“Fes Madness” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 176 Fes B&B and Inns
Penzance, United Kingdom
“Fes Madness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed here with a mate earlier this year whilst motorcycling around Morocco. It's clean, quiet (with the exception of the local Mosque but this is Morocco) , friendly and cheap very cheap also it's right on the edge of the Medina which is utter madness but great fun to. The family who run/own the Riad are very friendly and polite we had breakfast a few times with them and chatted, with Fatima, also mind the Tortoises around your feet they like cake and breads with honey. The rooms are beautiful and very comfortable typical of the type of property in the area i cannot recommend this place enough whether you're backpacking or family it's perfect and very relaxing.

Room Tip: You'll get whatever is available but that really doesn't matter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed two nights at this riad and really enjoyed staying here. the place is clean and the breakfast is lovely. there where two things which whe didn't like. the room was very hot (no fan or airco, but whe knew that in advance) and It's very close to a mosque. so be prepared to wake up at 5 am. but still its a good place!

• Stayed June 2012
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I stayed for one week in this riad, and it was a delight! The family and staff are very welcoming, patient and helpful. The riad is beautiful and well maintained. An inner courtyard that invites you to sit and relax in the calm and cool of the trees. Beautifully decorated rooms with large bathrooms. Fatima and her family were so kind and helpful and make you feel at home in their home! Breakfasts were very filling and always a time of conviviality. I would definitely recommend this wonderful riad!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in a small upper bedroom with private bath. We ate dinner both nights. Dinners are not included in the room price but they are well worth it. Traditional cuisine--we had a couscous dish one night and a tagine dish the other. Great meat, vegetables. All served at a leisurely pace by Fatima and her daughters. Breakfasts were wonderful with toasts, fruit, and a variety of homemade jams. Good coffee and always mint tea. This is very near bab Zyiat (one can take a taxi almost right to the door) and a 10 minute walk to Batha. French and Arabic speaking but Fatima's older daughter spoke enough English to communicate with us. This is not a hotel with room service, fresh daily towels, etc. So if you are looking for a pampered Western experience, one may want to stay in the new city. However, if you want to stay in the Medina and live with a warm and welcoming family, this is perfect. Look for the turtles/tortises living in the courtyard.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Pavia, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

The reiad is really nice!

We spent 3 night in the first floor bedroom, it wasnt superbig, but it was definitely nice, we had a rather big bathroom and a very confortable bed!
Everything was clean, included bedsheets and towels!

The family (remember: this is not a Hotel, but you are going to stay 'chez l'habitant'!!) was really nice, we were offered a tea at our arrival and we took our time helping out filling all the documents and forms needed. Our french wasnt perfect, but Lalla was helping us by speaking slowly :) They were also realy discreet, happy to engage conversations when we wanted to, smily and silent when we looked tired at night.

Breakfast is amazing, the lemon jam was special!

The riad is in a calm position (even though we had to admit we got 'lost' a couple of time.. but no worries, simply ask for bab Zyiat and anyone will help you out with a smile), about 10 minutes walk from Batha square!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Francais a Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

I am French but wish to share in English with all the Falk that want to have a great experience in Fes. We found Riad Lalla Fatima through an advice from a Riad in Marrakech. When we arrived we were a little bit worried because of the area of hold medina in Fes and around the Riad, but after the Riad door opened we felt great. Thanks to Fatima and her family we lived an authentic experience with a Moroccan family during our time in Fez. They even invite us to share with them a spectacle at GLOUI Palace of traditional Moroccan music and dances. The room was comfortable and bathroom clean, the food prepared by Fatima wonderful; we also received very good tips to discover Fes properly; everything mentioned above at a very reasonable price: 400 DH for double-bedroom and 150 for menu taking into account the quite expensive accommodation and restaurant offer in Fes. As a conclusion a very good address in Fes. Reading the last to comments about “full of flies” and “Plan B Hotel” I may suggest to people interested by Riad Lalla Fatima that this Riad is by logic not prepared to received more than 5 couple/family since there is only 5 room and there is trees in the patio so by nature you have flies. However you will have a very authentic experience in Fes inside a Moroccan family even if you stay short time (it was our case – only 3 days)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Andalucía
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

First of all, if you still want to book in this nasty place after reading the review, don't pay the rates they have in their website www.feschezlhabitant.com because you can find them much cheaper in www.ziyaratesfes.com/index.php?ziyarates=reservation. They are Family Sahni. But there are many other families on that website, if I were you I would book with other one.
Well, the first thing is that we booked a double room with private bathroom. But when we got there, the bathroom was outside the room. We had to go down very steep and narrow steps to get to the bathroom, which was not private, but used by everybody who wanted to use it.
One day, the toilet was dirty, with drops of pee, and I told the owner's son (I suppose he was his son), who apologied and cleaned it and assured me that that bathroom was only used by myself. A few hours later I heard the family using the bathroom again and I went to talk to them again. Then, their unfriendly daughter told me that I didn't have any private bathroom because no riad in Fez has private bathrooms. They used the bathroom whenever they wanted because it was theirs, but they allowed me to use it to have a shower if I wanted... This got on my nerves. I had made sure I booked a room ensuite, but she blamed the association I made the reservation with. I told her that on their website they say that all bedrooms have a bathroom, and she said that was not true, that I was lying (you can check both websites). I insisted that if they were going to use the bathroom, they could make sure, at least, that they didn't pee on the toilet where you have to sit, and she said that that was only water because somebody had washed something there... for God's sake, better not to ask what they wash inside the toilet...
They never cleaned the room, neither changed the towels or made our bed while we were there. Our room had 2 doors. The first day, when we arrived and left our things there we closed both of them, when we arrived we found one of them open. I wonder what they had been doing in my room.
The next day we found out that one of the doors was broken (it couldn't been opened) and we had to use the door that led to the stairs to the bathroom. The problem was that that door could only been lock from inside, and when we left through that door we had to leave it open.
It is not safe at all. Either you have to leave your door open because it is broken, or they go into your room anyway (and cleaning was for sure not the excuse...).
The room and the common areas were full of flies. Luckily we were there not in summer, because I guess it must be also full of mosquitos.
The family is not as friendly at all. The first and only thing the woman in the family told us was "money, please". I can understand that she doesn't speak English to have a conversation, but she could learn manners about how to ask things in a more polite way.
I would never ever stay there again and I cannot recommend it to anyone. This was my second time in Morocco and I had never had such a bad experience with a riad. I am used to travelling to arabic countries and nobody can tell me that you have to share YOUR bathroom with the family and everybody who wants to use it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple