“John and Erica Witt” 5 of 5 stars

You added Riad Misbah to your Saves list
Riad Misbah
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Derb Drissi 5 - Batha, Fes, Morocco   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #43 of 172 Fes B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“John and Erica Witt”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We have just come back and found it fantastic. It is very beautiful, with the rooms kept spotless, fresh luxurious towels changed every day, quiet, efficient air conditioning, lovely pool kept at 27 degrees centigrade which, given the outside temperature, felt delightfully refreshing.
When my wife got a stomach bug she was looked after as if she had been one of the family - Fiela and Marco (who own and run the Riad) were truly concerned for her welfare - the same for me when I got (slightly) sick - they got her medicines which got her through in a day.
The breakfasts are ample, with a variety of home made (by Fiela) jams and marmalades, local breads, excellent Italian coffee or a choice of teas, fruit or fruit salad, natural yoghurt, etc.etc. we found that after breakfast (which we never succeeded in finishing) we scarcely needed lunch. We had dinner at the Riad twice and have only one complaint - we had enough food for four people despite there only being the two of us...the quality of the food was such that I truly regretted, despite my best efforts, my inability to finish it...it was amongst the best, if not the best food we had in Fes, as well as the most relaxed. we have done a lot of travelling over the years, and this establishment is outstanding - better than some five star hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I booked this Riad for my parents when they came to visit Fez - from the moment I contacted and visited the Riad initially, the owner Marco was very friendly and informative and gave me a full tour. Upon booking, communication was very clear re taxi pickup to and from the airport, meals and directions.
The location is excellent, found in the 'old town' but not so deep inside it that you feel lost. It is the area where taxis coming from the new town and other tourist sites meet the pedestrian-only old town (the area is called Batha) therefore there was never any ambiguity re orientation.
The Riad is decorated in a lovely Moroccan-Italian synergy style, and nevertheless to an excellent, expected, western standard of hygiene and decor. There is a huge amount of direct light (hard to come by in the old town of Fez), and a couple of communal lounge areas, perfect for relaxing after a long day walking around. The pool is also very refreshing and clean!
We had dinner on the first evening, excellent food and breakfast everyday tasty and filling!
Finally, very personable staff and a very friendly, easy-going atmosphere.
Staying here is a must for anyone visiting Fez, it is comfortable and given that management is western, you are in good hands!
From start to finish, an excellent experience. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

The Riad Fes is a great choice - it's full of charm, rather classy and the hosts are truly unique and wonderful characters, who will only add to you your delightful memories of your stay. Great location, wondrous food and conversation. A must. The Glaister Craddocks

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I arrived by chance to the Riad Misbah, but after staying there, I will never choose to stay anywhere else in Fes, Morocco. I am an experienced traveler, and I have stayed in many hostels, hotels, bed and breakfasts and other accommodations. I can safely say that the Riad Misbah is by far the best accommodation I have ever had the pleasure to stay at. Our adventure began when Marco, the Riad owner, arranged a private driver to pick us up from the airport. When we arrived and we walked up to the Riad we were greeted by a doorman who gladly took our bags and guided me and my girlfriend to the ground floor, where Marco and his wife Fiela were waiting for us to arrive. My first thoughts were that the Riad was a palace. The tile and wood work can be seen from the many pictures online at their website, but the pictures don't do justice to the true craftsmanship and man hours that went into the design and layout of the Riad. We were asked to sit with Marco and Fiela, while we were served traditional Moroccan mint tea with dried dates and homemade biscuits. This was our first time in Morocco, as well as our first time in a predominantly Muslim country. Marco, on his own accord, took the time to give us an information session on the country, its customs, as well as a detailed list of Fes traditions, places of interest and other important details. He provided us with everything we needed to stay safe, comfortable and content while in Fes. Marco and Fiela live in the Riad, and they make you feel welcome in their home while you stay there. After our tea, Marco took us on a tour of the Riad. We were astonished by the many features the Riad held within its walls. There was a huge pool, decorated with traditional tile mosaic , complete with privacy blinds and geometric wall art created specifically for the Riad. We were then taken to see the library, dining hall, steam room and massage parlor, living room, and shown the lower floor bathroom and safety exits. On the upper level was the balcony, another huge living room, our room, as well as other guest rooms. Our room was large, with a lot of extra storage space. The bed was clean and I would say it was the most comfortable bed I had slept on during my entire trip. When it came time to eat, we decided to have our meal at the Riad, on both nights we stayed there. Fiela prepared us whatever we wanted. The courses just kept coming. The food was exceptional. It was a great way to safely experience the food of a new culture, and the service was more than what we had ever expected. Marco and Fiela really put an effort into making us feel welcome, comfortable and safe. I highly recommend this Riad if you want to have an awesome time in Fes!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hudson Valley, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

In early April this year my wife, daughter and I spent four days at Riad Misbah in Fes. Although we had visited the Atlas mountains and Marrakech and ridden camels in the Sahara, Riad Misbah was the highlight of our trip. With its palatial indoor courtyard of jasmine trees offering their heady orange scent, an ultra clean and inviting pool, a blue and white tiled hammam (which my wife Evelyn highly recommends) and spacious common rooms, we felt welcomed and refreshed after our journey. Indeed, it soon became our home, its tastefully appointed bedrooms our sanctuary after visits to the crowded ancient medina just a minute away.

We awakened each day to a delicious breakfast - fruit compotes in colorful tagines, Moroccan pancakes, yogurts, fresh berries and stone fruits – served in a small dining room open to the main courtyard, with tall padded handsome chairs and Italian décor.

Marco Allemani, a former EU ambassador, and his wife (who was visiting Rome at the time) own and live in this exquisitely restored home of Italian and Moroccan design. Marco helpfully supplied us one day with a guide, who was informed and humorous, and when the nearby bank’s ATM machine swallowed my card, Marco insisted on going with me to the bank and, to my great relief, resolved the problem straightaway. He showed us restaurants we might like, parks, the best place to buy traditional djellabas (I bought a beautiful wool one, in a shop I wouldn’t have found otherwise), shoes and more. We also enjoyed very much conversing with him about politics, Moroccan history and other subjects. Yet Marco always respected our need for private time, especially at the end of a day’s excursions.

There are fancier riads in Fes, but with the minimal guest traffic assured by its small number of rooms, Misbah is unique precisely because it manages to avoid any reminder that you’re in a commercial establishment. It becomes your home. It is that intangible absence that makes this such a unique and extraordinary place. We look forward to returning to Fes, our favorite city, and cannot imagine staying anywhere other than Riad Misbah.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bristol. UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Marco and Viella Mazzochi Allemani bought Riad Misbah 20 years ago, but have only recently converted it into a guest house. A former EU ambassador, Marco was the first foreigner to buy a property in the Fes medina. In fact, this elegant guest house is in a prime location close to Batha Square on the edge of, rather than inside, the fascinating alleyways and souks of the largest motor-vehicle free urban area in the world. No expense has been spared on the conversion. It is centrally heated and air conditioned, has a full size indoor swimming pool, a hammam, a luxuriously furnished lounge and stunning traditional tiled courtyard.The bedroom suites measure up to the highest possible international standards. At the time of this review all this can be enjoyed for a modest 80 Euros per night for twin rooms, 120 for doubles including breakfast. Superb cuisine -- lunch and dinner on request. For more detail visit www.fez-riads.com

Room Tip: They are all excellent but take a look at the bridal suite
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I spent 4 nights at Riad Misbah this April and had a fantastic experience. Marco and his wife have done an incredible job restoring the property, it is just stunning. There is no doubt from the second you enter the Riad and smell the orange blossoms that you will have a unique stay.

Marco cares deeply that his guests enjoy their time in Fes. He took me around town to get my bearings and shared some insight and facts about the city as well as showing me some other incredibly restored properties. He went out of his way to keep me away from the faux guides that prey on tourists while also respecting my desire to explore the city independently.

Riad Misbah is situated with a great location that makes exploring the Medina especially easy and convenient. It was cool while I was there but I easily imagine wanting to escape the hustle and heat of the Medina by returning the Riad for a pleasant afternoon swim.

Breakfast each morning consisted of a very substantial spread of Moroccan dishes, I especially enjoyed the honey and fruit compotes and needless to say, did not need to eat lunch following the great breakfast. The fact that I was staying alone and was served at the huge dining table made me feel like royalty.

I would gladly recommend Riad Misbah to anyone venturing to Morocco.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Riad Misbah? Share your experiences!