“Worst experience in my life” 1 of 5 stars

Riad Al Pacha
7 Derb El Miter | Talâa El Kbira, Fes, Morocco   |
Ranked #83 of 92 Hotels in Fes
Dortmund, Germany
“Worst experience in my life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Frankly, I've never had such bad experience in my life, I travel a lot and stayed in good and low-budged hotel and hostel, but this three nights were nightmare for me.

- First night:They put me in a storage room and lied that was a single room, except of one bed, there were one paar of used shoes and two mattresses standing on the wall, there was no shared bathroom in this Riad, I couldn't even take a shower. They wanted to charge me 30EURO for it but I didn't accept, than they lower to price to 15EURO and promised me to remove me to a normal guest private room for the other two days.
- Second night: they hv change me to the normal private room, but they knocked at my door at 22:00 as they hv new guests and wanted to move me back to the storage room again, I closed my door and ignored them. I paid 35EURO each night but not for this service!
- Third night:They removed my staffs from my normal room and put them unlocked under the steps only because my bed is double bed and they gave it to a couple before I came back to this Riad
- My money in EURO has been stole on the third day, which I put in my purse and it was in a make-up bag on my bed. One of their staff has only stole part of them, with hoping I wouldn't noticed but I count my money right before I left my room on the third day (I had two 50EURO and one 10EURO, after I came back one 50EURO was missing ).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank yoyo_kwan

Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We managed to find this hidden hotel after a stranger pointed us in the right direction. The housekeeper attended to us (who couldnt speak any english) as there was nobody else to. She politely gave us a cup of mint tea and a little form to complete. We managed to book the room on the top floor which gave us great accessibility to the roof top with a magnificent view.
On the day we checked out, our breakfast was a bit late but we weren't too fussy about it. The owner however, screamed at his staff in front of us which we thought was not very professional. His staff were very kind and polite to us.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

Stayed in November. Was quite cold and heating did not work. Room was not cleaned too well. Owner is horrible person and bad for his staff. Staff is very friendly and accomodating. Central square of the riad is full of bird poo. It all looks quite nice, but could be so much better. Location is good though (once you find it).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Edmuntus

Travelers are raving about these Fes hotels

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

The location is good, and the view from the roof over Fez is beautiful, that is it. We were recommended to stay here by another couple who had stayed a few days before us. The court yard is nice (except for the bird poo on everything), but the rooms are not like what you see in the pictures which was disappointing. On arrival when given our room we had ask for another one because it was not what we had booked and the breakfast poor in comparison to other riads we had stayed in. We both got a bad feeling after we met the owner, he appeared untrusting and fake but we stayed anyway. We were promised WiFi, which is part of the reason why we stayed, but there were was none and the owner offered us use of his computer so we could book a hotel for our next destination. BIG mistake, we were to find out later that our credit card details and hotel account had been hacked ( it was the only time we didn't use our iPhone), even though we had cleared all caching etc on the PC, and unauthorized transactions on our credit card which then had to be cancelled,

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

At first I thought all the negative reviews were wrong, the room and riad looked great and the owner seemed nice enough and not very pushy about tours. Then we came back at night to find cockroaches in our bathroom. When I went down to ask for aid in getting rid of them, the owner led me to the kitchen, grabbed me, started kissing my cheek and tried to pull me in to kiss him! I screamed NO! and he then apologized as he thought I was not in fact married. It is very unfortunate as his staff is very kind but it is just not safe to deal with this man.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank Skyranis
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

When we first arrived at El Pacha the courtyard area looked really nice but when we were shown our room we were a little disappointed. The room was very small and the bathroom was poor and smelt badly of sewerage. The bed was also a little stained upon inspection. I am particularly critical of hotels and guest houses as I work in the industry myself but as always was willing to give the place a try.

Both my boyfriend and I had a terrible night's sleep on the first night as there weren't any proper curtains on the window and there was a light shining into the room throughout the night from outside. In addition to this the noise was extremely loud from the alleyway directly outside the window and could hear people shouting and cats screaming throughout the night.

We went for breakfast on the first morning in the courtyard and were really disappointed. Every other riad we had stayed at had hot items and beautiful freshly squeezed orange juice. This breakfast had neither and was really basic and food was stale. They also didn't have any milk for tea or coffee. At one point a bird pooed on the empty table next to us and the birds were also pecking at the bread and jams on the table that were layed for the next guests. We did find this rather unhygenic to say the least.

Whilst having our poor breakfast, we noticed a strange looking man (turns out to be the owner!) dressed in an old jumper and dirty trainers and tracksuit bottoms wandering around. He then proceeded to come up to us very abruptly to ask us who we were and were we leaving today! We were flumoxed and found it extremely rude. We later asked him if we could move rooms as we couldn't sleep in the same room due to the noise and his response was that nobody has ever complained about this before (looking at the trip advisor comments I see that it is far from the truth!) and said that if we didn't like it we could leave and find somewhere else to stay!!! Totally unacceptable and the worst service I have ever encountered. I was gob-smacked and had we not have already paid a hefty deposit we would have moved elsewhere.

After breakfast we had arranged for a private guide to collect us at 9am but never arrived as the man who looks after the place during the evening never arranged it for us as promised. Therefore we had to ask the owner to arrange for us. He called and told us to wait for 45mins but after this time the guide had still not turned up and his response was that we should find something else to do for the day instead!!!! Luckily the guide did eventually turn up and we were able to enjoy our day.

We did notice that throughout our stay that many other guests seemed to encounter very similar problems and the way that the owner spoke to them was appalling. The only positive part of our stay here was that the location was excellent and a stone's throw away from the medina. The roof terrace also has great panoramic views but is in serious need for a refurbishment....in fact most of the riad is!!!!

Please don't stay here!

Room Tip: By not booking!