“Posh exterior, poor maintenance inside” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Sofia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 rue Royaume d'Arabie Saoudite, Fes, Morocco   |
Ranked #71 of 87 Hotels in Fes
Alcala de los Gazules, Spain
“Posh exterior, poor maintenance inside”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I spent two nights here on a tour and the hotel room was adequate but required some arguing at reception to get things fixed. There is a large surface with a mirror above and also a TV but you can sit at the table with plenty of space and good lighting. Initially the controller for the aircon didn't work.

At reception when I asked to get it fixed I was told to come back later but I refused. Then I was given the run around, send to the barman who sent me back to reception until eventually I got them together. Again I was told to go away and refused. Then the barman insisted that the reception man changed the batteries but he said no. I offered to put them in myself and eventually he gave me the key to an unoccupied room and suggested I change rooms. Instead, I swapped the controllers and suggested he make a note that the empty room now had no working aircon.

The shower attachment in the room was falling off the wall and in any case the bath was raised which meant anyone over six feet tall such as me, had to duck down to get wet all over.

All the staff are keen to say "Can I help you?" but then say "You need to talk to..." instead of themselves going and doing the talking for you.

If you accept that it's a bit rough and ready in the rooms then fine but the external appearance is that it's quite plush. In fact, they're not spending the money on the necessary maintenance.

Room Tip: Be very sure of checking the room before accepting it. Look at the fitting to make sure they're...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Satisfactory. Room was small, but clean. Bathroom clean. Shower was adequate. Beds comfortable. Pigeons camped on ledge outside our window were heard often. Continental breakfast was limited. Seemed to be a security person in the 4th floor hallway all night, at least that's what we think he was. Location was not very close to the Medina where we would like to have spent more time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I'm rating this hotel on our experience with other hotels in Morocco, and it was better than the average in our experience. We stayed two nights as part of a tour, and our room was generous and clean, and there was plenty of hot water. The bed was comfortable and we slept well with no noise issues. There was no view to speak of, but we weren't in the room during the day anyway so it did not matter greatly.
The staff were pleasant and check-in and check-out were without problems. We used the stairs rather than the elevator as the lifts were slow and very small, making them difficult to summon during busy morning periods! There was good internet connection (for Morocco) in the comfortable reception area downstairs, and the buffet breakfast and dinner were adequate with a fair range, and there was enough for everyone.
We walked around the streets in both evenings, as far as the old Jewish area and Royal Palace with no difficulties, but the hotel is not within walking distance to the Medina, which for us was one of the drawbacks. Still we had an excellent day exploring the Medina, and so the Hotel Sofia gave us the opportunity to see another part of Fes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Read the reviews with great trepidation but decided to take a risk and I must say that I was glad that I did.

Check in was prompt and efficient however I can easily see how this could potentially fail during high season.

The room was immaculate with a king size bed, ac and the bathroom had a door separating the loo which many advised was missing.

There was a flat screen TV and a fridge with a little ice compartment. You also get free wi-fi in the bedroom which was great especially as I was located on the 6th floor, whereas other hotels in the area restrict this to designated areas usually in the foyer.

Only managed to do breakfast once and decided that I could easily skip the continental fare that was on offer.

The pool is tiny and was very dirty. I asked whether it could be cleaned and was advised that this would be done but alas I left it in the same state when I checked out.

The hotel is ideally located off the main road where there are lots of places to eat and drink. The actual road that the hotel is on is a little dicey so ensure that you leave the heels at home as you're liable to break your neck on the 'pavements'.

Would recommend especially during low season where the crowd and noise is minimal.

All in all great value.

• Stayed June 2013
tanger
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

It can be very uncomfertable with out being able to sleep if you get a room above the disco.
about the crack of don the customers finish their evening Entertainment with lots of noise.
But it is a nice hotel with comfertable rooms and cuisine with French and Moroccan Dishes.
Hotel situated in the center of the modern quarters of the city of Fes. Good value for money.

Room Tip: try to get a room away from the disco
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Bakewell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Okay, doesn't look much from the outside and has corporate business/coach tour written all over it but we enjoyed a luxurious night here and would have stayed longer if our trip allowed. The room was airy, with a small balcony to the front, spotlessly clean with a large comfortable bed sporting crisp white linen. The weather wasn't good so the air conditioner on warm and the TV and comfy sofa were a blessing. It was quiet, the buffet breakfast extensive and the staff friendly and attentive.
The concierge, who spoke perfect English as well as Spanish gave us a fine welcome (we arrived without booking) had a lovely young man who spoke Spanish and a little English show us a couple of rooms, knocked the room rate down from 900Dh to 500Dh and helped us in every way he could re our various enquiries regarding onward public transport links to Rabat.
If you need a break from Fes el Bali in the new town but in striking distance of the Royal Palace you could far worse than this.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed there as a part of group for one night. Room was nice, clean, enough big and comfortable. Bathroom really big and clean. Very good location, staff helpful. Breakfast was good and enough for good start of the day.

Room Tip: Rooms on the garden side are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sofia? Share your experiences!