“Gorgeous hotel in an unforgettable city” 5 of 5 stars

Sofitel Palais Jamai Fes
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bab Guissa, Fes 30000, Morocco   |
Ranked #41 of 87 Hotels in Fes
Concord, Ma. USA
“Gorgeous hotel in an unforgettable city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This hotel exudes opulence from the moment you walk in the door. The zelige everywhere, beautiful views over the poolls and garden, and being offered tea after a long journey is so rewarding, and the service here is impeccable. Our suite overlooked the medina and at night we could hear the call to prayer. We spent quite a bit of time in the medina (steps away), but to see it from our balcony above was another experience. This is such a sumptuous and beautifully maintained hotel; the gardens are extensive and beautiful, and the gis very nice. During the day my children were given complimentary henna tatoos which were gorgeous. Def.ly a perfect first stop for Morocco (although hard to get to as most flights go to Cas).

Room Tip: You definitely want to overlook the medina.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
sofitelpj, Directeur général at Sofitel Palais Jamai Fes, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Fès Palais Jamaï. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Amal EL ARFAOUI
Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Peterborough, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is by the far the best place to stay in Fes, but it is not upto 5 star standard. The lobby area is very nice, as is the bar area and the rooms itself is nice but the bathrooms are awful and definitely need upgrading.

The bar area is next to the hotel lobby and you can have a drink on the outside terrace which is lovely as it overlooks Fes old town and has to be the best view in the city. Next to the view is one of the famous pigeon houses where the locals collect the pigeon poo to make the leather soft, fascinating.

The restaurants downstairs are really good, we only ate at the moroccan one and the tagine was out of this world, it was amazing. I could not get enough of the food it was truly brilliant. Breakfast was very good and a really good selection and service.

The pool area was superb and was not busy at all, no germans reserving the sun loungers, and it was really quiet and pleasant.

The rooms itself was very good but the bathrooms are awful. The toilet is separate to the bathroom and has a shower head next to the toilet, disgusting. and when you shut the door in the little room it feels so dingy and horrible. The main bathroom is pretty bad too as it was a shower bath with shower curtain, i have never known a first class hotel to have shower curtains so this was a real let down.

Overall we were treated really well, the staff were very helpful and polite and did anything to help us. I would return here and recommend it.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
new york, new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Beautiful hotel. Public areas are nicely decorated with mosaics and other architechural features. Dining terrace for breakfast and dinner overlook nice, large pool area and hills to the south. End of bar terrace has panoramic view of medina. Stairway down from pool leads to attractive gardens and fountains and a small shop supplies much needed sunscreen for purchase. A car park is located next to hotel entrance which is guarded and safe. Our first night for dinner featured musicians and surprisingly, a belly dancer. Chicken tajine and pastilla were terrific! Room was modern and well air-conditioned, a relief for visiting in July. Enjoyed having a balcony for the cooler evening and the pool is wonderful for a cool-off during the midday heat.
Many thanks to concierge Jamal for his guidance and expertise to our questions. And many thanks to Bahija, who leads the breakfast crew; my friend and I were late for our first breakfast and she halted the removal of platters so we could eat ( we weren't late the next morning! ). A splendid place to stay.
Only one annoyance; the pool is too deep. I'm 5'8" and if I stand at the "shallow" end, my head is underwater. One should be able to stand or sit somewhere in the pool to cool off instead of constantly treading water. A poor decision from the designer.

Room Tip: You'll love having a private balcony with your room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

After days and days of driving through the hot desert and staying at rundown 1/2 star establishments, I was teeming for excitement to stay at the Sofitel. To my severe disappointment I was greeted with the worst customer service I have ever received at any hotel I’ve ever stayed. I would have rather slept in a taxi then have stayed at this hotel. The staff was rude at the front desk and the on site Manager was a NIGHTMARE. Even the restaurant charged me for a “salad” which I sent back because it ended up being small of food I couldn’t even decipher and the waiters were too rude to enlighten me. Never would I ever stay at this hotel even if I was given free accommodations.

Room Tip: The rooms are nice, just avoid the staff as much as possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
los angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed about 3 waking hours at Sofitel Palais Jamai and in those short hours we were verbally abused and talked down to like infantile third class citizens. There were 4 of us, all girls. We had planned to check in at 10pm and check out at 5am so we booked only 1 room to crash. They have a maximum occupancy of 2 per room. Instead of politely telling us about their policy and offering options such as additional rooms at a discounted price or addition cots with extra fees like service industry folk often do, they sent JOLANDA SADNI up to school us. She knocks loudly and right when I opened the door she started scolding. Arm on hip and finger pointing, the whole 5th grade teacher deal. She kept saying “You are trying to cheat us. You should know better. You must leave the room. You must find somewhere else to stay”. Then they sent security up to escort us downstairs (no joke). The whole way down the elevator JOLANDA was incessant about teaching us a lesson on “ethics” even after we had already told her we were now very aware of the maximum occupancy rule. When we got to the front desk there were now 3 people lecturing us, none of them offering us options. We ended up paying $200 for an additional room (our idea not theirs). Everything about the hotel lives up to Sofitel standards but honestly I wouldn’t recommend anyone staying there based on the service alone. The entire staff needs to attend Hospitality Training 101. In addition, the place is a minefield of hidden charges. The staff will stare at you blankly and pretend they don’t speak English when you attempt to refute the charges.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
sofitelpj, Directeur général at Sofitel Palais Jamai Fes, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
First of all, thank you for have taken the time to write about your experience.

Let me start by introducing my self : my name is Jolanda Sadni Ziane, General Manager of the Sofitel Fes Palais Jamai, because we never had the change to meet. The lady you have met was our Duty Manager for that evening.

If she handled your situation not according to your satisfaction then I apologize and I will follow up with her.
On the other hand I have to say that she respected our safety and security procedures. Also according to the moroccan law, we have to declare all our guests who stay in our hotel. Then for our Hotel procedures we can't have two persons checking in and two persons just walking in and go up to the room. I am convinced that you will certainly understand that we have to be very strict on our procedures, this of course for the benfit of our guests.

Once again I apologize for the inconvenience.

Cordially,
Jolanda Sadni Ziane
Sofitel Fes Palais Jamai
Geelong, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed in a lovely riad nearby but went to Sofitel to use the pool. We didn't mind having to pay and decided we'd have a drink to . OMG. They charged us €50 to swim and €28 for 2 drinks. The hotel seemed empty. The staff were falsely nice.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Very nice location in the medina and a beautiful palace makes this hotel quite memorable. Common areas were worn down and stinky. Staffs English was poor and breakfast was drab. Exposed pipes in bathroom, an incorrectly calculated bill (in hotels favor of course), a wakeup call 20 minutes late and turn down service that oddly just changed a toilet paper roll are not things found in a 5 star hotel. Beautiful grouds and pool area make me think this hotel was likely 5 star 10 years ago. Hope this helps.

Oh, if u do book here buy the breakfast with ur booking online for an extra 5euro or else you will pay 20 euro onsite.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sofitel Palais Jamai Fes? Share your experiences!