“Wonderful place to stay in Fez” 5 of 5 stars

27 Zqaq El Mae, Fes 30000, Morocco   |
Affiliate website
Ranked #15 of 168 Fes B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Wonderful place to stay in Fez”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I spent four nights at the beautifully renovated Dar el Ma in November with two of my friends. From the first moment I walked in I could tell this was a special place, a quiet oasis in the heart of the medina. It is very spacious and the light within is gorgeous both during the day and in the evening. There are many nooks to discover in this home, I especially liked the loft spaces in the various rooms and I especially loved the shower room. It was a little too cold to fully enjoy the rooftop terrace at that time of year but I enjoyed the sights and sounds from up there. Houda was very sweet and her breakfasts were wonderful and a nice addition to our stay. I hope someday to be able to return to Fez and come back to stay at Dar el Ma, I highly recommend a stay here. Thank you for sharing your home in Fez with the travelers of the world!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed at Dar El Ma with my 2 daughters the last week of November. The place truly is stunning. As first time visitors to Fes I was a little nervous about making the connection to be shown to Dar El Ma but Joe kindly texted me back and forth and in the end it all worked out as Joe said it would.
We enjoyed two lovely moon lit nights on the roof top terrace talking and listening to the sounds of the medina.
If you want to stay in a beautiful Dar and experience the wonderful world of the Fes medina this is the place for you.
Houda provided the best breakfast of any we had in our travels around Morocco.
I would recommend it to anyone and am already planning my return. Two days was not nearly enough.

Room Tip: Both room are great.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We spent our honeymoon in Morocco in September 2009. Our trip started in Fes at Dar el Ma - and we absolutely loved it!! We arrived at the Riad very late in the evening, after a crazy taxi ride and our first adventure through the maze of the Medina. The Riad was exactly as we pictured it, which was a relief after our long journey from Australia! It is a beautiful, traditional guesthouse and we loved that there were only two guest rooms. It made our stay feel very private, personal and homely. Houda was absolutely wonderful - a true gem!! I am gluten free and Houda made me a beautiful breakfast every morning and nothing was too much trouble - she really made our stay so comfortable and memorable! It was fabulous being in the heart of the Medina and the view from the roof top terrace was amazing. We would love to return to Fes and Dar el Ma one day - we have memories to treasure!! We would highly recommend a visit!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We had a lovely stay at Dar el Ma. Joe and Claire had someone come pick us up at the entrance to the medina, warmly welcome us with some delicious mint tea, and show us to Dar el Ma. Dar el Ma has been meticulously remodeled and is an absolutely stunning place to spend your time in Fes. Not only is it located in the heart of the medina, but it is a quiet retreat when things get a little rushed. We enjoyed breakfast with Houda and spending evenings on the terrace gazing and the stars and the city all around us. We will definitely return if we ever make it back to Fes (and we hope we will!).

Room Tip: There are two rooms at Dar el Ma, both are well-sized and have heating and A/C.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The place is beatiful. Dar el Ma has it all: a great location, comfort & privacy, great service & hospitality. Houda will take care of you. She's a great cook and henna artist. We really enjoyed the time we've spent together. Dar el Ma was definitely the best experience we had during our trip.

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms so you will have a lot of space and privacy
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bodrum City, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had a fantastic 4 night stay in Claire&Joe's place. We actualy dont meet them, but Houda who cares about us was very helpful and the most imported thing was that she speaks very good english. The location of the place is very good and also the riad is very clean. We could use everything, so that we also cooked by ourselfes :) The terrace with a wonderful view of Fez is very comfortable to relax and have a mint tea :) Its like all the riad is full with little surprises... like the shower room :) We felt like home... and all the place is decorated with such lovely things, that we just spent our evenings at the riad. defenetly recommend this place

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My friend and I loved staying at Dar El Ma so very much! It was such a nice retreat from the busy souks of Fes & a great place to call home after long days spent exploring! Houda was such a wonderful cook and was so pleasant to talk to! She spent many hours talking with us on the beautiful roof and I have nothing but fond memories of my time spent in Fes and at the Dar El Ma!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Dar el Ma? Share your experiences!