“Excellent stay” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20, Derb El Miter | Zenjfour, Medina, Fes, Morocco   |
Ranked #43 of 87 Hotels in Fes
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had a excellent time in this Riad in Oct.The building is beautifully decorated, it has a nice yard and roof top to have a panorama view of whole Fes medina. Our room is very spacious, with lovely Moroccan features. Very cosy. The window overlooking the yard. The first night when we arrived was quite late, so we decided to have dinner at Riad. There was a group having dinner, we had nice Moroccan musicians and belly dancers, it was relaxing and food was nice. Especially the salads and Tagine, very flavoured. So we decided to have dinner on the next day, the couscous was also delisious. Owners are very friendly and made us feel welcoming, they recommended tour for us ( to visit medina you better have a guide, whole town is a like a maze), also they even drove us to the other side of town as we asked for spa place to relax. After 2 days, we just felt like be at home. We checked out early morning, owner also prepared full breakfast for us at 5am in the morning!! There is no other big hotel chain would do that for you! The Riad is at the edge of medina, so you have the best access to visit the town by foot. We will definite recommend everyone to visit here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed here in the first week of October for 6 days. When you first walk in, it definitely has a WOW factor - very Moroccan accents everywhere. The room is superb as well - clean, spacious, warm and beautiful. We stayed in the Medina room. The staff are fairly friendly albeit communication was limited as all of the housekeepers do not speak English. It wasn't really a problem for us as we spoke French and a little bit of Arabic; make sure you at least brush up on basic phrases as it will come in handy. However, Jaafar is the one that speaks fluent English and he is the best person to speak to with regards to any queries you have. Amina and Khalid (the owners) are very friendly too.

The Riad is located near Sofital Palais Jamais, which makes it easier for you to take a taxi back to in the night, if you're out and about. You can also walk to the merenid tombs yourself eithout having to pay someone to take you there (just outside that Medina gate opp Palais Jamais. Walk out and take a right at the second roundabout. you should find yourself walking uphill and along a slightly windy road)

The main qualms are as follows:

1) the Breakfast isn't necessarily fresh - we would see them use the same Jam/Honey/Bread and move them onto our table. One time, one of our slices of toasts fell to the floor and our server decided to plop it back onto our plate!

2) The excursions are VERY expensive. For e.g, an excursion to Voliboulis & Meknes will set you back 1400 Dirhams which is by no means cheap.

3) They will NEVER recommend any anything outside of their riad. We asked them to recommend a restaurant outside the Riad and Amina just fell silent. This is not the kind of professional behaviour we as travellers expected to see from a Riad that claims to offer the best service our there.

4) The internet is very sketchy and tempermental, and that needs looking at, especially as they are advertising it so vigourously.

As a young couple (26 & 27 respectively) , we didn't find any people in that age group staying there.

All in all, a nice Riad, but i'm sure there will be better ones out there.

Room Tip: the MEDINA room that we stayed had double height ceiling so id recommend staying in that room or sim...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed here in June 2012, and I must say it is one of the worst places I have stayed in. The rooms at first are pretty and well decorated, but as you look further its tired and decrepit. I was promised an airport pick up, which I did not receive. In my booking reservation it stated that we would have complimentary tea and coffee making facilities in the room. When we showed the manager this, she looked confused and said our booking was wrong and that we don't do that here.
During my stay in Fez, my family became extremely ill with food poisoning. I put this down to the fact that we weren't used to the food. However, I came down one morning to have breakfast and found one of the waitresses cleaning the cutlery and glasses we were eating off in the dirty fountain water in the hotel.
The final straw came when they started to spray the whole downstairs area with a chemical to get rid of insects and bugs. The guy that was doing it was covered in a suit and had a mask on, so I'm assuming its not a healthy chemical and one that is probably banned in elsewhere in the world. We were not warned about this chemical spraying, and found ourselves being gassed in one of the seating areas downstairs. All of the staff had masks on, but they obviously felt we as paying visitors did not need them. We protested to the staff and they said that it wouldn't last long. After a good half an hour we had no choice but to sit in street outside the hotel to get away from the chemicals.
Save to say I will never be returning to riad arabesque!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

A group of us went to eat dinner here and the food was so good (esp. the seafood pastille) that we ended up returning the next night. The view of the old city is incredible and the service was really good too. I would highly recommend this Riad to anyone. We did not get the chance to stay here, but I would have done so in a heartbeat when I saw the pool!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

The riad arabesque is simply put one if the most beautiful buildings I have ever stayed in. As an experienced traveller it is rare to stay somewhere with so much charm. Part palace, part family home!!

The staff were friendly, the breakfast is a true breakfast of champions... Meaning you won't need lunch. The ornate pool and decor is great and is a wonderful sanctuary from the craziness of fez medina.

All in all a top stay

• Stayed August 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

The food was fantastic and the people were so kind and helpful!! Also, the view overlooking part of Fez and the surrounding mountains is beautiful, along with the wonderful traditional moroccan setting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Northampton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I have been to this riad numerous times over the past six years. I lived near Fez for 4 years and then have visited many times since then. I have been to and stayed in numerous different riads during that time and would absolutely say that this one tops my list. I began by just eating at their restaurant, bringing all my friends and family who visited to eat their as the food is authentic and AMAZING. Furthermore, the setting is absolutely gorgeous, with a beautiful view of the medina, exquisite plaster, wood and tile work with fountains and plants adding to the secret paradise oasis feel. It has easy access to all the sights of the medina, yet is tucked away in a slightly quieter corner, which anyone who has experienced the craziness that is Fez can understand is a very good thing.

The rooms are beautiful and all feel like honeymoon suites with lovely baths, little sitting areas and huge comfy beds with plush sheets. Ahhhh....totally felt spoiled. The family who owns the places was extremely generous and accommodating, picking me up each time at the train station, providing my meals whenever was convenient, and taking care of every other request I had during my stay. The prices are extremely reasonable for what you get.

All in all, this is your best choice in Fez by far. I highly recommend anyone staying there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Riad Arabesque? Share your experiences!