“Behind those big doors is this gorgeous Riad” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Salam Fes
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18, berb bennis, Fes 30110, Morocco   |
Ranked #43 of 85 hotels in Fes
Sydney
“Behind those big doors is this gorgeous Riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Just as we thought we had stayed in all the best places in Morocco we arrived in Fez and opened those big doors and wow we were yet again pleasantly surprised. This place is so traditional. Very tasteful - we stayed in the royal suite which was so luxurious. The service was excellent and the staff spoke good english. The food was really yummy and the location is very central. I also had a hamman and recommend this highly to anyone staying in the riad.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I rented the whole place for 3 days early June. Family and friends made the trip to Fez to celebrate our wedding. Most of them stayed in Riad Salam while the rest stayed in nearby Riads. The building is fascinating! The Riad is in a very good location, just a few minutes walk from the main street. The suites and rooms are wonderfully decorated. The staff was amazing, very kind and always available to help with a big smile on their face. We had a traditional Moroccan breakfast served near the pool every morning. We also ordered evening meals and they were very good. We offered a big dinner to friends and family (almost 80 people) and it was a real success: the staff helped with every single detail (flowers all over the place and in the pool, lights, table setting, etc). Absolutely fantastic!
Our guests were very happy with their stay and left with vivid memories of Fez and Riad Salam.
I highly recommend this place! We had a great stay and would definitely go there again when we return to Fez.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Very good location for visiting Fès, not very far from the medina. The suites are generously and very nicely, it is generally a very nice Riad. The traditional breakfast is very tasty and nicely served near the pool. We also have ordered an evening meal which also was very good.
The hammam was a very nice surprise, two women give good treatment. personnel really nice and adequate. Good free Wifi connection in the Suite.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We could not ask for a nicer place to stay in Fes. The staff were lovely - very kind and always available to help in any way they could. The building was beautiful - opulent and wonderfully decorated, with all the necessities and cleanliness one would expect. The location was great as we were just a few minutes walk from the main-market high street of the old town. Food was wonderful and we found ourselves getting stuck sitting by the pool every day and soaking in the silence rather than going out! I highly recommend this place - absolutely no problems or complaints about our stay - and would love to come and stay here again if I return to Fes!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Hello,
Actually, I'm the customer who spent 15 days in this beautiful Riad.
We celebrate my birthday at end of stay.
All the staff were very caring for me. The service was impeccable. In this charming everyone is in listening to our requests. Our wish it’s command.
During these 15 days I bathed every afternoon. Every 2 days a dedicated person thoroughly clean the pool.
I am often traveling on business, for over 10 years I have stayed in great hotels Stars. And Riad Salam is to me an exceptional Hotel, where every place, every staff, each service, mean that you are more than a customer, but the true master of places.
Try it and you will love it.
Enjoy your stay at All.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

If asked to review the building by itself, I would give the place 5 stars, but fortunately I am asked to review my experience and my experience was bad.

The experience my wife and I had was very similar to that of Chicago60613.

Some comments:

1. I actually checked to see if our bed was made of stone because it felt like it was. My wife actually stuffed cushions under the bed sheets to prevent pain from the firmness.
2. One night we had to stand outside for 10-15minutes knocking until someone came to let us in at 9PM because the staff was having a dance party for one of their own birthdays and neglecting their very few guests.
3. We asked them to set us up with a local Unesco guide and they gave us this guide who was a scam artist who basically took advantage of us for an entire day.
4. When asked where they recommended for dining they said to eat in the hotel. When pressed on other places, they told us we looked tired and should just go to bed. When pressed further they told us that we'd probably get stomach aches from eating the local food.
5. The pool was dirty and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while.

When I travel, I view my hotel as my safe haven and their staff my team in making sure I have a good time. They have a concierge and staff typically for this purpose. I view my hotel as a sanctuary of safety. At Riad Salam Fes, I felt that they would take advantage of me at any turn. Though the Riad is beautiful, the people truly dictate the experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Gérant at Riad Salam Fes, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Customer,
Thank you for your comment.
In a Riad the service is personalized, the party we organized is for a client who had spent 15 days in the Riad and in the end of her stay she wanted to take Hana.
The bed of your suite was new and if you told us you have problem with it we will change the room for you.
For the pool it was very clean ( why you swam every day morning and night without saying anything ?).
Brugge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed 4 nights in the Laaroussa suite, a large and silent room close to the roof terrace. The colorful glass in the windows, the large door and the little doom gave this bridal suite a very romantic touch, even on our 'voyage de divorce' ;-) A spacious and firm bed, a colorful bathroom (bit smelly) and a small but good fridge contributed to our comfort.

The breakfast near the pool was ok, but lacked some variety after three days. We dined at the Riad Salam the first night and had an excellent meal... with a bottle of excellent wine we bought in a supermarket not far trom the airport and could enjoy it without 'droit de bouchon'.

Every evening we lingered on the roof terrace in the late April sun. Great place to have a sundowner with view on the roofs of Fes. Don't know why the other guests preferred the shadows near the pool beneath...

Riad Salam Fes is perfectly situated to visit the Medina and take a little red taxi to the new city, the railwaystation,... We only rented a guide once and it was a major rip off. 25 euro to be taken to places where the man could enjoy his finder's fee and -though we refused to pay- another extra 25 euro for the short roadtrip along the city walls. The guide was provided by... the hotel. That's the only drawback of the riad: all extra's (hammam, dining, ...) are charged at 'Western' rates with a super margin on the local prices. If like us (thanks Nathalie) you can get hold of a map of the Medina, go and discover yourself. Great fun! And whenever you get lost, there are plenty of people who are willing to show you the shop of their brother :-) Give them a small tip for showing on the map where you are and you get around the Medina at your own pace for.. 2,5 euro :-)

The staff is very helpful and seem to be working around the clock: cleaning rooms, carrying luggage, serving breakfast, taking care of the guests, even in the hammam... Don't forget to tip them because they are not payed a 'Western' wage..

In all, this riad is an excellent place to enjoy a fairy tale city. If you are on a tight budget, beware of the extra's. If not, enjoy all the luxuries of this great riad!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Salam Fes? Share your experiences!