tour of the city and a trip to the mountains that we booked with the hotel and both were very enjoyable. Pauline even took us shopping for lighting one day. We hope to return soon!!!

On a side note, stop by Moustafa's leather shop that's just a half block up from the riad (towards the gate). Amazing handmade bags, poofs, and slippers from a really nice guy who's not going to rip you off. WAY cheaper and nicer than the junk they try and sell you in the souks.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

Like many others before, I had read the reviews of Maison MK and could not really believe that it would be as great as people said.... Like the many others who have been lucky enough to stay here, it more than exceeded our expectations!

In this day and age it can be hard to live up to the hype, but this Riad is just amazing. We had researched countless other properties and narrowed the choices down to three. I emailed Paul and got a great response, despite him being back in England at the time. The other places didn't seem to really bother, and were not personalised - Paul took the time and effort to make us feel welcome, even before we actually got there. This set the scene of things to come...

I cannot add much more to what has already been said. A fantastic property, dreat central location, wonderful bedrooms, amazing roof terrace (a great place to chill out!), delicious breakfasts overlooking the mountains, great spa, fabulous restaurant, the decadent Camel Room....

I think what sets this place apart is the attention to detail and the service. This is where Paul and his people have got it exactly right. They get an idea of what 'type' of stay you're after, be it chilling out, sightseeing, etc and tailor your trip for you by making great suggestions for restaurants and activities.

We just wanted to relax during the day and eat out in great places in the evenings. All of the recommendations were brilliant, with everything arranged for you. There are few places in the world where this level of attentiveness is given. Everyone truely makes an effort to make you feel special - totally unique!

The extra touches such as the flask of coffee in the morning, afternoon tea and cake, iPod and mobile phone, just took the experience to an even higher level.

The team certainly deserve all of the credit that they are getting and will no doubt continue to get in the future. This is surely the only place to stay when in Marrakech - we will certainly be back!

Thanks!

M&M

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We stayed at the Maison MK in June 2009 and have only the best things to say about it so please read on.... Our experience started in London when Paul Hopkins ( the owner ) approached me and took me completely by surprise at the airport at London. To this day I have not worked out how he identified me on a full flight to Morocco but he assures me it was fairly straight forward...I suppose he knows his clients very well... Right form the airport in London we were made to feel most welcome at the Maison MK. Our every need was not only met, it was actually pre-empted and arranged without us even asking!
We really could not ask for more... The staff are attentive, the setting is soo beautifully decorated. Our transport, dinners and nights out on the town were all carefully arranged and exactly to our taste. The ipod and mobile phones provided to each guest are a lovely touch. Thankyou to Paul and his team for an unforgettable few days. We will certainly be going back and making sure all our friends do to!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Nantwich, Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

We've just returned home after spending our Honeymoon in Marakech staying at Maison MK.

What can we say that others haven't said on here before us........? Not a lot really as the reviews sum up Maison MK brilliantly.

From the moment we booked until the moment we were dropped off at the airport to leave Paul (the 'very hands on' owner) and all the staff were extremely helpfull with no request too much trouble. The rooms are stunning and certainly the very best hotel / Riad we have ever experienced in all of our travels.

This really is an oasis of trendy calm and tranquility within the hussle & bussle that is Marakech.

Thank you Paul and all staff for making our honeymoon such a wonderfull, memorable and romantic occasion. If we decide to return to Marakech in the future there is only one place we'll be staying!!!

Chris & Sarah
Nantwich, Cheshire

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

I visited Marrakech for 4 days in mid-july; my first visit to Morocco and what an amazing trip it turned out to be. And a highlight of my trip was my choice of hotel or riad. Getting the hotel right in the first instance is reassuring and you just know your holiday is off to a great start.

Even before my flight, I received a pdf guide to the city with travelling tips and advice from the hotel. A first for me! Fussy traveller that I am, I emailed a request that all my pillows and duvet be feather-free and within minutes received a nice reply from Pauline saying that all my bedding would be synthetic as requested. Greeted at the airport by a friendly driver and welcomed at the hotel with a fragrant mint tea and home-made pastry. The hotel is exquisitely decorated, modern, clean and calming. An oasis from the din and clamour outside. It’s the little touches that warms you to this place: the petals on the bed, complimentary waters, ipod-music facilities, remote air-con, hot flask of coffee on your doorstep in the morning. At every turn, you’re confronted with some interior-design touch that just smacks of great thought and care and if you’re into interior lighting as I am, then you’ll delight in this place. It might be modern and chic, but at the same time it can be a nice romantic getaway, with charming areas like the tv/reading room, that’s an inviting den, the only sound coming from the trickling waterfall feeding the interior pool.

I have to admit, that I travel on business quite a lot and my company usually put it up at big, swanky, chain hotels; so the prospect of staying in a small place with just 6 rooms made me somewhat nervous. But, as I was to discover, therein lies the charm of the MK Maison. I only saw one other couple besides us and I felt the place was very much ours; the staff were always present, but quietly hovered in the background. And on the subject of staff, we were very lucky that the manager, Pauline, was on duty during our stay. I was keen to sample some of the best cuisine and I roped in Pauline to book some of my restaurants and get her advice on trips to the Atlas mountains. I even invited her to join us for breakfast on the roof terrace and meeting her was a real highlight; beautiful, friendly, charming and utterly sincere. Thanks Pauline, you made our holiday.

Our room was very comfortable, and on occasion a real retreat from the 38 degree heat. I peeped into an adjacent room to our right (the door was open and it was unoccupied) and was astonished at its huge size and glamorous fittings; probably far too expensive for me and no doubt the room where Jamie Oliver purportedly grabbed forty winks. The hotel has a restaurant for dinner, but as I generally like to savour the cuisine in diverse restaurants (try the Comptoir in the new town and Dar Yacout) for atmosphere and dare-I-say raucous belly dancing, I rarely ate in. However, I did enjoy a romantic dinner on our last night at the MK and had a memorable poached pear desert. I would always recommend eating out, but if you need to unwind on your first night without the hassle of finding food, then by all means, eat in, but don’t expect the vibrant buzz of a restaurant that can only be had in the medina.

Marrakech can be quite exhausting; the sensory overload from the souks and the square is best relieved by some gentle pampering in the form of a ‘relaxation massage’ from MK’s in-house masseuse, Hasnaa. I was transported into another world. My only regret was that I discovered Hasnaa on my last night; wish I got in at least a couple, but at €50 it was quite a luxury.

Maison MK has a quaint location at a turning in a narrow lane, that makes you feel you’re in a local neighbourhood and importantly you are just minutes away from the main square. My girlfriend who is a keen photographer, couldn’t get enough pictures of these alleyways as we strode back to our hotel in the late evening. I have taken lots of photos and video and if I get time one day, I would like to edit the video and upload it.

And another thing I will always remember MK Maison for, will surely be the cutest tea-bags. I asked for one to take home, and the delightful Abdou slipped me three (shh…). What’s so special about those, darn tea-bags…. Well, you’ll have to find out yourself, and if you live in London like me, it’s a mere 3 1/2 hours away.
Vijay

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Maison MK? Share your experiences!