“Exceptional.” 5 of 5 stars

Summer Special
Ranked #21 of 92 Hotels in Fes
“Exceptional.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is a beautifully restored riad that is run to perfection whilst still maintaining individuality and charm. The rooms are beautifully decorated in an authentic morroccan style but with your every creature comfort taken care of. The food was excellent, being heavily focused on what's in season, fresh and of good quality. There is a real focus on healthy and balanced living which is reflected in some beautiful herbal teas and homemade nibbles that are served on a stunning terrace which over looks the city. Kleo and her staff could not have been more helpful and we really valued their knowledge, suggestions and the effort that they put into our stay being so enjoyable. My experience of fes is that it is a vibrant, fun and chaotic assault on the senses and this riad is the perfect sanctuary to unwind in and help you appreciate the best of the city.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I would have loved to have given Dar Attajalli as effusive a review as some of these others, and that did look quite likely at first. Ultimately, however, I came away feeling more negative than I’d hoped.

The mauve room was very quiet and nice, the house is lovely and in a good location in the medina, the staff were great, and transfers from the train station and to the airport were hassle-free (including at 3.30 am, which I really appreciated). The owner also provided a pretty clear map of the medina, was helpful when it came to directions to various places, and arranged a very good guide for my first day.

I chose Dar Attajalli because I’m vegetarian and thought this might be a problem in Morocco (plenty of vegetables but the concept of vegetarianism per se a bit trickier). The dinners were lovely, but I wasn’t told how much they would cost and, my bad, I didn’t think to ask, assuming it wouldn’t be too much. But at US$30 per meal it really was, adding $120 to my bill. During a subsequent email exchange the owner apologized that she’d forgotten to tell me the price.

I would still recommend Dar Attajalli, but would also recommend making sure you get all extra costs upfront, including for dinners, guides, etc.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Attajalli, Owner at Dar Attajalli, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear guest

We were sorry to hear your disappointment as whilst staying here you kept saying how you felt like a princess. You also thanked us profusely for our generosity, for including you in social gatherings like art openings and dinners with friends, and making exceptions for solo in-house dining as you were a single traveller who didn't feel comfortable walking in the medina alone at night. We were happy to do all this for you.

Guests often say that our dinners are a highlight of their stay. They are lovingly prepared freshly to order and are a generous four course / 8 plate feast, well priced for the high quality.
There are no "hidden" costs at Dar Attajalli, that is not our philosophy. As you had booked dinner by email before even confirming the room, we didn't send a further email with costs for dinner and we indeed apologize that this got forgotten.
We are very sorry though that we not fully understand your complaint as on the first night of your arrival you were told the total price of the room and dinner. This included the special discount we were offering you as a single traveller. You then chose to eat in-house several nights after knowing this price. But maybe indeed we should have reminded you and repeat the price before every dinner. Thank you for pointing out that this might be necessary.

We still hope that the nice memories will prevail…
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I would call Dar Attajalli more of a B&B than a hotel. It's small, comfortable and feels like you are staying at a friend's place. The food is great and the owner is not only a fantastic person but really talks you through your stay in Fez. It's really nice to have advice on where to shop and what to do in this overwhelming city. I think she really helped us get the most out of our two day stay. If I ever go back to Fez I will be staying here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Stayed for two nights here and was so thankful we did. The food was fantastic and this place is strongly advised for all foodies, vegetarians and vegans - had the best vegan meal I have had in years (though a meat eater myself, I eat and cook a lot of veg food as many of my friends are veg, I also work in a higher end wine bar and restaurant in Washington, DC). The riad (well to do traditional Moroccan home) is stunningly restored with every detail attended to. The staff are sweet and caring and help you navigate the medina and take time with you to answer your questions. This place was the most expensive we stayed in but well worth it. We also pre- reserved a dinner here. If u are going to Fez, don't miss this place and ordering dinner is well worth the additional expense.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
South Hero, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I had the most wonderful stay in FEZ and I really believe it was because of my stay here and Kleo. She sat me down with a map and tea on arrival and gave me the lay of the land. Because of this, I never felt lost and felt completely safe my whole time in Fez and as a single woman this says A LOT. I always knew where home was.
This Dar is a little bit of heaven, from the incredibly delicious breakfast with fruit soup/salad each morning to the organic soft cheeses and prepared egg. Every detail was accounted for and I never had a better breakfast in all my 3 weeks of travel in Morocco. I loved this place so much and hope to bring my wellness retreats here year after coming year.
A rug was laid out and yoga mat provided for my morning practice, my bed was made and bathroom taken care each day when I arrived back to my princess suite, and I was able to practice how use the beauty products used by Moroccan woman with the staples found in my bathroom in beautiful little ceramic treasure holders. Everything a hard traveling woman could ask for. It was a perfect stay. I can't wait to come back SOON! Thank you!!

Room Tip: Book the ORANGE room, its worth the upgrade :).
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Attajalli, Owner at Dar Attajalli, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Shosh
Thank you very much for your heart-warming words! It was a pleasure for us to have you as a guest at Dar Attajalli. And - oh yes, please, wonderful! - bring your wellness retreats along. We are already looking forward to having you back SOON.
Kleo
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Dar Attajalli is Amazing! In the heart of the Medina of Fes, once you walk in it is tranquil and peaceful. Attention to every detail has been done to perfection. The decor is exceptional..
The fresh organic food amazing and the views from the upper terrace spectacular.
Madame Kleo the owner is knowledgable,helpful and has truly made Dar Attjalli into a very special retreat…We loved our stay and actually it was the most lovely place we stayed in our entire journey throughout Morocco…I would definitely stay here again when in Fes.

Room Tip: Any room you choose will be wonderful..It is actually hard to choose as they all are lovely.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Attajalli, Owner at Dar Attajalli, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Carolina
Thank you so much for your kind words!
It is a great pleasure to hear that Dar Attajalli was the most lovely place you stayed during your trip in Morocco. For us it was a pleasure meeting you lovely ladies.
Kleo
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

A small dar with lots of attention to details, beautiful rooms, fresh food for breakfast and also if you ask for lunch or dinner. A really quiet place, although it is located in the middle of the Medina of Fes. Friendly stuff taking care of all your needs and wishes. This was already my second visit and I would go there again, for sure!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends