We stayed in Maison MK, in their master suite, as part of our honeymoon trip in August 2013. The whole experience was flawless.
Shortly after booking we had a clear email exchange to confirm all the details and check any special requests we may have. The just prior to arrival we had a phone call from the owner to reconfirm all details and make arrangements on timings of transfers and massage appointments we had made.
Arrival started with a perfectly timed (given we landed 30mins early) and free taxi service from the airport straight to the medina where we were welcomed by staff from Maison MK and guided the remaining few hundred meters walk.
After a welcome from the manager and some delicious freshly squeezed orange juice (a moroccan specialty) we were shown to our room. The room was spotlessly clean and a veritable feast for the eyes, the design and colours were amazing. As added touches a lovely scented candle was burning, rose petals were scattered, some welcome nibbles on the table and a honeymoon gift of champagne on ice. Oh and the very effective aircon had nicely cooled the room down providing a perfect escape from the 42oC air outside (Marrakech in August is hot)!
All in all a perfect start to what turned out to be an excellent stay, with the standards maintained throughout.
A real credit to Maison MK is the team there. Everyone was welcoming, friendly and helpful. We don't think we saw anyone of them stop smiling the entire time we were there. It seemed really natural and we were treated like individuals rather than guests. We had everything from shopping tips, restaurant recommendations and navigation guidance to cookery lessons (inc a guided trip to the markets to buy all the ingredients) and chats about life living and working in Marrakech.
Other points to note were the excellent food, massages and roof terrace.
a. Breakfast was always tasty with yummy home made yogurt and fruit salad with a variety of breads/pastries depending on the day. We also had lunch there on several occasions (including a tagine made by my own fair hands alongside the very patient chef as part of the cookery course). We never ate evening meals there though as it just seemed like cheating with so much to explore in the Medina. I understand the restaurant is highly rated though, and based on the lunches its understandable why.
b. The massages were also very good, its rare to find someone with such strength outside of a sports massage clinic and my tired runners body truly appreciated it.
c. The roof terrace was a peaceful place to relax in the sun or shade to escape the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. A shower is conveniently located to help you cool off (if you're too lazy to walk downstairs to the plunge pool). Oh and each afternoon a fresh cake is served there... delcious!
In choosing Maison MK we deliberated over tripadvisor for sometime. Having now stayed there its clear the positive feedback is truly justified. Maison MK is a truly exceptional place to stay. The negative feedback just seems so ridiculously out of place given our experiences that we find it hard to believe its true.
The only points I would caution anyone on are general points on Marrakech, we can't fault Maison MK at all.
1. It is a Riad not a hotel. Riads are small places with rooms inward facing into a internal court yard. This means sound can travel and affects all similar properties. We noticed no issues though and guess its more dependent on who else is staying. Ear plugs next to the minibar are a nice gesture to those who may struggle with his. Another fairly common riad feature is the bathroom which is separated visually by a solid but not full height wall and curtain. It is not noise proof, however there is a toilet downstairs for anyone who may feel the need to spare their partner the sound of the "trots" should one succumb. As mentioned these are features of riads in general, if these put you off we would suggest a hotel, but you'll be missing out on a great establishment and location.
2. Marrakech is a very different city to most european or american ones. For the adventurous person this is its charm. Exploring the little streets, souks and markets and getting lost are hallmarks of a great trip. Do expect some hassle from traders in the souks, however if you're clear and polite most of them are actually really friendly people will wish you a nice day as you walk on. Do expect some less pleasurable smells and sights in some places in the medina, after all its not a wealthy city.
So in summary a really excellent stay. If you like the idea of a riad, exploring a truly different city and choose Maison MK you will have a most amazing trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Maison MK is a cool, romantic, sophisticated house right in the middle of the Marrakech medina. Everything in the riad is curved and organic. Our six beautiful rooms are creative, rich, romantic, decadent and totally indulgent! Brand new in Jan 2008, we have wow-factor suites, spa loveliness, stunning lighting, and cutting edge design. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Maison MK reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maison Mk Marrakech
- Maison Mk Hotel Marrakech