“THANK-YOU MAISON MK” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“THANK-YOU MAISON MK”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My thanks has to be noted for this wonderful five star hotel in Marrakech.
I have to admit I didn’t find it on my own, it was so highly recommended to me by colleagues and friends that I just booked it.
That was also a straight forward process with the owners in England, and from then on, and without any stress or effort even, I just seemed to find myself taken care of.
My trip was part business and part rest. Maison MK gave me just the peace and quiet I needed at the end of a working day. It had the delicate, unobtrusive high quality kind of service that I like. Everything I needed from wifi everywhere, food and drinks anywhere, anytime, and a comfortable feeling as if you were at home. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept on, and the bathrooms simply indulgent with a deep bath and wonderful pressure of hot water for the morning shower. The atmosphere feels professional, secure, chic and relaxed all rolled into one. I imagine you could go about in your dressing gown all day if you liked and no-one would notice. Nothing was too much trouble, in fact they seemed to have thought of all my requests in advance and the trip ran extremely smoothly.

Access was also particularly easy , quick and easy pickup at the airport in a nice large car with and English speaking driver, 10mins transfer at most to the hotel. MK is very close to the city gate ( the gate into the old walled city , the medina) so getting a taxi each day was quick and easy. Cashpoint was nearby, and a handy artisan shopping centre where I managed to do some holiday shopping without the hassle of having to haggle. A quick nip into the square was in order and even that was easy to do in the evening between a nice cocktail at the roof bar and dinner later.

I don’t do reviews normally but it has been on my mind to do this to say thank-you to Maison MK, I travel extensively for my work and never have I felt so easily comfortable and well looked after.

I didn’t get a chance to use all the very long list of spa treatments, or foodie delights that seemed to be on menus everywhere– after all I was meant to be working. I do hope to return one day on a full time leisure trip if I get the chance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

528 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights at the beginning of July. From start to finish it was absolutely perfect. We were picked up at at the airport and met at the other end. Entering Maison MK is like entering an oasis in comparasion to the hot and dusty Marrakech streets. The riad is in the perfect location to go out and explore, you can be in the square or the souks in minutes, finding new little short cuts every time. Its also close enough to a main road for taxis. It is such a nice feeling when the door of MK Maison is opened for you after hours of exploring the streets and getting lost, to walk back in and instantly feel the riad's calmness and tranquility. It is perfect to cool down and chill out. There are various seating areas with interesting books and games. I even watched the wimbeldon final in the cinema room!The breakfasts were delicious and the room was amazing, so cool and calming. It even smelt lovely! Our room had a shower instead of a bath, I am so glad we had a shower. We spent time on the sun terrace, although it was so hot when we were there. There is a lovely plunge pool at the bottom of the riad, my only wish was that there could somehow be a pool on the top. There was a shower though if you wanted to cool off without going up and down the stairs. We both had spa treatments, which were great, particularly then hamman which was a very different but enjoyable experience! The restuarant was also amazing, we ate there on our firsat night and were lucky enough to sit in the private area so could really lay out on the sofas.

No request was too much trouble for the team and they were great at making recommendations, giving directions and assisting with anything they could. I would definately highly recommend and would love to return in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

After booking the restaurant I decided to go all out and book a room for the night, so so glad I did. From the very first email enquiry Hanane was absolutely brilliant. Emails were replied to almost immediately with clear, detailed information. Complimentary taxi was sent to collect us from the hotel we were staying at and we were met at the the taxi drop off by a member of the team which was totally unexpected but much appreciated. On arrival we were given a glass of delicious orange juice & Hanane seemed genuinely interested in details about us and our trip. After our drink we were given a tour of this stunning riad before being shown to our breathtaking room. Attention to detail is evident throughout the whole place and you can see Hananes eyes darting about constantly ensuring that everything is perfect (which it is). Waiting staff are amazing and I'm sorry I don't remember their names but each and every one of them were brilliant. Lovely breakfast on the terrace in the morning and fabulous freshly baked cake and mint tea in the afternoon. Late checkout wasn't a problem, in fact nothing was a problem and I think the owners have struck gold with their choice of management & staff, absolutely faultless. Exceptional location, exceptional decor, exceptional staff, exceptional food and exeptional service. Many thanks for some wonderful memories.

Room Tip: We were in room 4 which was absolutely beautiful, spotlessly clean and smelt gorgeous as did the who...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We had booked a cooking class and a spa east & west package..
The cooking class was amazing the chef was lovely, we cooked Moroccan tagine, salads and cous cous and fresh bread which we took to a communal oven in the souk.. We then enjoyed our meal on the roof. After a relaxing lunch we went for the spa treatments and both were again amazing.
What makes this place good is the staff, all of them where at hand when we needed anything throughout the day..

2 days later unfortunately my cousin was mugged in the main square and her phone and some money was taken, the hotel we stayed at did not really help us when we asked for advice on what to do or how to report this.. I went ahead and emailed Hanane at Maison MK she almost immediately called me and said to come to Maison MK and she had arranged for a member of staff to accompany us to the police station to make
a report. This was service which I personally have never received and I will always be grateful to Hanane and Maison MK for the kindness and helpfulness we received from them.. We ended up spending a 2nd day at Maison MK having another amazing lunch and another spa treat.
I would highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Marrakech weather it's for a day or for a weekend.
I would like to thank everyone at Maison MK for your kindness, helpfulness and most of for welcoming us.

Sonal and Sonia - London

• Stayed September 2013
paul_at_maisonMK, Owner at Maison MK, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thanks Sonal for such a lovely review. Thankfully, street crime in Marrakech is very rare, but when it happens it can be a real shock & visitors will always need help to be provided. Despite your own hotel being unable / unwilling to help, it made me so happy to see the maison mk staff jump in to help you. It is what we would have done ourselves, as owners, but its always so lovely to see Hanane & the team (especially the ever-helpful Simo) come to the rescue in the same manner.
I am glad that we were able to help a little to remedy your troubles & hope that the positive actions help a little to scrub out any negative thoughts do to the petty criminal that thought it was a good idea to take your cousin's phone & money.
Simo & Hanane - Thankyou, 10 out of 10 & a gold star ;-)

Paul (owner)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Maison MK, in their master suite, as part of our honeymoon trip in August 2013. The whole experience was flawless.

Shortly after booking we had a clear email exchange to confirm all the details and check any special requests we may have. The just prior to arrival we had a phone call from the owner to reconfirm all details and make arrangements on timings of transfers and massage appointments we had made.

Arrival started with a perfectly timed (given we landed 30mins early) and free taxi service from the airport straight to the medina where we were welcomed by staff from Maison MK and guided the remaining few hundred meters walk.

After a welcome from the manager and some delicious freshly squeezed orange juice (a moroccan specialty) we were shown to our room. The room was spotlessly clean and a veritable feast for the eyes, the design and colours were amazing. As added touches a lovely scented candle was burning, rose petals were scattered, some welcome nibbles on the table and a honeymoon gift of champagne on ice. Oh and the very effective aircon had nicely cooled the room down providing a perfect escape from the 42oC air outside (Marrakech in August is hot)!

All in all a perfect start to what turned out to be an excellent stay, with the standards maintained throughout.

A real credit to Maison MK is the team there. Everyone was welcoming, friendly and helpful. We don't think we saw anyone of them stop smiling the entire time we were there. It seemed really natural and we were treated like individuals rather than guests. We had everything from shopping tips, restaurant recommendations and navigation guidance to cookery lessons (inc a guided trip to the markets to buy all the ingredients) and chats about life living and working in Marrakech.

Other points to note were the excellent food, massages and roof terrace.
a. Breakfast was always tasty with yummy home made yogurt and fruit salad with a variety of breads/pastries depending on the day. We also had lunch there on several occasions (including a tagine made by my own fair hands alongside the very patient chef as part of the cookery course). We never ate evening meals there though as it just seemed like cheating with so much to explore in the Medina. I understand the restaurant is highly rated though, and based on the lunches its understandable why.
b. The massages were also very good, its rare to find someone with such strength outside of a sports massage clinic and my tired runners body truly appreciated it.
c. The roof terrace was a peaceful place to relax in the sun or shade to escape the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. A shower is conveniently located to help you cool off (if you're too lazy to walk downstairs to the plunge pool). Oh and each afternoon a fresh cake is served there... delcious!

In choosing Maison MK we deliberated over tripadvisor for sometime. Having now stayed there its clear the positive feedback is truly justified. Maison MK is a truly exceptional place to stay. The negative feedback just seems so ridiculously out of place given our experiences that we find it hard to believe its true.

The only points I would caution anyone on are general points on Marrakech, we can't fault Maison MK at all.
1. It is a Riad not a hotel. Riads are small places with rooms inward facing into a internal court yard. This means sound can travel and affects all similar properties. We noticed no issues though and guess its more dependent on who else is staying. Ear plugs next to the minibar are a nice gesture to those who may struggle with his. Another fairly common riad feature is the bathroom which is separated visually by a solid but not full height wall and curtain. It is not noise proof, however there is a toilet downstairs for anyone who may feel the need to spare their partner the sound of the "trots" should one succumb. As mentioned these are features of riads in general, if these put you off we would suggest a hotel, but you'll be missing out on a great establishment and location.
2. Marrakech is a very different city to most european or american ones. For the adventurous person this is its charm. Exploring the little streets, souks and markets and getting lost are hallmarks of a great trip. Do expect some hassle from traders in the souks, however if you're clear and polite most of them are actually really friendly people will wish you a nice day as you walk on. Do expect some less pleasurable smells and sights in some places in the medina, after all its not a wealthy city.

So in summary a really excellent stay. If you like the idea of a riad, exploring a truly different city and choose Maison MK you will have a most amazing trip.

• Stayed August 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We chose to stay here in November 2012 after a personal recommendation. It was absolutely beautiful, and even more lovely than the pictures on the web-site.
The décor and the location were the most important things to get right for us, and Maison mk scored top points for both. The design was unexpectedly very Moroccan, but furnished in a modern and extremely luxuriant fashion. The lighting was superb, especially in the bathroom where my wife did appreciate the Hollywood lights and extra make-up mirror. The location was very peaceful, which is surprising given its close proximity to the main square and to the main road by the medina gate.
We couldn’t cover everything we wanted to do here in our 3 days (the cooking course for example), and there were lots of extras that we didn’t use, but appreciated them all the same. It was nice to feel spoiled. This maison achieved top marks from us also because it appealed to us whilst at the same time we know it would appeal to our children and grandchildren. I would say we are rather conservative. Comfort, peace and quiet, attentive service and top quality services are our requirements, but having all the facilities of a hotel, along with fun and friendly staff in less formal town-house would appeal to our children. “Maison mk” is very relaxing and inviting as well as being absolutely beautiful so we would love to return perhaps for a family celebration.
Finally I must mention, for those that may not be aware, that you cannot get better food anywhere in Marrakech. The restaurant special evening meal is outstanding. The lunches, the breakfasts, and the snacks covered all our requirements superbly, from the best of traditional food to fine dining. The spa was also wonderfully tranquil, the menu extensive and the prices pretty good. We learned a lot about Moroccan life chatting with the staff but Marrakech outside the door is fascinating of course, although a little daunting. Partner this with the safe and beautiful haven of Maison mk makes it an unbeatable experience which we hope to get the chance to continue one day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

If you want the perfect location, perfect service, perfect food and perfect night’s sleep then Maison MK is, well..... perfect!

My wife and I spent 4 nights here and were overwhelmed by the fact that for all the reviews you read make for a great experience, Maison Mk still exceeded them! Hanane and the team were exceptional and were at hand for anything you needed with some great recommendations. The rooms were exquisitely designed and very comfortable and the bathroom we had in room 2 was huge!! I won’t go on about the rooms too much as ours was great and the other rooms looked great too!

The Riad itself was beautifully recreated and very well laid out with a great little plunge pool on the ground floor for those moments when you need to cool down. The roof terrace was amazing, again great layout with amazingly comfortable oversized sun loungers along with a perfectly placed shaded lounge area when you need to step out the sun for 10 minutes. The team at Maison MK are very discreet and stayed out of the way but whenever you thought “Ah, I could do with a drink right about now!” a member of the team would mystically appear to get them for you... I loved that!!! At sunset , the roof terrace comes into its own with a 3rd tier which places you slightly higher than all the other buildings around you, you are presented with an unparallel scene across the City and can watch the sun set and at the same time see and smell the Medina come to life as they start the cooking in the square and the smoke rising into the sky.... all viable from the roof of your own little piece of paradise! Oh, the ‘House’ music was brilliant and spookily similar to my own playlist!

We had dinner from the Gastro MK menu on two of the nights and..... amazing!!! The fusion was perfect and I was caught eating food my wife would swear blind i had told her i didn’t like!!! All 5 courses were delicious and the second night we ate, the chef concocted a fresh menu for us so we didn’t have the same things again.... still amazing!

Treatments.... I would recommend the treatments at Maison MK even if you don’t stay here, book in for a treatment, they are great!

In Summary, Paul and the Team have done an amazing job here with this little gem and we will be coming back year after year as it is..... you guessed it.... Perfect!

Room Tip: Room 1 is the obviously choice but after that we preferred Room 2 (which is the room we stayed in) a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Maison MK? Share your experiences!