“Heaven at the end of the alley” 5 of 5 stars

Maison MK
14 Derb Lafkih Sbaai | Quartier Ksour, Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #10 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Heaven at the end of the alley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

There's everything to love about Maison MK. From the warm, friendly welcome to divine food, to the awesome service and the beautiful, quirky rooms where no detail has been spared. I felt totally indulged every moment I was there...and it was so peaceful. Who would think, sitting on the roof terrace with the throngs of the Souk only metres away that the only noise was tweeting birds. I wanted to stay forever. I loved the room, the crisp white sheets, the ipod with fab music, the snuggly robe with its orange tassle on the pointy hood...the Toni&Guy hair dryer; (how funny is that, as I used to be their head of PR;) the twinkly lights round the bath and the reflection of the main light in the room - casting beautiful shadows across the ceiling. Let's not forget the city either. The people were incredibly warm and friendly, the Souk has a myriad of things to buy and of course you get ripped off -but that is part of the game. Take a trip to the Atlas Mountains, visit an Argan Oil co-operative and have lunch cooked by a Berber family - with entrancing children greeting you wherever you go. Then relax in the beautiful gardens once owned by Yves St Laurent - the place that inspired his love of blue...and also relax in the spa at Maison MK. After a Hamman and a massage I was literally floating. Every moment of my stay was special and very memorable.

Room Tip: Every room I saw was a joy!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We stayed at MK Maison in September 2013. Having booked a table for a meal there and seeing how beautiful the hotel is- we couldn't resist. The little details, such as the music/ ipod docking station in the rooms and mobile phone free for guests to use to get in touch with the hotel when out and about add to the already gorgeous decor. Staff at MK are so hospitable and welcoming too - somewhere I'd love to stay at again and would highly reccomend. I'm not sure how a honeymoon anywhere else in the world could top this!

Room Tip: Book in advance - for both the restaurant and room!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I have never felt the need to write a review before despite travelling extensively around the world for both business and pleasure. To be honest I can largely take them or leave them - I prefer to experience for myself - but... this incredible Riad made me make the effort to write, do with it what you will....

I have been lucky enough to stay in some fabulous places and Maison MK is most certainly up there. It really is a proverbial oasis in the desert. The place is incredible, all aspects of it. The location is, as you'd expect, ideal. Just enough out of reach of the main souks so as to feel a bit of a reprieve, but close enough to be in very heart of it after only a few minutes stroll.

The Riad itself: Rarely on walking in to any hotel have my first impressions been so satisfied, literally as you walk in the front door, the aura of opulence and style is encompassing and further amplified by a quick tour around the Riad. There are only 6 bedrooms, each of which is unique but they share a common theme: every nuance is catered for. I believe there is nothing bigger than the small things and everything is perfectly catered for - all the luxuries: slippers, robes, towels (all tastefully monogrammed, of course), egyptian cotton, beautiful bathrooms, ipod docking station - all the details you (might) expect in a luxury 5 star hotel, not necessarily a Riad in Morocco. There is even a mobile phone in the room with pre-loaded numbers for the Riad 'staff' (should you get lost around the souks and need to hear a friendly, guiding, voice on the other end - I say 'staff' because it is a far more intimate friendly experience in this Riad). That level of detail and attention just about sums up the Maison MK experience... It is a perfect amalgamation of 5 star opulence and boutique intimacy. A place to relax in quiet solitude, shielded away from the hustle and bustle of Morocco whilst at the same time being very much in the heart of it.

That is the Riad, incomparable in my opinion (and I have been to Morocco a number of times). And I've yet to mention the spa, the restaurant, the bar, the sundeck, the views, the staff....

The spa.. wow (and I use that word sparingly in any context). It was sublime; steam room, hammam, the treatments, the attention to detail. Perfection, especially considering the rooms have been tastefully fitted into a Riad that is hundreds of years old.

The restaurant: in itself, worthy of being number one in anyone's guide. The food was to die for (and I am incredibly fussy about quality and standard). It was a 5 course set menu (which may be a downside for some people), but it changes regularly and the quality, taste, presentation and standard of cuisine was of the absolute highest order. The fact the head chef came out after our meal to ask our opinion (as he did all the diners) was a very nice touch and not at all either suffocating or tourist-tacky, nor was the head waiter who skillfully walked that tightrope of doing enough but not too much in terms of filling glasses, asking about drinks etc. This is all enjoyed within a very intimate surrounding, with only 5 or 6 tables (book early to avoid disappointment) - two around the central courtyard in booths (quiet but I would personally recommend) or in the dining room, 3/4 tables.

The bar: atop the riad, with spectacular views across Marrakesh. A beautifully styled contemporary - yet comfortable - area to lounge of an evening with a drink whilst watching the sun take a break for another day. Even the nibbles and snacks were beyond what you'd get in a 5 star hotel, never mind the delicious pre-dinner canapes. Breakfast is also served here. Again, fantastic range of food to set up another day of exploring (looking at belts, wallets, clothes, furniture, teapots, etc); or literally immersing yourself in the Riad and spend a day in the sun in the covered sun-beds (I mean 'bed', as in double bed, not a lounger), open beds and loungers.

And the staff: I mentioned them briefly but money can't buy friendliness and helpfulness. That is something that is either inherent or encouraged (or both). I believe it emanates from the owners, Paul and Aoibheann (hope I spelt that corréctly) who must be the friendliest owners of any establishment I have ever come across. Incredibly helpful, accommodating, pleasant, knowledgeable... their personalities have obviously permeated through the 'staff' because they exhibit all the same traits, naturally, all the way to the cleaning lady who - unprompted - gave us an unofficial tour of the Riad one morning.

I think that's just about it. Make no mistake this place is both luxurious and opulent and the price reflects that. If you can afford it, then do it. If you can't afford it, then save up and still do it (well, maybe if only for a night, for a special occasion - it won't be forgotten). But make sure it's your last night and not your first because it will be difficult to go from this to an inevitable downgrade elsewhere.

Sorry to gush, I really do think this is a special place and worthy of a special occasion. I have no hesitancy at all recommending this place and would stay there again in a heatbeat. Thanks to all, it really was memorable...

Room Tip: Once you find the front door (not difficult), finding a good room won't be an issue - they'r...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I enthusiastically recommend Maison MK to visitors because of its great location, ambience, facilities, service, and staff. Riad Maison MK is centrally located within the walls of the old Median with great proximity to the amazing souks (shops), the famous Djemma el-Fna square and all major cultural attractions. The architecture and décor of the Riad exudes sophisticated elegance with Moroccan theme, displaying great attention to detail including Moroccan lanterns, tassels, painted furniture, room fragrance, bath oils, and artisanal pieces. Though small and cozy, the Riad is fairly self-sufficient with its own gourmet restaurant, casual restaurant, roof top dining, massage room, Hammam, plunge pool, and cooking school - something I found to be very convenient to maximize my time in Marrakech and minimize unnecessary trips. Room accommodations are very clean, comfortable, quiet and with all the amenities of a luxury hotel, but with an elegant Moroccan theme throughout. And most of all, the staff is exceptionally polite, proactive and helpful. In particular, the manager Hanane (who speaks fluent English, French and Arabic) cheerfully assists her guests whatever their needs might be: planning day trips, restaurant advise, changing money, arranging airport transfers, shopping, etc.
Chef Omar and his assistant Mona are on top of their game and their kitchen produces delicious meals, both of the traditional Moroccan and inventive fusion varieties. I also enjoyed the treatments at the excellent spa whose extensive menu includes a wide variety of reasonably priced massage and Hammam treatments. While I was visiting, I had the pleasure of meeting the owner Mrs. Aoiheann who actively sought input from her guests on ways to continuously improve Maison MK so it will continue to meet and exceed client expectations. In sum, if you need a place to stay that combines the best of both worlds (Moroccan ambience and Western comfort), then Maison MK is the clear choice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We heard of Maison MK through friends of friends that had stayed a few times before. It was to be our first visit to Morocco, and in my opinion this is always the best way to find a boutique hotel. We are quite cynical about write-ups in the papers and guide books – they never seem to cover everything and I do believe ( the cynic!) that its biased or 'paid for' advertising. This is why we did look at tripadvisor for real reviews, but have never been motivated to write one ourselves before. Now I must write this review for other cynics out there like us because the rave reviews are spot on.
Here are the main things you need to know, in my view.
1. Location. Its more important than you realise when booking to stay in Marrakesh, and Maison MK is ideally located in a quiet clean area on the edge of the medina so you don’t get lost deep inside it. . It was easy to get to everything we wanted and back again (restaurants, shops, souks, and the main square). We walked forever in the medina while we were there and its very easy to get lost. Everywhere else was full of motorbikes and jammed with people and felt darker and noisier and dirtier so it was always nice to come back to Maison MK where even on the roof top it was calm and quiet.
2. Luxury. Its worth the price. We felt luxury from the moment we entered Maison MK, from the tasteful yet funky design, the big luxurious beds, crisp sheets and soft towels and robes, the deepest bath and powerful shower with gorgeous fragrant toiletries, the special lights to read, the personal ipod and mobile phone to use, the coffee at your door when you wake-up, and the fresh cake every afternoon when you come back. The restaurant and the spa are very very professional and reasonable, as well as luxurious.
3. Service. For us, this is the hidden luxury worth paying for. The staff here are amazing, gentle, well trained and turned out, and always wanting to help and it felt like they knew what we would want, before we asked! Everywhere was extremely clean and Hanane the manager, was always there with lots of personal advice. You get a map and some shopping notes, and they have a little competition to buy the cheapest tassle in town to get you started in the haggling if you like.
4. Feedback, they genuinely seemed interested in feedback and the owners even called to check out a few things after our stay. In my view, a sign, or rather a confirmation, that this place seriously wants to keep developing and be the best. In my view, it certainly is. We couldn’t find anything to fault and as well as Tripadvisor, we have already recommended it personally to lots of people already.

Room Tip: all the rooms we saw looked to be of the same high standard & the website pictures were accurate
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

lovely staff greet you at this brilliantly revamped riad -lots of cosy corners make you feel welcome and the rooms are well set out and very comfortable. my husband and I really enjoyed our massage and hammam in the spa -felt really clean after an expert scrub and moisturising treatments. It is easy to get to the riad and also easy to nip out to the big square as the location is straightforward but they can provide guides if you feel unsure.
The food is wonderful. We enjoyed the 5 course menu and were impressed with the quality of the cooking and the perfectly timed service. We sat by the pool which was relaxing and had plenty of space which is sometimes a rarity in restaurants. The really romantic can book a private dining room where I imagine many proposals are made.The evening started with canapes on the terrace where you make your menu choices. I had fish which had the most delicious sauce. Cannot recommend highly enough!
Despite eating very well the night before we still enjoyed a good breakfast on the terrace(I recommend loose clothing to allow for expansion!)
This is a beautiful riad and I have no qualms in recommending anyone to go and enjoy it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Did not stay there, but loved the place
all the details and the way they decoreted the place
amazing
staff are very welcoming and the service is very good
they have one of the best restaurant in the medina.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Maison MK? Share your experiences!