“Amazing place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Fes
Miami, Florida
“Amazing place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

The architecture of this place is simply breathtaking. Built in the early 19th century and since remodeled/restored, the attention to detail in everything from the giant carved wooden doors, and meticulous plaster ceilings to the old mosaic flooring is bound to surprise even the more refined traveler. What's more, the staff was absolutely fantastic helping to make our stay (honeymoon) in Ryad Alya amazing.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at Ryad Alya and loved it. The Rabat suite was perfect: tranquil and clean with exquisite furnishings. Mr. Hassan was so courteous and helpful. It met all of our expectations and more.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We had such an amazing time at Ryad Alya. Mr. Cohen and his staff really looked after us and made sure we had a great time in his unique city. The location was perfect for exploring the Medina and the ryad itself is stunningly beautiful. Make sure you request dinner on the rooftop at sunset. I would say that was probably the best meal i had in Morocco and the view to match. Mr. Cohen was very helpful and extremely honest in his recommendations, whether it be where to find a reputable carpet dealer or the closest hotel pool to cool off on a hot day. We will be back!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I recently returned from staying at the Ryad Alya for 8 nights. The location is close to the Place Batha, 5 minute walk to the Bab Boujloud and just outside the medina. I stayed in the Fes Suite, and beautiful two room suite with incredibly high ceilings, and canopy bed, and easy access right off the courtyard. Hassan, the manager, was communicative with me in the weeks leading up to my visit and was incredibly gracious and helpful upon my arrival and throughout my stay. Zouhir, his colleague, who was the overnight manager, took care of everything i needed as well, with warmth, kindness, and hospitality.

My luggage didn't arrive in Casablanca but Hassan kept after the airlines on my behalf.

I arrived at the Ryad, down a narrow alleyway off a main street, accessible only by walking, in the late afternoon. I was met by Hassan, who knew exactly who I was, was greeted with mint tea and cookies. There was no "check in" in the traditional sense. Just a warm welcome, like visiting someone's home.

A colleague in Fes took me out that evening to pick up some second hand clothing from the Boujloud Square "flea market." I ended up picking up 5 articles of clothing for 8 Euros. When I returned to the Ryad, Hassan saw my purchase and insisted that they wash, dry and fold the clothes for me. No charge.

My entire stay was this smooth. Hassan, and his colleague Zouhir, were the most wonderful hosts I have ever encountered. They did everything they said they would do, and more.

They arranged a day excursion into the Atlas mountains for me. I also enjoyed dinner there for three nights, which was delicious.

Breakfast on the rooftop is stunning. I enjoyed the Hammam and a massage as well. Being greeted back at the Ryad by Zouhir with cold lemonade after a long hot day in the medina with was quite a treat. I enjoyed a number of amazing dinners there, from pastille, to harare, to amazing tagines, and cakes galore.

In addition, they accommodated my erratic schedule with the Fes Festival by saving a meal for me around midnight each night. One night i brought back two guests and Zouhir brought out all the food they had for me and my guests. It certainly impressed them.

Anything i asked, they provided with grace and humor. Returning each day to this Ryad, one felt like returning home. As I returned each day, tired and spent, it was wonderful to be greeted by Hassan and Zouhir with a smile and graciousness one cannot find most anywhere else in the world.

I will be back, next time with my family.

Room Tip: I chose the Fes Suite, largely because it was the only one available. It was too large for a solo t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Cathlamet, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We were pampered and well taken care of in this, our home away from home, for eight nights during the Fez Sacred Music Festival in June. The charming Hassan and the entire staff filled our hearts with their happiness and I would recommend this Ryad to my closest family and friends. The rooms are very clean, the water is hot, the Masseuse was excellent, the food is perfectly prepared, and breakfast on the rooftop is a delight. We were always greeted with mint tea and cookies after long walks through the Medina. Amazing Dinners are available
upon request. We always felt comfortable, safe, and relaxed during our time spent here.
Ryad Alya is located very close to a turnaround where a taxi can let you off after visiting the outlying countryside. I would love to return to Fez and be a guest at Ryad Alya again.

Room Tip: Each room is unique. Tell them what you want.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

One of the most beautiful places I've stayed in. Rooms are unique and really beautifully decorated, the whole place is like a little peaceful oasis in the heart of the city! There's also a really nice roof terrace and absolutely amazing staff. Can't imagine a better place to stay in Fes!

Read more about Ryad Alya from my blog (in Finnish): http://secretwardrobe.bellablogit.fi/2013/07/22/pieni-paratiisi/

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Welcome to the ancient times. A beautiful mixture of modern amenities, luxury and history. The hotel is a serene oasis, filled with beautiful ornaments and brilliant service. Unfortunately both my partner and I fell ill during our stay, but the staff did anything they could to make us feel better, from bringing our meals to the room, offering medication and assistance and otherwise taking care of us. The hotel is right by the old town of Fes in a quiet neighborhood.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ryad Alya? Share your experiences!