“excellent service and amazing hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Palais Faraj Suites & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16-18 Quartier Ziat, Derb Bensouda, Fes 30000, Morocco   |
Ranked #12 of 85 hotels in Fes
Meknes, Morocco
“excellent service and amazing hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

this hotel is very nice .It reflects the real moroccan architecture.the staff are very friendly and available all the time.I asked for a visit in the medina and they arranged an excellent english speaking guide who knows all about the history of the medina.one day I decided to eat outside and the receptionnist recommend to me a very nice french restaurant which is located in the new city(good recommendation by the way).When I went to the spa for massage for my first time, the front desk agent escorted me till the spa reception where a lady working there welcomed me with a smiling face.then, I had a unique relaxing massage which I've never had before during my vacation in Morocco.
Briefly,If someone wants to spend a good time in Fez this is the best place i can recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

281 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This hotel is beautiful, the rooms are spacious with all the amenities of a 5 star hotel, the food in the restaurant is delicious (ranked #4 on tripadvisor for restaurants when we visited) and the spa is nice. Our room was a great place to hole up in when we wanted a break from the Fez medina. Oh, and the breakfast is delicious (the Spanish omeletes!)

However, I wonder if Fez would be better done staying in a riad with its very personalized service. In Marrakech, we stayed in a Riad where the manager personally gave us directions to every single place in the morning we would want to visit, showed us on a map, and made sure we knew how to get everywhere. In Fez, which is a city exponentially more difficult to navigate than Marrakech, we asked the front desk for directions and were given a map, with some basic directions on how to get into the medina. Once inside the medina, within 2 minutes we were lost, and we ended up hiring a half-day guide to show us around (and we typically like to do everything on our own). Once we were done with the guide, we asked the taxi to drive us to Bab Ziat, which is what we were told to do at the hotel. The driver dropped us off somewhere, and we had no idea where our hotel was in relation. We asked people in cafes, security guards along the road, taxi drivers, and no one knew of our hotel or could read the map that was given to us by our hotel. We eventually stumbled and found our way to the hotel, but the experience was made more scary by the fact that we were being aggressively followed / hassled by a group of teenage boys. When we came back to the hotel and asked what we should do next time, the person at reception said 'just tell the taxi driver Bab Ziat. He probably didn't understand you because you were speaking English.' Helpful.

Because of that experience, we were actually put off by going back into the medina ourselves. That night we wanted to eat dinner at a place that was highly recommended by everyone but was in the medina. The people at reception were unable to give us even basic directions, whereas I feel like the manager at our riad in Marrakech would have personally walked us if we felt uncomfortable. So instead, we had to settle for the hotel's recommendation for an average and expensive French restaurant in the New City because we could take a taxi straight to/from the location.

Finally, the same person at reception seemed very concerned about an umbrella we had borrowed on the first day. I told them that we wanted to keep it until the end of the trip (thankfully because it poured rain the next day). It was strange for a luxury hotel, as at other five star hotels, I have never been asked about making sure I returned the umbrella (even though I always do).

I've actually had friends stay at this hotel before, and they loved the service they received. So perhaps I was just put off by one specific person or incredibly spoiled by the service we received in Marrakech, and hopefully it was a one-off experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
palaisfaraj, Directeur général at Palais Faraj Suites & Spa, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Palais Faraj Suites & Spa!

I would like to thank you for choosing the Palais Faraj for your stay in Fez, also I thank you for your valuable comments.

First of all I would like to sincerely apologized for the misconduct of my team and the lack of information you received during your stay.
This is not at all our standard of service, and the special treatment we want to provide to all our guest.
The medina of Fez is a huge pedestrian city of 1200 little streets and we definitely ask our guest to have an Official local guide in order not to get lost and visit this beautiful medina the best way possible.

Again I thank you for the time you took to give us this comment, and wish to have the opportunity to welcome you again to the Palais and take personally care of all your needs.

Kind Regards,

Mederic Fauchille
Great Barrington, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Be prepared to have your expectations exceeded. This expensively appointed hotel is beyond superlatives. As soon as you enter the reception area, turn left and gasp at the courtyard. The owner greeted us personally when we checked in, at breakfast, and when we checked out. Our guide, Raiss Abdellatif, to the medina was extremely knowledgeable and personable. We hired a driver, Mostafa Bellah, to take us to our next stop in Morocco and he was with us for 2 days; he too made our trip memorable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking into the courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My sister and I stayed at the Palais Faraj in Fes in October, 2012. We were greeted by Mederic Fauchille, the general manager, who personally showed us to our room. The room was actually a suite and was just beautiful. When I arrived, I was suffering from a cold. Mr. Fauchille was so kind - he sent a pot of tea with lemon and honey to my room. This is just an example of the exemplary service provided at the Palais. Not only was the room amazing, but the food was great, and the spa fantastic. We were in Morocco for two weeks, travelling 2,400 km around the country and this was by far the best hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The Palais is outstanding. The location is excelent, just on the border of the Medina. I dare saying that it was the most beautiful hotel I ever stayed. The architecture and the decoration of the rooms are superb, Moroccan style, in the right tuning (some of the riads are quite exaggerated). The breakfast is complete and served in a wonderful room, with view to the Medina. The service is great, they are very supportive. The only aspect that should be improved is the shower, which does not have a glass, so it spills out in the bathroom. But the hotel is so impressive that this is not a problem at all. We truly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We were looking for a nice hotel next to the medina, but easy accessible by car. We arrived at 18, when it was already dark, but could easily find it and could park the car in the courtyard. Our room was upgraded to the "Suite Vizir", with seperate sittingroom and bedroom. We stayed here for three nights and were treated as king and queen. We booked a tour with guide through the Medina at the hotel. The location is perfect for that. And when tired of the busy Medina: There is a swimmingpool, bar, restaurant and rooms have Wifi. A romantic, lovely palace!
One other amazing story: We were waiting for our taxi, which took quit long to arrive. The salesmanager, on this way home, brought us to the restaurant in Ville Novelle. How's that for service!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Banff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This riad is spectacular. The building itself is beautiful with wonderful tile work mosaics, fountains and carved designs. It is authentic, romantic and feels other-worldly. The service was spectacular, the restaurant was very nice. The views from the rooms cannot be outdone - a spectacular vista of Fes. The guestroom are spacious and beautifully appointed. Location is perfect. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel anyone I know.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Palais Faraj Suites & Spa? Share your experiences!