“Rudest hotel staff I have ever encountered!” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Transatlantique
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   79, rue Chaouia (ex Colbert), Casablanca 2000, Morocco   |
Ranked #63 of 69 Hotels in Casablanca
Port Macquarie, Australia
“Rudest hotel staff I have ever encountered!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

The foyer is quite charming, a bit like something out of an Arabian Nights movie, but there the charm definitely ends. The staff member on hand looked as us disdainfully when we arrived. We said "hi." He said "passports." When we enquired afterwards as to when our passports would be returned we were told "later." The room was ok but the bathroom was decrepit, dirty and the shower rose fell off as soon as I turned on the water. We had very little sleep - the nightclubs nearby were doing a roaring trade. All encounters with staff were negative - they were just so monosyllabic and rude, despite our initial efforts to engage. Think they prefer the big bus tours really. A very negative experience, especially since it was our last day in Morocco. Hope this helps.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
mississippi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

Only stay here if you're on a budget and you don't want down-time between activities. The main decor and setting are like something out of an old movie and what might come to mind when you think of Casablanca, but the great old style ends when you leave the first floor. Our room was uncomfortably furnished with shabby, dingy linens, and the bathroom seemed dirty, but that might have been the age of the facilities showing. There's no safe in the room, but there's a mini-fridge with no menu listing prices for drinks and snacks (which are ridiculous when it comes time to pay the bill). There is a computer with internet available for guests which creaks along. I recommend skipping the restaurant altogether. Lastly, hotel employees are slow to respond and must be prodded into being helpful. I've stayed in cleaner, more inviting hostels.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

I was put off by reading all the bad reviews of this hotel before I left home, but after staying at Hotel Transatlantique, I found it to be at least a three star hotel. Rooms were fine, staff was very polite and accommodating, had free internet, and it was quiet except I agree with the reviewers who said to stay away from the night club area - that was noisy.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

Perfect location, interesting hotel for this price (50 EUR)

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cary, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

After reading assorted reviews I would not have chosen to stay at this hotel, but the tour I was joining picked it. It was, alas, as bad as I had feared. The public rooms are lovely, you should stop by and take a look, but DON’T plan to spend the night.

If you do have to stay, try to insist on a room on a high floor - the noise from the night club is really bad - pounding bass. Also, you WILL get bitten. I didn’t quite believe the reports of biting insects (which I encountered nowhere else in Morocco), but after I woke up with itchy bites I quickly became a believer. I dug my silk sleep sack out of my luggage, and that defeated them.

The front desk staff try to work a scam on solo tour group travelers. When I checked in in the morning, they took forever to find the tour paperwork, and then chose to put me in a single room. When I came back to the hotel for the evening group meeting I found a notice telling me I needed to move into a double room with my assigned roommate. Turned out I could stay in the single room they had assigned me - provided I paid 290 dirhams! I heard later that this is a common practice.

The single room was small and dingy. The French windows to the balcony didn’t open. The shower would have gotten the toilet wet. The room had no toilet paper, and getting some turned into a major exercise . The first double room had lights, but you couldn’t turn them on from the door. The second double was actually a suite, but there were no lights, working or otherwise, in the second room. The bathroom with this room did have plenty of hot water.

Breakfast was disappointing - watered orange juice, so-so coffee and pre-packaged cheese.

If you do stay here you will probably have to be able to give your taxi driver directions. If you come by train, IGNORE the taxi touts and the taxis just outside the station - walk out to the main street.

Casablanca seems to have serious shortage of reasonable hotels, and of worthwhile tourist sights. I would recommend staying in Rabat, where the hotel situation is somewhat better, and day-tripping to Casa. There are frequent, comfortable, trains from Rabat Ville station (currently being renovated, but still navigable) and Casa Port.

• Liked — Public rooms and location
  • Disliked — Everything else, but especially noise and biting insects
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
zimbabwe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

I just wanted to say one ting, this is the worse hotel ever!!! The room was not clean at all it has a bad smell, If you are in a mood for trowing up go to the room of that stinky hotel,

My whole body is under the musketo bites or other animal bites it is so bad, When I arrived home I dirrectly went to the hospital.

You can not sleep because of their night club.
The peeple who are walking are so rude,
The elivator is to scary if you want to live, you must take the stairs.(for you're own sake )!!!!

We had everyting paid incluided with breakfast, when we want to go take a breakfast the person who is working was yelling at us because he was in an not good mood.
But I understand who is working in that hotel cant be happy at all.
One thing!!!

Don't you ever go to that hotel, go to hotel KENZI BASMA thats million times better and clean.

I Hope that the peeple who are reading this take this must seriously.

Greetz

• Liked — Muskitos they were nicer than the working peeple of the hotel
  • Disliked — Everything, The freaky men by the door with the white cape, I dont no wat his funtion is but he doest say hello nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

We booked a room by a website and it was ok, except we got it at the second floor directly over a night club. If I hadn't had ear plugs I couldn't have got asleep.
My parents booked their room by contacting the hotel reservation service directly. By phone they were told that that they were to pay 45 Euro per night. But when they came they were announced a price of 120 Euro. After some unpleasant debate they arranged to pay 60 Euro. They got a rather big and very quite room though.
The breakfast served there was the worst one I've ever had in a hotel.

• Liked — old building (~1922)
  • Disliked — nightclub
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)