“Lovely stay in Fes” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 168 Fes B&B and Inns
Prague, Czech Republic
“Lovely stay in Fes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

The hotel is quite difficult to find as it's located in the historical center of Fes, however on our arrival we rang the hotel and one of the staff came and picked us up at the taxi stop, wouldn't be able to find it otherwise. The staff was very helpful, answered all our questions about Fes, recommended a restaurant and organized a great trip to Meknes, Volubilis and Chefchaouen.
We enjoyed our stay there and would recommend to anyone who is looking for a good value place in the city center.
Only two small things that could be improved..
- the bathroom was bit damp as there was no shower curtain.
- great breakfast but I was little bit disappointed that they wouldn't serve it before 9am, not even when we asked them as we were leaving early that morning

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

This riad is well located close to all the main attraction of Fes. Not far from the Blue Gates, local shops and restaurants are always nearby with locals always happy help. What really appeals to me about the riad is the staff and lengths they would go to to make your stay a pleasant and memorable experience. Everything we asked for they accommodated and this was the main reason why I stayed here for the second time on my visit to Fes.

• Stayed July 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

We had a fantastic stay in Fes at Dar el Yasmine. The two Mohammed's are welcoming, helpful and hilarious. The breakfast here is delicious and there is plenty of it. The roof terrace is lovely and the perfect place to hear the call to prayer. The hostel provided other services such as washing, which was free! They also were great to book our Sahara Desert experience through. Highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2013
Aarhus, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The two Mohammeds are by far the best part of this hostel. They were very welcoming and we had mint teas and chat with them before going to our room. We got the deluxe ensuite room, the only one left on short notice, and it was alright. The room was huge, the beds were pretty hard (which seems normal for Morocco to be fair) and the bathroom was spacious but smelly and not that clean (seems common in Fez though). Compared to our other stays in Morocco it wasn't cheap, so we were mildly disappointed by the not-so-clean surroundings. Roof terrace was alright, nothing special, and was located right above our room. This meant every time someone was up there you could hear them pretty loudly, especially walking up and down the stairs. Overall, not terrible, especially not for younger travellers who don't expect a high level of cleanliness, but there are definitely better places to stay in Fez.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Decent place to stay. The breakfast was good, the owners were helpful. Only a couple of issues(as stated in other reviews). First being that the bathroom was very damp (no shower curtain either).

My bigger issue is that we felt pressured to take a "historical tour" of Fez from their friend/guide. This tour was ok, but we were taken all over the city to different stores and pressured to buy things. The pressure was very odd as an American, with people saying "Don't you want to help these poor artists?" and things of that nature. I bought something just to be left alone. When we wanted to end the tour early because it was pouring rain, the guide was not happy (probably because he wanted us to buy more crap).

Other than the tour, it was a pretty good experience.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Appealing place in the medina a few minutes walk from Bab El Jeloud. We arranged a well organised pick-up from the airport at a fair price and were greeted by friendly faces. Our room was quite big, on the 2nd floor with air-conditioning, the bathroom was just a little damp. Breakfast was good, served in the beautiful lobby. Overall extremely good value. Dar El Yasmine was a nice introduction to Moroccan hospitality.

PS to Katiu123, of course I don’t agree with the aggression you claim you experienced, but it’s quite unfair to book 2 riads knowing you’ll drop one at the last minute. They kept a room (their livelihood!) free for you. When we booked we were informed of their 24h cancellation policy so you should really have paid the first night in full. If lots of people thought it OK to act like you do, no-one would take reservations!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I were traveling through fes, and made reservations in two separate hostels. We decided we didn't want to stay at Yasmine because it was empty. We paid a deposit, but the owner (Muhammed) said he had to pay for the room even though we weren't staying there. He threatened to call the touristic police, which we agreed to, but he called his business partner instead. Who came up to us screaming, and started shoving my friend saying "the only way you'll get past me is if you kill me!", and "I'll break your face".
We were so appauled and pretty freaked out. I strongly recommend you do NOT stay here, it is DANGEROUS!
They held us there for two hours because we didn't agree to pay for a stay we weren't going to be there for. This type of situation is not common in morocco, but it is very scary. I can't say enough, do NOT stay here!!

• Stayed September 2013
darelyasmine, Manager at Dar el Yasmine, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Hi
as we Always Say in Dar el yasmine ,No is Perfect ,But sometimes when you try to help some people,they do the Oposit for you ,
The Guest she wrote this Comment ,she Doesn't have Reservation in Dar el yasmine ,In That Day we had a Reservation for 3 people ,they Came from chefchaouen (other city in Morocco) by taxi they call me to pick up them from the Parking near the Main Gate ,when i reach there i meet the Guest and she was with them in the same car ,and she Asked me if a Have Room Available ,a said ,No But the room they have it's big and Can fit all of you ,if they want ,when we reach they had a Tea ,i Give them the room ,they stay for few time ,she used the wifi and she contact her Hotel and shes said that she want to leave,Because sha already have a reservation in other place , ,and she will lose My deposit ,I said No Problem ,since she doesn't have a Booking in our place ,one of the 3 Guest He Said i want to Go with her ,i Told him you have Reservation ,and you Alread check you Need to pa,He Said i Don't Make the reservation it's Not by My name,My friends do it ,i Told him That he should be responsable ,
after a long Conversation ,i Let him go and i Didn't Charge Him anything(he Asked to Give me some money ,But i didn't Axcept ) ,I Told him that the problem not of Money ,But i want him to Be RESPONSABLE ,Because we as all the Accommodation we safer from the Reservation they Don't Show ,
Notice :
as I Already Said the Guest she wrote this Comment Doesn't Have Booking ,and when I was Talking with the Guest who have Reservation ,she Tried to Be Part in The conversation ,and I Asked her if i Can Talk Private with the Guest who have Reservation ,Since i Didn't Ask Her to pay anything ,and Of Course That's Make her Angry May be ,
Notice also that's the 2 Friends of the guest who left they stay in Dar el yasmine .
Anyway we Just try to Explain what's Happen Cause we don't want People to have a Wrong Idea About Us ,
You are all Welcome,in Dar el yasmine

Been to Dar el Yasmine? Share your experiences!