“Back again for our anniversary!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maison MK

and 1 more site!
You added Maison MK to your Saves list
Maison MK
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14 Derb Lafkih Sbaai | Quartier Ksour, Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #8 of 481 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Back again for our anniversary!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

After having a fantastic time at Maison MK in September 2010 on our honeymoon, we decided to stay again at the end August/start of September. It was great to be back, felt like going home but being on holiday! We were very lucky as they opened a couple of days early so we could fit in a longer break this time. It really is luxurious but not at all snobby like other places we have been. Everything was up to the usual high standard, from the room to the service, and the environment is relaxing. The staff are lovely and knowledgeable. We ate in Gastro MK again and really enjoyed it, I especially liked the banana bavarois! The afternoon tea we had was also amazing, wow, the macaroons were delicious! Then there is the daily cake served in the afternoon with mint tea......mmmmm! We really hope to be able to get back as soon as possible.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I was fortunate enough to visit Maison MK for 2 nights in September 2011 on a research trip to Marrakesh. It can be pretty overwhelming choosing a Riad in the Medina - not only are there hundreds of them, but they all claim to be 'luxury'!! However, the Maison MK team have got it all spot on. Firstly, something that all the best service and beautiful rooms can have little impact on - location. Everything else can be great, but if you're miles from everywhere, it's a bit pointless - and this Riad is in a great location, just a few mins walk from the square, Souks etc - and yet very easy to reach by taxi (access can be a problem for Riads a long way from the entrance to the Medina - so basically Maison MK gives you the best of both worlds). Paul and Aoibheann Hopkins have got the most amazing 'vision' - they have created the most beautiful Riad from a ruin and they've really thought of everything - you get to expereince the Medina in luxury - but not in a way that compriomises the whole expereince of actually being in Marrakesh. In addition, although it's stylish and the service is prefect. it's done in a friendly, relaxed yet attentive way, which doesn't make you feel awkward or overly 'waited on', yet you still want for nothing - and that's a very difficult balance to achieve. I read somewhere that it's style without attitude, and I think this sums it up well. The staff are all super-friendly, polite and can't do enough for you - they really add to your trip and are more than happy to share knowledge and tips with you - you feel they're genuinely wanting you to enjoy being in their town. The Hammam here is a must - great value and a brilliant mix of an authentic experience but with European standards. The roof terrace deserves a special mention - it's beautifully laid out and you're slightly higher than most roof terraces, so it's brilliant for being a nosy neighbour! I was fortunate enough for one of the staff members to point out a huge group of Storks (the official name for a group of Storks is a Muster - I was so impressed I had to Google it! Who knew?!) soaring and swirling around the Katoubia Minaret, really early in the morning - magical. Finally - Gastro MK. Even if - for some foolish reason! - you end up not staying here, you absolutely must book to come to dinner one night for the 'Gastro MK' experience - a restaurant quality taster menu in an intimate private dining setting - open to both residents and non residents - but I'd advise booking early as I think word's starting to spread! I've been very lucky recently in that I've been to some great restaurants in London for work reasons, and this menu was genuinely up there with the best of them, if not better - and is fantastic value for money. Finally, I'd like to point out that, although I was staying at the Riad for work reasons, this is very much a personal review and in no way connected to my job - I really was genuinely impressed and rarely use trip advisor, let alone place a review, as I think reviews are open to abuse from non-genuine reviewers. However, on this occasion, I just wanted to put my personal view out there. Many thanks Maison MK team - I'd love to return and hope things keep going from strength to strength for you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We would highly recommend a stay at Maison Mk. We booked directly through the Riads website, where you arrange your courtesy pick up from the airport. We wanted some individuality from our stay in Marrakech and certainly got it here. The Riad ensures you ' chill out ' the moment you arrive with fantastic lighting throughout. The rooms are beautiful, we Ipod docks, fantastic bed linen and even better bathrooms. Service at the Riad is great, and cocktails are great on the roof terrace. The food here at Maison Mk is amazing, I guess thats why its Marrakech's No 1 restaurant. Although very disappointed with Marrakech itself . Maison Mk made the break. We took a daytrip into the Atlas mountains and would recommend this to anybody, PLEASE TAKE PENCILS, SWEETS with you as you will meet some local children, that literally have nothing and a small gift is greatly appreciated. Also we took the cooking course at the Riad which was great fun plus you eat what you prepare for lunch.

Room Tip: Go directly to the website
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Maison MK, what can I say wow; we went 2days after they had opened and only had a couple staying at the hotel. My partner and I were staying out side of Marrakesh due to the heat in august/early September time 40 oc +. The welcome we received was brilliant the views from the roof top terrace were/are amazing as it is one of the highest riads in the area; it is like an oasis in the middle of Ramadan chaos. As we were the only guests to be eating at the restaurant we had the 7 course taster menu, of which one course we cooked our own scallops with the chef who trained at Gordon Ramsays restaurant, it was an amazing experience and the chef and his partner were amazing hosts, thank you, it is an experience we will never forget and we hope to be back soon.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Superb all round. Staff are friendly and really try to meet your needs. We loved our room- luxury and the IPod was a great touch, as were the jelly beans left on the bed. The bed was so comfy and the air con was really welcome. The spa was very nice and you get a little bag of goodies with a scrub- mitt afterwards.

PS the cinema room was so comfy... we just locked the door and fell asleep on the chaise longues to the film we chose.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Wanting to surprise the wife for our 10th wedding anniversary I decided on a trip to Marrakech, having gone through all of the options of hotels and Riads on trip advisor I found myself keeping going back to Maison MK. After speaking to Paul the owner in the UK which certainly helps, it was a done deal.
I arranged with Paul and the team prior to our stay various surprises all of which were carried out to perfection. On arrival we were greeted by Kemal and the team and shown around the Riad, well totally blown away by the attention to detail considering what the place looked like before the renovation, sat on the roof terrace following the tour enjoying the fresh orange and the brownie points from my surprised wife.having booked the master suite all i can is the photos on the web don't do the room justice.....superb. The location of the Riad is great 4 mins walk from the main Sq and 5 mins in a cab from some great restaurants in the new town. The spa MK treatments are pure bliss and should not be missed, total relaxation by Hassna and Fatiha.....more brownie points.
We ate at MK twice during our stay and the food is fantastic the tasting menu was pure bliss on the first night, and following our cooking course with Omar on our anniversary day the menu he put together for us that evening was an absolute culinary wonder.
I could go on forever about this place the whole feel is just right, Kemal and the team, the food and the spa all fantastic you get what you pay for thanks to all.

• Stayed July 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

My partner & I stayed here as part of a 3 week holiday around Europe & Maison MK certainly proved to be the best part of the trip. It was very hot in Morocco but this place is so cool & the staff are so chilled out and relaxed (but underneath the relaxation I could tell that there is a very professional organisation). Everything is thought of, before you even ask it.
The spa was superb, the food creative & stunning (it is the number 1 restaurant in Marrakech & deserves it), the hotel was beautiful, but the best part is the staff - without good staff, all the rest is pointless.
We had a great stay & i cannot wait to return to Maison MK some day, hopefully soon.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple