“Clean, friendly, and very well located” 3 of 5 stars

Pension Batha
8 Sidi Lkhayat Batha, Fes, Morocco   |
Ranked #150 of 176 Fes B&B and Inns
Minneapolis
“Clean, friendly, and very well located”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

Hello to Leylah and Ali, who were personable and fun getting to know. I was at the Batha for 8 days in April. while the location couldn't have been better, and the maid really did a thorough job cleaning it everyday, Omar, the owner, needs to put a little money or at least some effort into the place. The enamel in the bath tab of the top room (I think it was number 5) was worn-away so badly that you'd probably get lead poisoning if you actually tried to take a bath. of course if you tried to take a shower, the bracket which was suppose to hold the shower head was broken. it would have been a very simple repair, but hadn't been done. The bidet was missing a faucet and looked like it hadn't worked for a longgggg time. Many things were either broken or in a state of disrepair.
Also I was moved 3 times during my stay which was really a pain as I had to repack and usually helped lug my bags up or down 3 flights of stairs.
still the price was right and I'd probably stay there again.
I liked the way the Leylah and Ali took an active interest in the comings and going of their guest. You could tell they discussed us, which I found amusing.
Someone mentioned a swimming pool, but there certainly wasn't one when I was there. it's a small hotel, mainly vertical, with only 5 or 6 rooms.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2008

While the staff were friendly and helpful, they seemed adamant that the room, featuring concrete walls, an open passage to the bathroom, and no heating, would be warm enough to not warrant finding us extra blankets. We froze, and could see our breath as we shivered in bed the next morning. The stone-cold showers didn't help either. The towel provided was the size of a tea-towel, breakfast tided us over until morning tea, and the room was clean enough.
Still, it had a brilliant location, was fairly cheap, and was the only place where we weren't woken up by the (pre-)dawn Call to Prayer.
Not recommended at all for the colder months.

• Liked — Its location and price
  • Disliked — The lack of respite from the bitter cold
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Redditch
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

I had telephoned Pension Batha and reserved 2 rooms for 3 nights. The lady on the other end dutifully took my reservations and asked me to confirm the day before arrival - which I did and was told that my reservation had been confirmed.

When we arrived at this place the lady at the reception told us they were fully booked. We spent 5 minutes explaining that we had phoned her, reserved and confirmed 2 rooms. She eventually got up from lying on a bed, traipsed over to the book and told us we were not even on the list. She did not even recall us phoning, we checked the phone numbers with her and we had been calling the right number.

We ended up staying in the greatly more expensive Hotel Batha nearby (which had the charm of one of those carbon copy motels).

In the evening we went back to Pension Batha to speak to the man who had taken our confirmation. He denied he had even had a phonecall from us the previous night, and had no record of me calling him written in the book. It was definitely him I spoke to.

My experience of Pension Batha is that they give their rooms away first-come-first-served, ignoring reservations. The staff lied to me in a shameless manor.

This hotel will probably be fine if you turn up and ask for a room, but if you make a reservation, don't count on them honouring it.

• Liked — -
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Barcelona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night and we were very pleased with the service of the hotel. The quality/price is interesting and very good value being so close the the old town of Fes. There's no danger to live in this part of Fes and you're very close to all action. Rooms have nice decoration and one big bathroom and the breakfast is ok. There's also a swimming pool and the hotel can arrange for a professional guide to visit the medina for 150 Dh (3-4 hours). It's easy to get lost in the medina and a guide can explain the history and it is a good way to get introduced into the labyrint of streets. We loved Fes, it's an incredible awesome town and people are friendly.

• Liked — The serive
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The location is excellent, inside the medina but away from the bustle, right next to the Museum and near the Hotel Batha. The rooms were nice, of great value. Breakfast is served on the balcony overlooking a small square. Met the owner and he was charming. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple