“Heavenly Chic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
London
“Heavenly Chic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

I visited Marrakech for 4 days in mid-july; my first visit to Morocco and what an amazing trip it turned out to be. And a highlight of my trip was my choice of hotel or riad. Getting the hotel right in the first instance is reassuring and you just know your holiday is off to a great start.

Even before my flight, I received a pdf guide to the city with travelling tips and advice from the hotel. A first for me! Fussy traveller that I am, I emailed a request that all my pillows and duvet be feather-free and within minutes received a nice reply from Pauline saying that all my bedding would be synthetic as requested. Greeted at the airport by a friendly driver and welcomed at the hotel with a fragrant mint tea and home-made pastry. The hotel is exquisitely decorated, modern, clean and calming. An oasis from the din and clamour outside. It’s the little touches that warms you to this place: the petals on the bed, complimentary waters, ipod-music facilities, remote air-con, hot flask of coffee on your doorstep in the morning. At every turn, you’re confronted with some interior-design touch that just smacks of great thought and care and if you’re into interior lighting as I am, then you’ll delight in this place. It might be modern and chic, but at the same time it can be a nice romantic getaway, with charming areas like the tv/reading room, that’s an inviting den, the only sound coming from the trickling waterfall feeding the interior pool.

I have to admit, that I travel on business quite a lot and my company usually put it up at big, swanky, chain hotels; so the prospect of staying in a small place with just 6 rooms made me somewhat nervous. But, as I was to discover, therein lies the charm of the MK Maison. I only saw one other couple besides us and I felt the place was very much ours; the staff were always present, but quietly hovered in the background. And on the subject of staff, we were very lucky that the manager, Pauline, was on duty during our stay. I was keen to sample some of the best cuisine and I roped in Pauline to book some of my restaurants and get her advice on trips to the Atlas mountains. I even invited her to join us for breakfast on the roof terrace and meeting her was a real highlight; beautiful, friendly, charming and utterly sincere. Thanks Pauline, you made our holiday.

Our room was very comfortable, and on occasion a real retreat from the 38 degree heat. I peeped into an adjacent room to our right (the door was open and it was unoccupied) and was astonished at its huge size and glamorous fittings; probably far too expensive for me and no doubt the room where Jamie Oliver purportedly grabbed forty winks. The hotel has a restaurant for dinner, but as I generally like to savour the cuisine in diverse restaurants (try the Comptoir in the new town and Dar Yacout) for atmosphere and dare-I-say raucous belly dancing, I rarely ate in. However, I did enjoy a romantic dinner on our last night at the MK and had a memorable poached pear desert. I would always recommend eating out, but if you need to unwind on your first night without the hassle of finding food, then by all means, eat in, but don’t expect the vibrant buzz of a restaurant that can only be had in the medina.

Marrakech can be quite exhausting; the sensory overload from the souks and the square is best relieved by some gentle pampering in the form of a ‘relaxation massage’ from MK’s in-house masseuse, Hasnaa. I was transported into another world. My only regret was that I discovered Hasnaa on my last night; wish I got in at least a couple, but at €50 it was quite a luxury.

Maison MK has a quaint location at a turning in a narrow lane, that makes you feel you’re in a local neighbourhood and importantly you are just minutes away from the main square. My girlfriend who is a keen photographer, couldn’t get enough pictures of these alleyways as we strode back to our hotel in the late evening. I have taken lots of photos and video and if I get time one day, I would like to edit the video and upload it.

And another thing I will always remember MK Maison for, will surely be the cutest tea-bags. I asked for one to take home, and the delightful Abdou slipped me three (shh…). What’s so special about those, darn tea-bags…. Well, you’ll have to find out yourself, and if you live in London like me, it’s a mere 3 1/2 hours away.
Vijay

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

555 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

We stayed in Maison MK for four nights in July. The service was excellent from the friendly and helpful staff. The hotel, though small, was lovely with comfortable, air-conditioned rooms and breakfast on the rooftop was beautiful. The location of the hotel was also really good because we could walk everywhere (when it wasn’t too hot!) We would recommend Maison MK as it is the perfect spot to stay in such a busy city.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

At the risk of repeating others... this is what you're looking for when it comes to a bit of calm luxury in a mad-cap city. Yes, you pay - relative to other establishments - but it's worth it: nothing is too much trouble for the delightful staff. Superb food; sumptuous accommodation. Everything has been thought of in advance (a mobile phone for when you get lost? an ipod to jiggle with? - don't get that a lot do you?) and if it hasn't been thought of, they'll try to sort it for you on request. We mentioned we coveted their water glasses. Within the hour a set was in our room ready for export. The Spa? Small but perfectly formed and equally well staffed. And to be able to have a dip in the plunge pool with the resident yellow plastic duck - in that heat - fantastic. Like Arnie, We'll Be Back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

After much searching on the internet for somewhere special for our honeymoon, we decided on Maison MK-and we were not disappointed. We were upgraded to the master suite which was beautiful, the service you recieve is second to none-nothing was to much bother for the staff. Pauline was especially helpful during our stay.

We only ate once at the riad, and the food was delicious! i wish we had eaten there more!

We did use the spa also and the treatments were very good.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

Having initially only booked three nights in Maison MK, we liked it so much we decided to come back after our travels elsewhere in Morocco. The Riad is beautiful and has a real sense of peace, like an oasis in an otherwise crazy city. The staff are really helpful, they were on hand at any point to give you advice, arrange trips, book restaurants or whatever. We woke up every morning to a pot of coffee outside our door, followed by a lovely breakfast up on the roof looking over Marrakesh and the tagine we had in the evening was amongst the best we had tried. It is also in a brilliant location, you are in the souks or on the Djemma al Fna within five minutes. Would recommend a stay in Maison MK without a shadow of a doubt.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

After working out where to go for a week away we stumbled accross MK Maison in Marrakech. From the start where Paul the owner contacted us and gave suggestions on our trip we felt completely at home with the team at MK.
The actual experience in MK was superb, the team know service there and are always willingly to help out with out being over the top.
We had an issue when we checked out of the hotel not related to MK and we called on Jallel who was true to his word and helped us out, with no up side for himself.
The location is superb, the surronds ideal and best of all they have a great team of staff who will make your stay perfect.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Surrey, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

Three friends and I recently stayed at maison mk and had a fantastic time. I had read a review of maison mk in the Sunday Times travel magazine and then looked at the website and contacted Paul, the owner, who was extremely helpful in answering my many questions and emails. It was priced above our initial budget but we were pleased that we spent the extra to stay here as it is very stylish and is finished to a high standard, with attention to detail. As four females we were a bit apprehensive about staying in a riad within the medina, but we were so pleased that we did opt for a luxury riad rather than a hotel as it was more authentic, the service was more personal plus we were lucky enough to have the whole riad to ourselves and took full advantage of the stunning roof terrace for sunbathing, relaxing and enjoying drinks. We also enjoyed spa treatments including hammam, gommage and massage. The relaxation massage was one of the best I have ever had and I would highly recommend it. Maison mk is ideally situated for exploring the medina and the main square, and has amazing views at night of the Koutoubia mosque. It is also only a short walk to take a taxi to restaurants in the new town, and there are also several good restaurants within a short walk. Le Tobsil was our favourite, and a member of maison mk staff escorted us to the entrance of the alley where we were met by a member of Le Tobsil's staff. We felt safe in Marrakech and found people very helpful when we asked for directions. I would highly recommend maison mk to those looking for luxury accommodation and good service within the medina.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Maison MK? Share your experiences!