“Very comfortable; some service issues, but OK.” 4 of 5 stars

Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue Sidi Belyout, Casablanca 20000, Morocco   |
Ranked #1 of 68 Hotels in Casablanca
Melbourne, Australia
“Very comfortable; some service issues, but OK.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

i stayed for 2 single nights in a 'luxury' room separated by a week. Experiences were much the same.

A great welcome both times - from the doorman, the floor staff and the receptionists. Especially the doorman! Tea and biscuits offered while checking in.

The luxury rooms are on the upper levels and the view is terrific - right over the Medina, grand mosque and the Atlantic. Worth paying some extra for.

Room well appointed and comfortable. A window can be opened to let fresh air in. Bathroom with 'rain' shower. One room I had had a bath, the other didn't. aircon was a bit weak, but did the job.

The bar is quite funky and I was deterred from using it as I am, er, 'of an age' where I dress casually and like a quiet drink. Not possible here - the music is loud and atmosphere very busy. Its a shame they can't accommodate the non-glamerous who simply would like a drink.

I ate both times in the 'Arabesque' restaurant (French/western cuisine, I think; the other being a Moroccan specialty one). The meals both times were deliceous. However also both times, and at one of the breakfasts, minor issues arose because of my lack of French language. Some of the staff could not communicate with me. I know this is an Arab/French speaking country but its also an international hotel and I would expect basic English to be available. Even more puzzeling was when it was obvious (I hope!) that I was an 'Anglo', non English speaking staff continued to serve me.

More of an issue was the absence of a 'non smoking' area in the restaurant. I respect local customs, but this is a pretty basic thing for an international hotel. Every meal I had to move because of smokers near me. Even when I learned to ask for a non-smoking area, a smoker would usually be seated next to me later.

Minor warning; the hotel is on the 'far side' of a very congested traffic area by the Medina if you are going to/from the airport. Allow extra time, even for Casablanca.

Overall, good experiences and I'd probably come back. I hope they can look after non-smoking anglos a bit better though.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

After being very disappointed by the Hyatt during my last stay I did not expect great things from the Sofitel either - and was very pleasantly surprised.
My 11th floor room was not large but very well appointed. The contemporary design features are not gimmicks but very functional, turning my room into a very livable space.
My bed did seem to have a mattress issue but with a short stay only I did not explore or report this.
Extremely friendly staff, excellent restaurant with knowledgeable and helpful staff, firendly bar.
Stay here to regenerate after and between meetings.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had an excellent stay at Sofitel in Casablanca. The hotel is brilliant, rooms very comfortable and with with one of the best Spa I have been to. Samira who work as a masseuse gave a fantastic relaxing massage Ayoub and Ibtissam from the reception staff really went out of their way to assist. The service was exceptional, The concierge were always helpful.
Overall I had a very enjoyable stay and will be back soon.

Murtaza

Room Tip: Have to visit the Spa at the hotel and the indoor pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New Fairfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I'm impressed. I've been on business trips, family vacations & romantic vacations but until I stayed here, I hadn't come across a hotel line that could pull all three off with true success at the same time. Usually hotels are centered around business stays or family vacationers, but the Sofitel in Casablanca is beautiful, quiet, in a perfect location for business and travel in & around Casablanca & the staff are very professional.
I traveled with my 23 month old & husband. We arrived at the hotel from the airport in Casablanca via taxi (strongly recommended- 300 drm is what you should pay). It takes about an hour and 15 mins during rush hour to get to the hotel from the airport. We stayed the night and took the train to Marrakesh early the next morning. The hotel is about a 7 minute drive from the train station that takes you to Marrakesh. Taking the train to Marrakesh is also strongly recommended. The concierge provided us with a train schedule, we picked out what time we wanted to leave, he got our tickets in advance & the fee was only 10 drm. Having never traveled south of Spain, I was so appreciative that the Sofitel concierge offered this service & got us such wonderful seats too. I think it was 150 drm per seat & we were seated in a first class cabin. What a relief!... considering I don't speak French or Arabic, had no idea where to go to get the tickets & was still exhausted & jet-lagged from the long trip.
The medina is only a few blocks away. There's a small grocery store right around the corner from the Sofitel entrance where you can get waters, yogurt, snacks & toiletries. There is an ATM right around the corner as well as a cozy little local cafe that is beautifully decorated.
The port is easily visible from the rooms facing the port and ocean. The rooms facing the Hassan Palace do indeed give you a perfect, unobstructed view of the palace & the city before it.- the ocean too. The rooms are large, spacious, can fit a child bed & your dine in service. The bathrooms have a separate deep soaking tub & shower. Noise- the windows have to be triple pained to silence the noise from outside. It's a loud city especially during the calls to prayer. You can still hear that a little bit through the glass, but I have stayed in other hotels where it sounded like the megaphone was right outside the window- so while I woke up to the sound, I fell right back to sleep almost immediately. The pool is warm & large enough to do some laps & relax.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Let's be honest - you come to Casablanca on business and not pleasure, so if you have to then stay here. Lovely hotel and incredibly good staff. Polite but not in your face. Highlight of the trip was finding the time to go to the Spa. Great treatments - ask for Omar - professional and really nice guy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Heidelberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche for four nights from 12/28 2012 through 1/1 2013. Our stay at the hotel was very pleasant, and we recommend this hotel for your stay in Casablanca.

The hotel lobby was very clean and chic. The door and check-in service was efficient and friendly. Everyone spoke functional English, or immediately called someone who did. Of course if you speak French, it will help; but we didn't need it. We were immediately offered mint tea and snacks when we walked in. They had problems finding our reservations, but eventually did and upgraded us to a nicer room for our trouble.

The room was very spacious and modern. The bathroom was large with two sinks. They provided plenty of amenities, including shampoo, soap, robes and hair-dryer. The walk-in shower had both a large, rain-type shower head and a hand-held attachment. There was lots of closet space to hang clothes and store our luggage. The room safe was large enough for our computer and SLR camera. The room had a flat-screen television with multiple channels in all the major languages. Very comfortable bed. The view of the Hassan II mosque and ocean was very nice. Only problem: coffee maker was broken. Our friends in the next room had the same problem too.

The spa was very nice. My wife got a massage and was satisfied. We swam in the indoor pool. They had a dressing/shower room with robes, slippers, and towels.

We ate at the restaurant and utilized the lounge several times. The hotel had two separate restaurant themes; one with Middle-Eastern cuisine, and the other French/continental. Both were satisfactory. We ate a fixed-menu for New Year's Eve celebration which was very tasty. The wine menu was decent. We chose a locally vinted red wine which was exceptional and inexpensive. The best part of our meals was the service. Anas was a wonderful waiter - very attentive and knowledgeable - however, every staff member who contacted us was polite, professional, and caring. Thank you!!

We utilized the concierge services. I am remiss because I forgot the lady's name who took care of us (she recently arrived from France and wasn't the head concierge). She purchased us train tickets to Marrakech. She went outside with us and walked with us for a while to personally ensure we knew how to get to the train station near the hotel. She made very good recommendations for a restaurant, and made us reservations. Thank you for your assistance - wonderful job.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The staff was fantastic in all regards. We will stay there again when we return to Casablanca.

Room Tip: High room with view of the Hassan II mosque.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofitel Casablanca Tour Blanche? Share your experiences!