“Needs a major cleanup effort...in several ways” 2 of 5 stars

Visit Medina of Fez like an insider
Top Rated
$59*
and up
Experience Morocco: Visit a Souq and Cook a...
Ranked #1 of 56 things to do in Fes
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: The city’s ancient quarter is an intricate maze of streets lined with open markets, shops and mosques.
Milwaukee
4 attraction reviews
“Needs a major cleanup effort...in several ways”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

I'm sorry but after the Marrakech medina which can still be daunting and a bit intimidating (but we really enjoyed) the medina in Fez tops it all as far as harassment. As a woman traveling with my husband (and I'm not young), the looks, leers and comments from the men were totally uncalled for and I'm not easily made to feel unwelcome. My husband finally realized today what I was talking about when he walked several paces behind me today. I'm sorry but these men need to grow up or get a job. To top it off it is totally filthy with trash and animal excrement. Yes, it is an experience but not one I care to repeat. There is so much potential here tourist wise that is being thrown to the wind because of some of the locals who don't want tourists in their medina- or at least not western tourists. We really wanted to like it but neither one of us did. I would have gladly bought things here had it not had such a menacing feel to it. Instead, we stayed in our lovely riad much more than we had planned. This place needs a major revamp I'm sorry to say. Reputable business owners need to get together and clean the place up. The one highlight was the Chouara leather tanneries which are well worth seeing....

Visited March 2014

Guerneville, California
3 attraction reviews
“Medina time-warp”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Spent almost an entire day here with a guide. What an experience! 2 million people cramped together behind the walls in a maze of narrow alleyways. People carrying on with their daily routines as they have for centuries. Small craft shops everywhere, selling & making all goods imaginable. People friendly and helpful. Don't go in without a guide, you will get lost. Make sure you visit the odiferous highlight of the medina, the animal tannery. See men working as if it were the 12th century. Make sure you use the provided mint sprigs, you'll be happy you did.

Vancouver, Canada
10 attraction reviews
“Tired vendors, zealous hustlers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

The hotel warned me that i must take a guide, which they chose. He apparently knew the medina, but wouldn't listen to any of my "wants", he had an agenda (probably taking everyone to his brother's shop), and became upset when I tried to change his itinerary. The "tour" was overpriced, and ...well...I prefer to get lost on my own without a loud, arrogant "guide" to order me around. My second day I just wandered, and if I got lost I just asked elder men or women. No problem. Forget taking a guide in the medina!! Or...be prepared to argue a lot if you have your own wishes!

Townsend, DE
38 attraction reviews
“Wild and wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

This is a shoppers paradise if you can let yourself go and get lost in the labarinth that is Fes. Even is the middle of winter it was bustling with folks from near and far searching to make a deal. Be warned there are lots of steps and narrow paths. I found the people warm and helpful

Barcelona, Spain
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

The medina is impressive and it is like literally step back in time. I love walking around and getting lost in the narrow streets of the medina, follow the sounds and smells wiill get you to crafters and nice places.