“Great rooms, Great food, Great views” 4 of 5 stars

Riad Arabesque
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20, Derb El Miter | Zenjfour, Medina, Fes, Morocco   |
Ranked #46 of 85 hotels in Fes
Cambria, California
“Great rooms, Great food, Great views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I visited Riad Arabesque with a travel group that had rented all the rooms for three nights. On our arrival we all had a great time comparing rooms with one another. Each room is unique and spacious. Breakfast on the porch overlooking the city was excellent. Dinner was true Moroccan and it's quality can be attested to by the fact that locals were dining there as well. The owners and staff were all very friendly and helpful as well. The rooms are all named and don't have numbers. I could not remember the name of my room but it was at least in sight of the bar when I wanted to charge to my room so I could point to it. The only concern is that the stairs to the upper rooms are a bit steep.

Room Tip: Steep stairs to upper level, try for ground floor if that's a problem. Every room is different...
Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

As a frequent traveler I have stayed in many places from minus 5 star to 6 star, slept under the stars in The Sahara but Riad Arabesque was a complete surprise.

The exterior is typical of the Moroccan way, unobtrusive and hides the internal jewels so well inside.

The greeting at the door upon arrival is honest, and welcoming and of course an invitation to partake of mint tea is offered.

Appropriate "Buddha Bar" music permeated the riad and was so soothing even at night. A great touch.

Upon entering the central area the decor almost takes your breath away. Beautifully decorated in old world charm an absolute visual smorgasbord. I was then shown the balance of the ground floor area, The internal pool and fountain is the centrepiece of the courtyard, I sat there for hours each night access the WiFi.

My rook on the first floor was large, extremely large with a comfortable bed, appealing furniture and enough room to spread out for a small army of people.

To top it off, the menu was the best presented and flavoursome food I experienced during my two week extensive travel through Morocco. The presentation was second to none and the taste? I had just wished I had not eaten for days beforehand so I had room and could eat more of this wonderful food. To eat traditional Moroccan food in the environment was a match made in heaven.

Youssof, one of the support service of staff was first class and was demonstrated so well on the last day of my brief stay when I had to leave at 4am for a 6am flight. It was raining most of the night, yet I had one of my bags carried, in the rain, several hundred meters to the already organised and waiting taxi at the medina gate.

Would I recommend Riad Arabesque? Absolutely, I just need to find another excuse to stay in Fez so I can partake of this once in a lifetime experience again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
San Luis Obispo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I rented the entire arid for three nights. We were 26 in the group and we had 15 rooms. There was only 1 room that was not as great as the others. All in all, my group had a wonderful stay. The tag could not have been more gracious. The food we have at dinner was stellar. The breakfast was good, day two it was better. One thing that you have to remember, it is Morocco. If you want 5 star By US standards, you might not like it.

I feel hat it is 5 stars for what it is. I is much more enjoyable to. stay in a place that is authentic. The owners of the place treated us all like Royalty. You won,t find that down the road at Palais Jamai. Matter of fact. our dinner at Palais Jamai was, just okay, but not vey personable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I can't remember the name of our rooms, but we we were 2 friends travelling together and each had a junior suite. We loved our 3 night stay earlier in April. It was quiet and our rooms were lovely. The staff were terrific and we liked the location. We did not try the fitness centre or spa (if there was any)

Room Tip: I can't really provide a tip to help travellers secure a good room, but my guess is that all of...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Thank you Amina ! What a treat. Gorgeous Riad. We stayed in the chaouen Royal Suite, colourful tiles, ornate ceilings, beautiful stained glass doors...the details are exquiste. We stayed here for 4 nights. It was a highlight of our trip. (and there were a lot of wonderful places we stayed). Yes the food is more expensive than other places but it deseverves because the lamb was the best, most succulent lamb we had in the entire month we travelled in Morocco. Great location with the nie view over the medina. I had a hammam that was soooo relaxing. Just make sure to wrap your hair afterwards if it's a chilly night (with the argan oil it stays damp until you wash it out) Like all Riads/Dars there is a central courtyard so if there are guests with children you might be up earlier than you had hoped. But, amina and her staff are there to ensure you have an amazing stay. They are helpful and informative. Enjoy! We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Porto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This place need a total change. We arrived on New Years Evening maybe not the best time for a hotel to recevie the guests as it was 11 PM (1 hour before midnight). The place was through our booking told as a five star Riad. Our first expericance was that the way to the Riad was a dirt road up from the the main road around Fez Medina. There was a parking but no investment to make it look nice. A guard was looking after cars but no staff to receive the guests. The way up to the Riad was narrow stairs and one had to walk through the several rooms before entering the main room. This place had the newyears party, fully understandable but the staff got stressed that we came at this time, they aksed twice if would like to see the party (ofcourse so the could earn extra on it at last minute). We said no as we had children and was tired. They then took us up to a room on 3rd floor. The room was a kind of junior suite that we booked but it was defintly not reprsenting a five star place and the bathroom was not on the same level as one had to go down stairs to it and that was dangerous for our 2 year old son. My wife complained and wer got another room now much better looking on the 1st floor.

In our booking there was included breakfast. The breakfast was not fantastic. It contined fried eggs, Moroccan bread and Orange Juice from packet. Coffe or Tea. Why a place like this can not make fresh orange juice or get some additional fruits is strange specially as the Medina have it all available to low price.

Other impressions is that everywere there is cracks and things that needs fixing in public areas. Electric bulbs does not work. The Patio is dangerous for children. A la carte menu only contains Moroccan dishes and could have alternative dishes and inovations. Internet is not working well and only available sporadicly.

To make this Riad a five star place all must change. Management, interior, safety, and amemneties. The place at present is only a two star Riad.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had the best time. It started when when first arrived including collecting our bags, welcome music and tea followed by an excellent dinner. We had wonderful service during our stay, the onsite manager Jaffa was very helpful and so to the other staff.

I was great to expirience a true Moroccan Riad. Recommend it. The guide arranged by the hotel was average, but I would not brave the medina without one.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Arabesque? Share your experiences!