“Fantastic Hosts - Favourite Restaurant Whilst Travelling” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 160 Restaurants in Fes
Cuisines: Organic, Moroccan
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Doing business, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Our kitchen is based on fresh 100% natural products , come to test the real morocan kitche . You are welcom to " Dar Hatim "
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hosts - Favourite Restaurant Whilst Travelling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is my first ever online restaurant review and is being written because I was so impressed with the extraordinary time my friend and I had at the restaurant. We were there in the past week (home now, sigh) and went both nights we stayed in Fes.

What makes this place really special are the hosts, Karima (I believe) and her husband. They made us feel so welcome in their home and were among the most charming people I've met. I actually wanted to live there and become part of the introduction Karima gives (you'll get this once you go). I thoroughly recommend it for its quality food, lovely rooftop view (ask them about this), and of course, the service.

Enjoy and spread the word.

• Visited November 2012

• Turkish first
Toronto
“Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Like many others who post about this restaurant, we came here with an Intrepid group and thought it was excellent. Even though it is on the edge of the Medina, it is still a little bit tucked away and I am not sure we would have found it had we been left to our own devices ... which would have been a shame as it is definitely a true hidden gem !

Much like other groups, we were told that the Pastilla was the specialty of the house and I think we all ordered it, partly because we were a bit "tagined out" and partly because we wanted to see if it actually measured up to what we had been told ..... it did !!!

We started with bread and olives, and then there was a mountain of Moroccan salad items. So many that I cant remember each individual dish, but have attached a couple of pictures to this review to show them. Our Server/Chef/Owner, Karima brought more out as we finished each small plate. I am not sure if there is a limit to what she will give you, but if there was, we didnt reach it.

Then it was time for the Pastilla. It was a good size, cooked to perfection, and absolutely wonderful on the tastebuds. (again, a picture is attached).

Apart from the food, we also enjoyed Karima's bubbly personality. She obviously takes great pride in her cooking and came out several times to check that all was to our liking. She exudes warmth and hospitality and is clearly happy to see others enjoying what she has lovingly prepared.

After our dinner we went upstairs to the rooftop and got some nice views over the Medina. Dont know if/when I might ever be back in Fes, but if I am, this is where I will eat !

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great atmosphere and food with a wonderful host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We were taken here as part of our Intrepid trip. It was an optional extra but we were all so glad we did it! The house is lovely, the food was delicious (we all had pastilla, we were told it is the speciality taught to Karima by her mother in law), and both Karima and her husband are great to ask questions and banter with. We all loved our whole evening with them. Highly recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Great Ambience in a hidden location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We were recommended to eat at this restaurant by our Riad.
She had made arrangements for the owner of the restaurant to come and pick us up to take us to the restaurant.
We were expecting it to be further than what it was and it turned out that it was literally a few steps away from the place we were staying at.
The owners were extremely friendly and the ambiance of the restaurant was great. We weren't sure what to expect before entering but were immediately impressed when we walked through the main door.
We had the traditional Moroccan salads which were bountiful and so tasty.
I chose the Bastilla which was the local specialty and I was so happy I did! The flavours of the dish were amazing and I'm still thinking about it!
My husband had the lamb and the coucous which were great.
We even had dessert and espressos which was a good touch.
The whole meal was very reasonable, I think it was around 20 euros each.
We were glad we got to experience this great family owned restaurant.

• Visited August 2012
scunthorpe
“disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

best part of experience, pickup and return to riad as dar hatim is not in the best area of the medina. ok to go to during the day. not recommended later at night. am not exactly a tourist although this was my first visit to fes. i have been to moroc many times. the restaurant was ok but the food for the price was not very good. i had steamed lamb which have had before elsewhere. no spices used until it came on the plate when i was told to add cumin and salt to add flavour, it didnt! fruit salad to finish...dont think so.. orange juice with a piece of peach 2 pieces of melon and a a slice of banana does not a fruit salad make. the couple who run it offer you a look round their home, not that we were given the opportunity!!!!!!!!!!!! personaly i would have prefered a better quality of food for my money as know can get better.

• Visited September 2012