“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 172 Fes B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Spent four nights here and absolutely loved it. Beautiful place and great location. The Yasmina suite is as good as the pictures. Delicious breakfast and really kind, helpful staff. Guests should definitely book a dinner here as well.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Dar Roumana is a place that makes you feel at home right away. Vanessa has a great sense of humor and style and explained directions with the map to me in a way that made sense to me (“this is all uphill”, “there are three arches”, “look up for this sign”) instead of north, south, or left and right. I spent the first day in the upper half of the medina away from the crazy 9,000 streets but had a great time people watching, going to the blue gate and clock restaurant and other historical sites. At the end of the day I felt pretty comfortable navigating around. What I really loved is that if you want to go out to eat, let Vanessa or Mohammed (an absolutely charming man- alas, too young for me) know and they will call to have the restaurant send someone to pick you up on foot and they will bring you back as well. Now THAT is door to door service! Breakfast on the terrace is heavenly and they serve the lightest scrambled eggs I have ever had. My room took up the entire floor with the bedroom, dressing room, and a glorious bathroom. There is a separate tv room, computer room, and other public spaces as well.

A guide was arranged for me for one full day and Abdelmalek (Malek) was just incredible. He was really, really knowledgeable, his English is great, he loves to talk to people, and has an infectious smile and laugh. By the end of the day he was helping me to negotiate prices- in fact the shopkeepers kept telling me I had a very good attorney. (Although one did ask me what Berber tribe I came from as I evidently picked up the art of negotiating pretty well for a foreigner. I took that as quite the complement!) Malek doesn’t have a website but his email is abdo_maroc50@yahoo.com Vanessa also arranged for a private hammam and massage for me at Dar Larousse- it was 2 hours of incredibly divine pampering at a very, very reasonable price.

By the time I left Dar Roumana, I felt like I was leaving home and realized I would miss everyone there. It is an incredible place to stay and on my return next year to Fes, I will be there again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
cairns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stayed two nights in fez in this very loverly riad an oasis in the medina beautifully restored we stayed in the yasmina suite gorgeous , dinner at night excellent ease of organising guides taxis ect
Vanessa ,Vincent and Jennifer excellent understanding with my husband who became ill in the medina thanks to all those kind people in the medina who assisted us

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

My wife chose Dar Roumana for our 3-day stay in Fes after going through the Trip Advisor reviews. We were not surprised by the exquisite look, the cleanliness and the amenities, most especially the view of Fes from the top floor. Vanessa was a gracious host and, almost always, had boundless energy and patience in dealing with all the guests. We stayed at the upper floors, on recommendation by the reviewers and we made the right choice. It was peaceful and quiet during bedtime, even when guests were having a great time over dinner at the ground floor. Wifi was excellent.

The dinner we had on our last night was great. Vincent is a great French chef that he is known to be and Vanessa must be really proud of his husband.

I will certainly stay again in Dar Roumana if and when I go back to Fes, especially if Vanessa can upgrade the A/C unit of our room so it will be quiet.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the upper floor to avoid the noise from the dining hall.
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We spent a lovely week in Fes, staying at Dar Roumana the entire time. The riad is beautifully appointed and the service is first class. We also dined there several nights and each time had a wonderful meal (including one specially made for our queasy stomachs). Well done Jen, Vanessa and Vincent and staff!

Elmira, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Dar Roumana is exquisite. Our family of six arrived after two nights in the desert and a 10-hour drive. To say that it was an oasis for six motley and weary travelers is an understatement! The dar opened in 2006 after painstaking restoration by its American owner; no detail was overlooked. We took three of the five rooms, each of which was beautiful and luxurious. Two of them overlooked the beautiful center courtyard. Manager Vanessa couldn't do enough for us. She welcomed us warmly and was a font of information. The dar is located in a quiet section of the old Medina, a short walk from the main souks. We stayed four nights, and each day we looked forward to returning to our beautiful refuge after the intensity of the Medina. The rooftop terrace has a jaw-dropping view of the Medina. We loved having breakfast there as well as a glass of Moroccan wine before dinner. I am very particular about where we stay when we travel; believe me, you won't be disappointed. Thank you Vanessa and staff for an unforgettable experience!

Room Tip: Every room is exquisite.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Nakhon Sawan, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

A night in the beautifully and painstakingly restored Dar Roumana, with elegant rooms and some of the best service we have ever received, is something everyone should experience!!!
Manager Vanessa is warm, friendly, professional and a fountain of knowledge about Fes and local culture. The Moroccan staff feel like part of the family and whilst you arrive feeling like Moroccan royalty in the plush surroundings you'll leave feeling like old friends.
If relaxing in your sumptuous room, decorated with astute attention to detail, isn't enough you can relax in one of the many communal spaces. Enjoy a mint tea by the fountain in the courtyard, cuddle up by the fire, retire to the TV room, curl up with a book in the library or enjoy the calls to prayer ringing out over the ancient medina from the roof terrace. High end budget-wise but worth every penny. We can't recommend this place highly enough- and we haven't even mentioned the amazing breakfast or the French chef!
We really loved this place and can't recommend it enough. I felt like a princess! Wonderful!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar Roumana? Share your experiences!