“Amazing hosts and Riad!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dar Melody
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   18 Rue Laalouj Lakbira, Fes 99999, Morocco   |
Ranked #4 of 168 Fes B&B and Inns
El Dorado Hills, California
“Amazing hosts and Riad!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My husband and I booked this Riad through Tripadvisor reviews and so glad we did. We were so happy with our stay with Laurance & Bernard, they are such amazing hosts! We stayed 3 nights in June. Location is great and quiet. The Riad is beautifully restored and decorated. Splurge and stay in the Menzeh room on top floor, such a beautiful large room. Relaxing on the rooftop deck was nice. Breakfast was the best we had in all our stay in Morocco. Delicously cooked scrambled eggs, homemade pastries and crepes, fresh fruit. Laurence and Bernard definely make the experience so wonderful with their hospitality in their beautiful home.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stayed in Dar Melody for three nights and we really enjoyed it. The room was very nice and they have paid attention to the details such as free water bottles, different types of soap etc. Breakfast was magnificent both in quality and quantity. We really liked Laurence's orange jam and she even gave us some to take with us! The hosts gave us a lot of good advice and they also arranged the taxi to/from the airport as well as a guide for the medina. The location may not be very close to the restaurants etc but taxis are very cheap (1-2 Euros) and is not far to walk also.
We really recommend this dar if you want to stay inside Fez medina.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Cape Breton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I can’t understand all of the hype surrounding this riad! Although the main points of the riad are nicely restored, there are other riads at roughly the same price which have done a far more impressive restoration and with better service. I had reserved 3 nights at Dar Melody months in advance. When I arrived unexpectedly a day early in Fez due to illness, I hoped to find a room at Dar Melody free for us and for our desert-tour driver, who had made a long journey to help us, and we were going to cover his room cost. There wasn’t enough room at Dar Melody for him, and so we booked a room for all of us elsewhere that night, at the far nicer Dar Seffarine. (After staying there, we sure regretted my choice of Dar Melody!). When we arrived at the Dar Melody the next day, for our scheduled 3 nights, I noticed that Laurence was quite rude and taunting with the Fez porter who brought our luggage from Dar Seffarine. Seemed like imperious “French colonial attitude” to me.

With respect to the riad itself, the main problem from our point of view, was that it was like living in someone’s house all of the time. The TV is on all-day long and into the evening in what is, more or less, Bernard and Laurence's living room, and we didn’t feel that comfortable hanging out in the main room, which has a lounger, but not many comfortable areas for a “common space” outside the bedrooms. Since we didn’t seem fluent in French, Bernard didn’t bother with us more than in a perfunctory way. It was basically “hello” and then in to the TV. Laurent was helpful, and takes pride in her breakfasts, which again were good, but not quite as amazing as everyone makes out- wet scrambled eggs each day etc., certainly not the same calibre as the other riad. The room was OK, with tacky touches, again quite a bit below what we had just experienced elsewhere. To be honest, we just wanted to put in our time there and get out! The wifi in the rooms is so-so, but available in the common space of the riad, although I preferred not to hang out there too much, with the TV going all of the time in the adjoining room.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
quimitou, Propriétaire at Dar Melody, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
I am very surprised , of course your comment.
You reproach us not to make available 2 bedrooms, then you get a day ahead ...... and you had reserved a room for the next day . (And you want a free room for the driver)
that day, we were full ............

it is true that we would have expected your early arrival ....... and the fact that you are sick ......

We usually receive our guests with courtesy,
and we put them all the time you want.

It is true that I, bernard, I do not speak very much English, but Laurence is doing very well , and always listening ......

as a television, it is located in a small room , which bother anyone , and we present 24 hours 24 .......

and you have a very large place in the patio or on the terrace .
and the wifi works parfaitement.dans your room .....

I think the fact that your illness has disrupted your analysis of the house, breakfast , decoration , finally your stay.

I regret of course ..........

hoping ... that you keep Malge all, good memories of the city of fes ...

with respect

laurence and bernard
St. Paul Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Laurence and Bernard were wonderful hosts during our 3 night stay in March. Dar Melody is beautifully restored and decorated. I loved looking at the ancient doors and windows. Breakfasts were varied and delicious. Laurence has a real sense of style and the table was set differently every morning. Bernard made crepes for our son each morning when he realized how much he liked them. Our blue room was spacious and lovely. The terrace was one of my favorite spots as you overlook the city and get a sense of the exotic character of the Fes medina.
Jake said to give you a high rating.
Merci, Laurence et Bernard.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed at Dar Melody last week, and had a lovely time. Laurence and Bernard were very kind, and made us feel at home - they did whatever they could to accommodate us. The riad was great, we stayed in the room at the very top, the Menzah Room. It was very big, and decorated beautifully. We also took advantage of the terrace on the rooftop, which was great to relax in the sun. The riad is really beautiful, and it is clear that Laurence and Bernard take a lot of pride in it. We enjoyed breakfast there as well, and exploring Fez during the day. The location of Dar Melody was also very good, not too far from all of the sights. Thank you Laurence and Bernard, for making Fez such a lovely holiday for us and for being such good hosts.

Room Tip: The Menzah room was beautiful!!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We travel a lot, on many continents, and I would rank this little gem in the top 5 places I have stayed. Very well priced, excellent breakfast, very creative and thoughtful, and hosts Bernard and Laurence were always looking out for us and offering their help. I would also add it is a little hard to find and they came to meet us at the taxi. You have to walk about 5-10 minutes from there and it would be almost impossible to find if you did not have an escort! Even a map is insufficient if you are not familiar...
It was very easy to book the room using email, they are prompt and did not mind my high school French!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

The medina of Fes is a labyrinth, a maze, a hectic, vibrant bazaar. In such an environment, the ideal lair for a traveller, is a refuge, an oasis, right in the thick of the action. A launching pad for adventures and a home away from home when your feet and eyes and mind are weary, to find solace, relaxation, comfort and a much needed solid slumber.

After our gruelling coach trip from Merzouga, during which sleep proved impossible due to a dangerously sick native, retching and vomiting constantly for 10 hours, clearly in need of medical attention...and the heat from our jaunt in the Sahara, still throbbing in my bones, we arrived in Fes in darkness, an ungodly hour, at the central train station.

I was so damn happy to be off off off the bus that it seemed wonderful enough to merely be placing my anxious paws on terra firma. Words had been sent by email to Lawrence and Bernard regarding our arrival.

My hopes are rarely placed confidently in strangers, so after realizing we had arrived rather early, booking our outward train tickets to Tangiers at the station, my elation faded and I began to lose faith...but out of the darkness appeared a car, as described in our correspondence with the Dar Melody owners, and Bernard was quickly flagged down. Salvation in a Bernard!

Sincerely, Morocco can seem often like stepping into another realm, where everyone and anyone is trying to prise gold nuggets from your wallet. You become wary and weary...and suspicious.

So imagine the scene...haggard, happy, then worried, Bernard appears. His english wasn't great but his body language was accommodating in every measure. I tried to speak french, which at first he appreciated, but soon realized I could go, only so far. For no extra fee, Bernard drove to meet us at a horridly early hour, and proved amiable and jovial!!

Arriving at Dar Melody, we found ourselves tardis-esque heading through an ancient door into what seemed like a palace. Lawrence brought us tea, english and coffee. The two of them came across as warm and wonderful hosts.

Our room was fit for visiting dignitaries, four poster bed, gorgeous décor, soaps and aromatic delights aplenty in the bathroom, looking out onto a wonderful terrace, where we were mightily happy to relax, play scrabble and enjoy a great view of the surrounds after a hard day of fighting our way through the souk.

Lawrence kindly organized a guide for a reasonable fee, who gave his best, took us to the best sights, and was clearly well known to the locals. A good price for a good day...I just wish I had asked him to lead us home when the tour had finished (he DID offer!), for my confidence in our whereabouts quickly sunk to unease, soon after parting! Two hours later, after haggling, just to pass the time and take something useful from walking around the same part of the maze for the umpteenth time, we were home in our sanctuary.

Breakfast was sumptuous, help was at hand whenever we desired it and overall, I must say, that Dar Melody, thanks to the beautiful building and top class hospitality, was one of the most comfortable places where we stayed during our four months of travelling.

The position is perfect. The hospitality supreme and very hard to match. The accommodation is plush and perfect. The price is a steal...

Overall, I would heartily recommend Dar Melody.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar Melody? Share your experiences!