Upon arriving at the Palace your breath is taken away by the beauty of the building, from the ornate entrance to amazing courtyard and interiors, and especially the original cedar wood library.
We were upgraded (a very nice surprise) without asking, and the receptionist / concierge (with spectacles) was very very good. Couldn't be more eager to please or to assist you in setting up excursions, restaurant bookings, and also amazingly keen to hear your experiences when you arrived back from your outing. Top class.
Spa treatments and set up is also superb, although receptionists speak little english. Always a great treatment and a very good black soap scrub and hammam. We bought lots of goodies to take home including their lovely bathrobes.
Ok so the not so great details (sorry never like to be negative but this was outrageous):
- the Manager that everyone raves on about on here was awful. He ponced about in his shiny suits, barely managed to eek out a 'good morning' or 'good afternoon' and whenever asked to help with anything managed to slopy shoulder the responsibility on to someone else.
- the rest of the main reception staff (except lovely young guy with spectacles) were atrocious. No request or minor question was treated with any respect or any immediacy in carrying it out. They might aswell have been on holiday too !!
- the pick up and drop off from the airport were very prompt, and be aware you will be strapped in to a formula one race everytime you get into the hotel grande taxis - they will swerve through traffic and near miss head on collisions for fun. Joy!
- restaurant staff on the whole were good at breakfast time, for dinner (in what is supposed the second best restaurant in Fez) was terrible. First they stepped on my wifes feet, then bashed her chair, then dropped her bread roll and proceeded to pick it up and put it on her plate !! Then when we asked to split the bill with another room we dined with (half and half) there ensued a half an hour debacle of fawlty towers proportions where nobody new how to work the computer / bill / and there was a lot of shouting and finger pointing - in front of the hotel owner...
- .....which leads me onto the hotel owner - who was there everyday for most of our stay except for the Eid days, where he promised there would be a celebratory feast for breakfast and dinner. Was there? Nope. Nicht. Nada. Nothing. He witnessed all these debacles and did nothing to assist.
- The final nail in the coffin - the hotel bill. We asked four times during the week to see the bill and four times they failed to deliver, until the night before departure we sat at reception and refused to leave until they produced a bill. We were leaving at 5am the following morning and didnt want to check a one hundred line bill at 430am! So they produced a god awful fuss and argument about getting a properly printed off bill for us - and even though we had paid for the rooms in advance with Booking.com - they still put the room rate on the bill, and also messed up almost everything else, then their printer broke, then they managed to have a stand up row with another customer who also wanted to see the bill.....it was beyond fawlty towers and now a mockery - 5 star hotel and service - no chance !!!
Overall if you want an amazing location, beautiful building, one very competent receptionist, some amazing spa treatments, and a whole headache of other abysmal service levels - stay here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Boutique luxury is taken to the next level on the doorstep of Fez’s Medina, where unparalleled comfort meets exquisite artistic flair and rich Moroccan tradition at Palais Faraj Suites & Spa.Explosions of colour and examples of ornate intricacy infuse the design-inspired interiors of this luxury boutique hotel. Each of the suites is a haven of meticulously mastered style, immersed in beauty and adorned with exquisite features. Elaborately carved wooden pieces and comfort-steeped designer furnishings mingle with vibrant tiling, sculpted ceilings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Splendia, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Palais Faraj Suites & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.