“Nice for some, not for us.” 2 of 5 stars

Riad Attarine
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   104 Bouajjara | Bab Jdid, Fes 30000, Morocco   |
Ranked #31 of 92 Hotels in Fes
Pune, India
“Nice for some, not for us.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

Riad Attarine at 100euro for 1 nights stay was supposed to be the "treat" of our Moroccon holiday. After staying at far cheaper (and very good) accomodation in the country, reading the reviews from trip advisor my expectations were high.
These expectations were at first met. The Riad has a great courtyard with nice traditional features like the fountain and stucco archways. Our room off the courtyard was similarly impressive with a 6M ceiling, nice looking bathroom, huge shower, soft towels etc etc. The welcome was warm and friendly and our taxi pick up was efficient.
Things afterwards however went downhill.
NOISE and LIGHT - I know we are in a traditional Riad but the location of our room just off the courtyard with a traditional (badly fitting) wooden door meant that every sound could be heard in our room. Dinner is served in the courtyard and anyone wanting an early night (before twelve) has no chance. People are literally dining 3M from your bedroom. There are no curtains so the room is also light when the cortyard is lit.
HOT WATER - We arrived tired and hot with the expectation of a hot shower. This was not the case. We complained and only 1 day later was the issue partially fixed (a drizzle)
SMELL - Our bathroom did have a waft of drain about it. Again this is a traditional old house. But at 100e per night is this acceptable ???
From the other reviews I think we were unlucky that we had the downstairs and most noisy room with dodgy shower, plus we were just 2 and not a large group however I can only judge my own experiance.
INFORMATION - I had to guess and ask if the Riad had a terrace upstairs. The staff did show us up on the second night but should I have to ask for hotel amenities (the terrace is very nice)
Singularly these things are not much but together they equalled a poor performance.
If I visited Fes again I would opt for a purpose built and cheaper hotel in Ville Nouvelle and get a taxi to and from the medina. The medina shuts at sundown and taxis are <3euro so you miss nothing.
Riads are large homes and in my opinion do not make good hotels. My advice to Riad Atterine is to not rent the downstairs room unless its to part of a larger group.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Loulé
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

Our "little group" (five children, four adults) stayed at Riad Attarine for two nights. Despite the cool and wet weather we felt warm, dry and really well looked after. The owners of the Riad are very helpful, friendly and even could give us some insight into Morrocan culture as Salima has marrocan background. We had dinner with other guests sitting at one big table. The food was delicious and the conversation multilingual.
The Riad is beautifully designed and still looks brandnew. Located at the edge of the Medina, it is quiet but still near to the centre of the Medina.
In case we come back to Fés we would definitly come back to this place.

• Liked — Friendlyness of owners
  • Disliked — Liked everything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Lisbon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

Very nice place, clean, beautiful, very well located. Owners very hospitable and helpful. Great food. A really great place to stay in Fes.

Stayed December 2008
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

As a single American female traveling alone in Morocco, I could not have been happier with my accomodations. Riad Attarine is a beautiful example of Moroccan "real life" architecture, and it is within easy walking distance of the taxi plaza, banks, a few convenience shops, and the medina itself. The proprieters are extremely friendly and helpful, interacting with the guests throughout the day and recommending attractions and events. The meals, which are traditional Moroccan, were excellent, and our hostess described the ingredients, how it was prepared, etc. If enough notice is given, I'm sure reasonable dietary restrictions could be followed. The hosts speak fluent French and conversational English, and secured for me a fantastic guide for my trip through the medina. In my opinion, the best recommendation for a hotel is to want to stay there the next time you travel to the area. I am happy to say that I am going back to Fes with friends in June 2009, and we will definitely stay at Riad Attarine.

• Liked — Ambiance, food, hospitality
  • Disliked — there was no heat in my room in November (but it wasn't that bad)
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
Reggio Emilia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

I was in Riad Attarine to 11 September since 14 Sett with my husband . It was a very beautiful Riad.People nice and all pretty.Room big and beutiful with confortable toilette. Internet wi fi very good for me because I worked from the room. Marina (Italy)

• Liked — Riad! and the owners! very available!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kashiwa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

Fes was the main city for our Moroccan honeymoon, and Riad Attarine turned out to be the perfect choice. The riad is beautiful, clean, quiet, and airy. Hugues and Salima, the owners, are kind, welcoming, knowledgeable, and helpful. They made us feel comfortable and at home . The staff is great and the food is fresh, tasty, and plentiful.
They helped us arrange a cultural guide for Fes and the nearby Roman ruins of Volubilis. These were genuine guides who showed us mysterious and wonderful places that made our exploration of the cities more than we had hoped for.
I highly recommend this Riad for your stay in Fes.

• Liked — The owners and staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Saudi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

As a lone female traveller I was a bit apprehensive about visiting Morocco. My first stop was Riad Attarine. The owners were very friendly and the place was fabulous. From that point on I felt completely at ease in the country. A great start to a great holiday.

Stayed March 2008