“Great job Jennifer!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 176 Fes B&B and Inns
Belgium
“Great job Jennifer!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I always wanted to see Fez and booked a cheap flight with Ryanair and was looking for a stay within the medina walls.
I booked Dar Roumana for 3 nights and reserved the Qarmousa Suite with 2 bedrooms for 115 Euro per night including breakfast.

First impression when I entered the Riad..... WOW!
A tasteful restored building; it felt royal.
The room was huge, high ceilings and I liked the small extra bedroom up the stairs as was travelling with a good friend.
Wireless internet available for free, with good enough performance.
No TV but I really did not miss that. There is a library where you can watch movies from their DVD collection.

The view from the roof terrace is stunning.

Breakfast was very good, fresh and more than enough.
We had dinner once in the Riad, prepared by Jennifer. It was probably the best meal we had in Fez; Mediterranean cuisine with a Moroccan twist.
We had several meals in Fez and tried all the typical dishes, but too be honest I found the taste at most of the other restaurants very bland.
If you are looking for a quick simple lunch in Fez, Café Clock looked very interesting. Serving camel burgers, fries and sandwiches.
Unfortunately we found this on our last day after we already had lunch, but dishes we saw passing by looked good.

A bit about the arrival and visiting Fez:
At the airport there is a taxi stand with fix prices listed for Fez. Think it was about 15 euro.
Don't order anything in the airport restaurant, it is way way to expensive.

The streets in Fez are relatively clean and I think the initiative and actions of Morocco to improve and drive tourism works well.
Not once I was pushed to buy things on the street or pushed into shops of our guide’s relatives.
Fez itself is a terrific place to visit and one of the most interesting and photogenic “citytrip” I did.

Only negative point I can think of is that I forgot one of my camera's in the room and after I contacted Dar Roumana, I was happy to hear they found it.
I sent my address and asked to post it to me and of course happy to pay for any cost for posting. Unfortunately I didn’t hear anything after that…. but have to say I didn’t sent any reminders either yet…

Conclusion:
Jennifer really did a great job in restoring this Riad. It has a great location within the Medina walls. You can find cheaper hotels/ bed and breakfast in Fez, but I feel the value you get is absolutely worth the price.
Still mourning a bit about my camera though…it's not a expensive one, but still...

Kim

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Casablanca, Morocco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

To be fair, we chose the cheapest room and thus our one and only small complaint was really our own doing. But I'll get to that later. First, the good - and a lot of it.

The Riad is stunning. Just stunning. I have stayed at a few riads in Morocco now and the terrace at Dar Roumana as well as the courtyard below are the best I've seen. Especially at night when they are lit up by candles - unbeatable. The fountain in the courtyard makes for a VERY relaxing place in a very busy and hectic city. The courtyard always had a few people in it reading or writing in journals - very nice feeling. We spent both nights on the terrace watching the sun go down and hearing the call to prayer - a highlight of our trip to Fez. The view from the terrace is amazing - you can see almost the entire city and the tombs up on the hill the other direction. Breakfast on the terrace is a treat. I understand they have great a dinner menu also, though we didn't try it (wish we had).

A few more notes about the location. It is reasonably close to a place where you can park your car - a big plus in a city that doesn't allow cars. That being said, it's a bit of a hike to make it to the other side of the Medina where most of the tourist action is. We appreciated the feeling of calm this offered us, but we did have to bust it uphill to get to most of the tourist things (Fez is built on an incline). If you don't mind that, the location offers easy access to parking and the outside city.

Rooms. We stayed in the Argana room which was small, but clean and lovely and refreshing. The bathroom, however, was less than awesome. It looked lovely, despite its odd location across the hall, but had a bad smell. I think this smell is common in medinas where buildings don't always have the best ventilation and I don't really know what can be done about it. It was worse after showering and probably worse because we went during a very hot time of the year. BUT the other rooms, bathrooms included, are spectacular. We were able to check out some of the other rooms and they are very impressive with lovely, aired out bathrooms and no trace of the smell. Also, the Argana is located at the tippy top of a very tall riad - not for those who don't like stairs.

We had excellent service. We were helped with trip planning, calling taxis, fetching us when we got lost, etc. We also felt at home to store things in the fridge, take books from the salon to our room etc. It has a very nice vibe to it.

I would definitely recommend staying here provided you can afford to stay in a different room.

Room Tip: Argana does not have the best bathroom - others rooms/bathrooms are fabulous.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

I would thoroughly recommend this Hotel in Fes; not only for it's beautiful traditional Moroccan decor, but for the hospitality, the food and every detail that was above and beyond expectation. Our week long stay involved many options of day trips which were all organised for us, along with cooking classes which were hands on and a fantastic insight into Moroccan cuisine.

Rebecca

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

From the moment we arrived the staff were brilliant and welcomed us into the dar. It has been restored beautifully with the courtyard and garden a great pla e to hang out and importantly very cool. (in June the heat is really unbearable!) the terrace is awesome too though with the heat we could not really enjoy it, sure it would be fab in sept time.
We stayed in the argana suite on the top floor which was a hike but worth it and very private, the other suites are more elaborate but also more expensive and we felt we needed the air-conditioning! All in all a great stay and would recommend.

• Stayed June 2011
Vancouver, British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Beautiful, well cared for Riad in a quiet corner in Fez. Great location for diving into the heart of the Medina but quiet enough for a peaceful sleep. Fantastic view from the rooftop terrace or for enjoying a glass of wine in the evening.
Staff are thoughtful and quite helpful, even when the owner, Jennifer is not available. It is a flawlessly run Riad with all the personal touches one can expect.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed at Dar Roumana (in the Roumana Suite) in Fes for 5 nights in March 2011. The Dar has been beautifully restored. The Roumana Suite was beautifully appointed with high ceilings, lovely ambiance and high-quality bathroom facilities.

The Dar has a fantastic rooftop terrace with stunning 360-degree panoramic views over the Fes medina - perfect for afternoon tea (which is provided on request) or for the keen photographer.

It was also good to have free access to a computer and internet during our stay.

The staff members Mohammed and Nezra (?) were extremely helpful and friendly.

The Dar is located approximately 200 metres from the main stretch of souqs. We appreciated that it was a little further away from the hustle and bustle of the medina.

We also explored the medina with the help of recommended guide Hakim. Hakim was a wealth of knowledge - educating us about the historical value of the medina and also had impeccable knowledge on music (he was the official guide to Johnny Clegg). We would certainly recommend that you use Hakim's services to gain a better understanding of the medina before venturing out yourselves and getting lost.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

Our two nights in Fez were spent at this riad, chosen on its merits of price and location. Despite all the great reviews, we didn’t really have high expectations - how wrong we were. Restoration of this riad boasts detail everywhere you look - it really looks like it has always been like this. The riad is in a great location within the north end of the medina and all the attractions are relatively easy to find. We stayed in the Tamarind room which was very nice and spacious. As a previously review states, you cannot hang the shower head because the wall bracket is cracked. This is the only negative thing I can say about the riad itself and I forgot to mention it to management. We paid 70 dirham for a taxi arranged through the riad to pick us up from the train station to the medina entrance and another 30 dirham for someone to take us to the riad. On the way back to the train station, we found our own way to the entrance of the medina (we were travelling light) and paid 10 dirham for a taxi to take us to the station. The service we got at the riad from Mohammed was profession and helpful and likewise from Gail who we met briefly once. The only negative thing we can say about the service was that we booked an evening meal which got delayed because other guest were late coming to the riad. On the menu was chicken tangine which subsequently became hard and dry. We couldn’t eat ours and there was no alternative because the cooks come in the day to prepare/cook in the daytime. I had lost my appetite anyway and Mohammed took 75 dirham off the bill, but not before saying that the chicken is “cooked that way in Morocco”?! It could have been one factor that could have ruined the whole experience of staying at the riad but it didn’t so I am still willing to give this riad 5 stars.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple