“Typical Coach Tour Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Sofia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 rue Royaume d'Arabie Saoudite, Fes, Morocco   |
Ranked #71 of 85 hotels in Fes
Prestbury, United Kingdom
“Typical Coach Tour Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Better than expected after reading the previous reviews. The room was clean and really quiet but the food was poor and the same every night (we only stayed 2 nights). There are lots of cafes close by. The staff were surly but I think that maybe normal for Morocco unless they are trying to sell you something. Taxis into the Medina for under €2 and a guide is €15. A great little electric train service is outside the hotel and does 90 minute tours which was good, much better than sight seeing by coach and only €5 pp.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Malaga, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed in this hotel as part of a group for two nights. I feel that people who complain about this not being 4 star should appreciate that the hotel star ratings in Morrocco are classed higher than other countries. 3 star would be more deserved. We felt pleased with our room, plenty of hot water, air con worked, clean and comfortable beds. The waiting staff were very good, one in particular took a lot of interest in us as my husband was ill on arrival and they personally sent some fruit up to him and constantly asked us about his health during our stay. The lobby was nice to sit in and wifi worked not only in the lobby but although not constant, worked in the room too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

I'm not asking for what you find in a normal 4 star hotel but I hope this message will be read before choosing this hotel: there is no lights in the halls ways no hot water in the rooms a bad smell in the elevators the breakfast and dinner has no sufficient quantity it is realy bad there is no enough light in the rooms.... Don't get fooled but the picture shown

• Stayed August 2012
north carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

1) Arrived in afternoon. Asked clerk about market. Told us to go to supermarket. We said we did not want supermarket. He gave us an address and told us to tell the taxi driver. We ended up in a Moroccan 'Costco'. Spent 5 minutes in store and took 45 minutes to find taxi back. Told clerk. He said, "best market".
2) Clerk insisted that official tour guide for $25 is the best thing for people with just 2 days in Fez. Made arrangements for us next morning. Met guide, who told us that it is another $30 for the driver. This guy just explained the market and history. Told the driver. He said, "of course".
3) Breakfast, included. Okay, food for dinner not great but decent. No complaints. Breakfast lousy. Asked waiter if bottle of water was extra. He said it was included. Got bottle of water. Head waiter chased after us after breakfast until I paid him $3. Okay, no big deal, but it's the way. He insisted. When I told him that the waiter said it was included, head waiter said that he was wrong... I still owe $3.
4) We were there in winter. Cold nights. Aha! Heat automatically shuts off after 3 hours. Colder mornings! #!$%#

Side note: Never take the guides, who simply steer you to their own contacts and are obnoxious if you don't buy their overpriced goods. Gawd! We were taken to pottery, rugs, jewelry, etc. Each place, we were encouraged to buy, and the guide actually got angry and offensive that we didn't. When he suggested we eat a traditional Moroccan lunch, I told him to take us home without it. He told my wife that I was refusing the lunch. Each place they requested donations. Okay we went back to hotel. Next day, we took a $2 taxi, shopped til we dropped for 10% of the cost they wanted the original day for goods, and finally smiled.

If you want a 4-star hotel, there are plenty for the same price that actually look like 4 stars and take care of their guests. Not this one.

Room Tip: It's easy to find a good room. Just look at another hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

My husband & I stayed at this hotel as part of a group tour of Morocco. The hotel has seen better days and could hardly be called a 4 star hotel. However, it was comfortable enough for a short stay and the buffet dinner was fine. We appreciated the free use of the computer (with internet access) in the lobby.

• Stayed May 2010
Brackendale, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

We stayed in this hotel two night as part of a 3 day Moroccan tour from Spain. We were scheduled to stay one night but our tour agency changed the schedule without our knowledge until we were well into Morocco…but that’s another story!
We found our rooms cramped, especially the bathroom where you shared toilet space with the bidet hitting your knees. The window/patio door didn’t seal and with the violent rain/wind storms there, it kept flying open during the night. Weather-stripping is non-existent so when the door was closed, the wind whished through the jam. More disconcerting was the presence of cockroaches in the bathroom every morning. It made for some high pitched squeals every morning from our two young girls…sorry to say that I don’t feel this hotel rates the 4 stars it proclaims to have!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010 via mobile

I gave them a one on service which was not really accurate. The people were nice and kind in general. However when my husband and I checked in he remained outside to deal with the cab and I went to the front desk. I was suprised that the front desk attendant could both not read numbers and understand my bad French or English. Turns out he could, he just had no interest in dealing with me. He spoke perfect English to my husband. This all is understandable in certian cultures but if you are a woman traveling alone don't stay here.
In general the hotel is clean but old and the people are nice but inefficent and unable to help.

I think this would be a great place for young men. Young enough to deal with the minimal ick factor and a man to deal with the painfully dissapproving staff. However it is a bit overpriced for the location and quality.

• Stayed February 2010

Been to Hotel Sofia? Share your experiences!