“The best dar ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 168 Fes B&B and Inns
Washington DC
“The best dar ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

This review is long overdue, but I believe Dar Roumana is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. It is not only beautiful appointment and exceptionally comfortable, but quinessentially Moroccan. Although I have stayed at some very nice hotels, Dar Roumana is among my favorites because it has so much character. It is also an exceptional bargain for the price. The owners were fabulous in helping to set us up with guides and restaurant recommendations. They also saved us from an ill-conceived plan to take an overnight train from Fes to Tangier. Instead, they convinced us to leave a little earlier (for safety reasons) and booked us a great hotel in Tangier before our flight home. We also had an incredible dinner at Dar Roumana-- I highly recommend you try Jennifer's cooking! We can't wait to return some day

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

Greate place with personal attention. Jennifer was incredible in giving us personal tips and experiences. The place has a gorgeous inside court yard. Most of the wood work was redone by Jennifer and looks amazing. We had an amazing experience there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

For what it is, this place is fantastic. The riad has been perfectly restored. It is really impressive and comfortable and spacious.

The staff is very friendly -- and the British couple who manages the place are lovely people. They couldn't have been more helpful, wonderful or kind.

The staff arranged a lovely day trip to Moulay Idriss/Meknes/Volubulis (sp?) for about 75 USD -- staying in Fes and taking a day trip to these 3 sites with your own driver is the quickest and safest way to go because public transportation simply isn't convenient to these sites.

I would caution any travelers with arthritis in the knees to ask for one of the rooms on the ground floor. The stairs are narrow and steep -- and there are A LOT of them to get up to the roof. If your room is also up there, you may start to suffer very quickly (I did.)

Also, if you have one of the rooms with outside windows, be prepared to be woken up by the call to prayer by 7 - 10 muzzeins (sp?) around 4 - 5 in the morning and the chickens shortly thereafter. For me, this was part of the experience -- but you might hate it.

The riad is in the old part of town, so be prepared for getting lost every time you go out. A taxi cab can get only about a hilly and dusty 10 minute walk away -- your luggage will be picked up by locals and pushed in a dusty cart to the riad, up and down stairs and bumps in the road. You might consider taking this into account when choosing which suitcase to take and how to pack your bags.

I consider myself to be a very seasoned traveler, and nothing could have prepared me for Morocco and Fes in particular. I hated the place and would never go back alone (unless I had to). Other female friends have traveled in Morocco and been fine -- I may have been just unlucky, but I was hassled constantly, particularly in Fes. I dressed as conservatively as possible, no jewelry, no makeup, hair tied back. I had people follow me, yell/swear at me -- it was a mess. I tried every type of response in 4 different languages except for shouting "no!" to the people harrassing me (as another riad owner suggested) -- maybe that would have worked, but I was on vacation, so I really didn't feel like yelling at anyone. I am used to being out and about 8 - 10 hours a day while traveling. In Fes, I lasted 1 hour in the markets before I had to get out -- and even that took more than a half an hour because it is so easy to get lost. And the minute you stop to look at your guidebook, the harrassment will begin again -- i.e., "why is a pretty girl like you alone in the markets in Fes?". At 41, I'm hardly a 'girl' -- but I was approached by men of all ages. One guy half my age in Fes started yelling obscenities at me in English when I told him that I would't go for tea with him and started to walk away -- he called me a racist and that was about the cleanest thing he said. He stopped only when other locals must have told him to stop in Arabic. During 8 days in Morocco, I had several similar experiences. Being alone in Fes in the markets was one of the worst experiences of my life. The only time I felt safe and wasn't harrassed/followed in that country in general was when I was with a guide. For me, part of the joy of travel is to be able to experience new places without having to use a guide. Having a guide in Fes means that you won't get lost and that you won't get harrassed -- but do you really want to be with a guide all day, every day? If you stop to try to read about a site or read a map in your guidebook on your own, you will be approached. I met another female solo traveler from New Zealand -- we were followed for about 10 minutes while walking through the markets together, completely ignoring the man who tried to intervene in our conversation and impose himself on us as our 'guide'. Eventually he gave up, but it was very uncomfortable, even as a pair.

If I had to go back to Fes as a solo traveler, I would stay only in the Sofitel Jamaii, where a single female traveler can hang out at the pool, the piano bar, in the vast gardens, and not be hassled. As a solo female traveler in Fes, I was inside once the sun went down. If you stay in a fortress-like riad, you may feel a bit imprisoned and not have much to do. The Sofitel is spacious, and I knew that if I had stayed there, I wouldn't be just sitting in my room. From there, you can walk 5 minutes down into the markets with a guide and come back up to a lovely spot when you can't stand it any longer -- and at least you can enjoy the rest of your time in town by the pool.

It's sorta difficult to call me a whimp -- I live in Russia and I have traveled alone in about 40 countries and lived outside my native US for about 5 years.

I highly recommend this riad to you, but ONLY if you are prepared to stay in Fes, in the old town, and aren't alone or want to spend all of your time with a guide.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying in Dar Roumana for two nights during our honeymoon in Morocco and it probably was the accomodation highlight of our trip. First of all the staff and management were excellent and we would particularly like to mention Jono and Fern for their hospitable service and their general friendliness, it really was warmly welcomed and we had a lovely cup of coffee with them in Bab Boujloud one evening. Also we must mention Mohammed, the night porter and a general all rounder. From the moment that he collected us (at an ungodly 5am) from our petite taxi, he catered to all of our needs and was a gentleman to deal with. We also had a lovely surprise bottle of wine from the management and staff on our second night post dinner back at the Dar. We were so impressed by the hospitality on offer that we subsequently returned two nights after checking out for an evening meal which was a culinary delight. Fern is an excellent chef and in Jono, an excellent and attentive front of house man. The beds in the two suites we stayed in were extremely comfortable and we both slept like logs on both nights. Breakfast was excellent, (we particularly liked the mixture of fruit and yoghurts and various breads, which were not offered in other similarly priced riads) and when taken on their splendid roof terrace which provided ample views of the medina and the city. We took up Jono's recommendation of a driver for a day trip to the nearby towns of Meknes and Moulay Idriss and a trip to the Volubilis (Roman ruins) and this was a worthwhile investment as we got so to see so much more because of this. Overall our stay in Dar Roumana was the accomodation highlight of the honeymoon and Jono, Fern and Mohammed must take a lot of the credit for this. Well recommended and very good value for money.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

We are seasoned, passionate travelers who have visited most of the countries in Europe, but only the famous Paradors have come close to the magic of this wonderful, palatial mansion in Fes. I say close, because even though the Spain's historic paradors can also be magical, but their rooms and service are not always as wonderful as the historic buildings themselves.

At Dar Roumana, however, everything is in place. Our hosts were a delightful, young British couple by the name of Jono and Fern, who received us with down-to-earth warmth -- the opposite of British stuffiness. Our room, the Yasmina suite, was like a dream come true: a huge room, with high ceilings plus a balcony of its own looking out to the city. And despite the fact that Dar Roumana is only minute walk to one of the main streets within the medieval core of the city, it is wonderfully quiet.

Can I rave some more? The terrace (available to all guests) has extraordinary views over the city and is a marvelous place to while away a couple of hours sipping on a drink or reading your travel book. Breakfast was served in the enchanting inner courtyard.

With respect to visiting the city, I'd recommend you ask for Hakim as your guide. He is a well-educated young man with a passion for his native Fes, and he'll show you all the highlights of his beloved city (together with some wonderful surprises as well).

To make a long story short: just book your room at Dar Roumana (preferably the Yasmina suite) and explore the unique, medieval wonder of Fes. You won't regret it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Dar Roumana in the Tamarind Suite for 2 nights in April of 2010.
It was a beautifully restored Dar. The breakfast was wonderful and our English speaking guide, Hakim, who the hotel manager booked for us for the whole day was the best. We learned so much and we got all our souvenir shopping done quickly, since we only had one full day in Fez. He took us to places, like a pre-school, that we couldn't have gone on our own. The only issue we had with this Dar was it's location; it was hard to find and get to; of course this is true of most places in Fez's Medina! Also, they were doing construction right outside the front door, which was shocking at first site. Our room was beautiful and huge. The staff was very helpful as well.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

We had such a lovely time at the Dar Roumana. Fern and Jono are excellent hosts, incredible chefs and lovely people. More than the gorgeous surroundings, stunning rooftop views, delicious gourmet foods, and luxurious rooms...the energy they have created in the Dar is outstanding and cannot be replicated. We stayed at another Riad suggested on this site and were sadly disapointed. We only hope they will have some availablity for us when we visit again! :)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Dar Roumana? Share your experiences!