“A great looking riad but be careful...” 4 of 5 stars

You added Dar El Ouedghiri to your Saves list
Dar El Ouedghiri
49, Oued Souafine, Akibt Sbaa, Douh, Fes 30000, Morocco   |
Ranked #51 of 168 Fes B&B and Inns
“A great looking riad but be careful...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed with my friends two nights here. The first impression was amazing. It was our first properly looking riad with a lot of colours in it. We were there in winter so it was cold but the owner's daughter (who speaks v.good english) gave us a small heater. there is also an air con in the rooms so you can use it to warm your room. The rooms are different so have a look first before you decide which one to choose. The bathroom wastn't the cleanest one but for the maroccan standards was good. there was no hot water but after telling that to the owner's daughter that was soon sorted as they have a lot of fuses at the exit to the terrace and people simple use them to turn the lights at the terrace and that oftec causes the problem.
Make sure you ask if something is not right as they are always eager to help - just tell them. This is not only here but everywhere. Don't expect that someone will bring you something - ask for it and make sure you agree price first not to be overcharged.
the vi-fi is not the greates. It only works in the sitting area and the signal is very weak.
We also ordered a dinner one evening. There was no menu at that day so we didn't know the price - that was our first lesson to ask for the price before. We were charged more for this one dinner than for our stay. I wouldn't recommend to buy anything to eat there. you can buy much better and much, much cheaper food in the restaurant (as we found out later). We payed through the nose for tajin that wasn't even tasty. Also every evening around 10 p.m the owner came and sush ewerybody. People were sitting and enjoying themselves and I felt like a child that mother's come to send it to bed.

overall My experience there was good but I will never forget how I was overcharged for the tajin. that was outrageous.

Room Tip: Always ask to see the room first. I stayed in a room at the top floor. It was good in the winter as...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I recently spent 2 nights here on a flying visit to Fes.

I booked through the place I stayed in Chefchaouen and was picked up by a friendly English speaking man at the CTM bus station. I had to pay for the taxi which was 15dr. I gather from other guests that this is a per person rate.

The riad is located on a quiet lane, not far from one of the two main streets running through the maze/medina. Though you would have a hard time finding it on your own. There wasn't much of a sign, just a plaque/carved tile incorporated into the wall next to the door.

After the modest entrance I was taken aback when I entered the grand central room, two floors in height and decorated in traditional style. My room was directly off this room. 250dr if I remember rightly.

The room was large with a double and single bed. there was also a chaise longue, chairs and bizarrely a coffee table frame with no glass top.

Bathroom was clean. Had to hold shower head in hand as if you put it in the holder it would spray over your head. The toilet tank took a LONG time to refill, perhaps an hour or more.

There was aircon/heat. On the first night the heat stopped during the night and I woke up freezing. This was either due to someone turning off a switch outside my room or perhaps a trip switch as too much power was being used. Wifi did not work very well.

The views from the rooftop were amazing. Encompassing the medina and hills beyond the city.

The included breakfast was quite basic but filling.

When I arrived I had asked for a key for the room as there wasn't one. I didn't get one and I wasn't 100% comfortable leaving all my things in an unlocked room. Not that I think any of the staff would have stolen from me. On the second day one magically appeared in the door.

The family who run the place were very friendly and welcoming. The daughter spoke excellent English.

I organised a guide through them. I was told that the price could be negotiated with him upon his arrival (it was already late in the day and would be dark in a couple of hours so I would not get the standard three hour tour.) However once there he told me the price was not negotiable and as he'd already travelled there in a taxi I could not back out. I felt slightly misled.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Canada, Quebec , Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

A true Moroccan experience in an authentic family guest house at the heart of the old Medina of Fes. The rooms of the house are spacious, comfortable and very clean. The leaving area is beautifully decorated in the Moroccan style.

The owner Lalla Fatima and her daughter Kadija who speaks a very good English are excellent hosts, very friendly, happy, helpful and not to mention the delicious Moroccan food prepared by the Mom.

Room Tip: The owner prepares very delecious meals, so if you want you can ask for dinner at the riad and have...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Rochemaure, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

A real gem! We were received as long-lost relatives in this authentic family home in the heart of Fez medina. The place is beautifully renovated, with good, spotless clean rooms and bathrooms, Hot water is always available in abundance. From our experience, Lala Fatima makes the best pastilla in Morocco (and also takes good care of you when you get sick from the local restaurants' food...). Breakfasts are copious and homemade, Service is kind, warm and personal, always with a genuine smile. Location is excellent, in a quiet residential neighbourhood in the heart of the medina, with an easy, brightly illuminated access to the commercial streets, and a five-minutes walk to the taxis of Place Batha. The terrace is a show apart: as the riad is located in the upper part of the city and the views over the medina and the mountains are just amazing! Highly recommended for travellers who want to experience the real thing and a genuine human contact in Fez.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Faro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The riad owners are excellent hosts, very friendly, happy and helpful. The location is the best for those who want to "live" in the Medina for a few days and very close to the main shopping streets. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and very clean. The leaving area is beautifully decorated in the Moroccan style. One of the best places I have stayed in Morocco and the friendliest people I have met there. Definitely the place to stay in Fes.

Room Tip: Any room will do.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Dar El Ouedghiri? Share your experiences!