“Okay place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Moroccan House Hotel Casablanca

Save Saved
You added Moroccan House Hotel Casablanca to your Saves list
Moroccan House Hotel Casablanca
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3, Rue Mohamed SMIHA | Cote Avenue des FAR, Centre-Ville, Casablanca, Morocco   |
Ranked #29 of 67 hotels in Casablanca
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Okay place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The pros: It is less than 20 dhm from the Casablanca train station. Walkable probably if you know the way. Clean and rooms are quiet. Good breakfast--most varied I had in Morocco. Easy walk to medina, etc. (Non desk) staff is friendly and helpful. You are given mint tea upon arrival.
Cons: Didn't seem particularly eager to help travelers. Charge for city map. The shower enclosure leaked terribly so that the floor was drenched. I thought I was closing it properly at first, but that wasn't the problem. Felt bad for cleaning staff.
I had hoped the lobby would have literature for city tours, etc., but none of that. None in other hotels in Morocco either, so perhaps just not done there.

In sum: Nothing terribly wrong, a number of pluses, but just not positively memorable.

Room Tip: Get a room not facing the front street. The hotel has a spa but I did not use it, owing to time con...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

268 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Turkish first
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Hotel is very beautiful. Excellent breakfast selection. Probably the best hotel during my whole stay in Morocco.

I do agree with another person who said that they take passport. They should not do that. I was able to get it back fast. I don't allow anyone to take my passport and nor should anyone. If enough people complain, perhaps they can buy a $20 scanner to scan passports...

Beautiful rooms!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Moroccan House H, General Manager at Moroccan House Hotel Casablanca, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest ,
On Behalf Moroccan House Hotel team, we are really grateful for your valuable comments : our objective is to make the customer feel like a real guest in a real Morccan House .
Moroccan ministry of tourism makes the hotels take passport in order to make the administrative procedures when hosting any new client : we apologize for the inconvenience you met at that point.
Cardiff
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

CONTEXT
My first visit to Morocco. An introductory tour of Moroccan cities by train and bus. Stayed at a Riad in Marrakech to begin with, am staying in a four star in Agadir at the end for three nights, and in between have stayed at low-price hotels, such as the Morocco House Hotel in Casablanca. I have booked a night in advance as I travel, which has often limited availability and choice. I stayed here in early January and paid 49 euros for the night.

PROS
Fairly good location next to major boulevards and easy walking distance of city centre and Medina.

Mint tea and cakes on arrival.

Few minutes walk from bus station and Casa Port train station is a little further on. It is about five to ten minutes by taxi from Casa Voyageurs train station.

Free Wifi throughout hotel (see CONS).

CONS
Reception asked for my passport upon arrival and would not return it until I had paid, suggesting that I pay there and then (the international norm being to return the passport as soon as possible, normally after details have been jotted down in front of the guest or at latest when the guest leaves the hotel after arrival). I encounter this practise very little on my travels, but when I do it tends to make me distrust the establishment (since they are distrusting me in retaining my passport until payment is made). Since I had an early departure the next morning, I paid the night before: something I am usually loathe to do. Whenever this has happened to me before, I have complained and changed hotels. Since I am here for just one night, I complained to the hotel and will comment via this Tripadvisor review.
The staff member with whom I dealt made suggested two or three times that I pay in cash in Dirhams. To suggest a given payment to a guest when no such enquiry has been made is quite simply unprofessional, and it is clear that the hotel has a policy of attempting to persuade guests to pay in local currency for their own benefit, and that of guests.

Free WIFI in room, but signal was intermittent.

Too many objects in the room. Too much unnecessary clutter.

Badly designed rooms in terms of space and dimensions.

Needless bathroom accessories provided without request: they are cheap and I would rather not pay for them in the total cost of my room charge, to which they have undoubtedly been added.

Bathroom is horribly decorated.

Shower is built at an angle which makes it difficult to position for a shower and causes the floor to be soaked.

Traffic noise – I stayed in room 24 and it woke me from 7am.

CONCLUSIONS
Thinking of a UK readership of this review, I have to say that this is the most garrulous and kitsch hotel I have ever stayed in, although I am sure that this is not the management’s intention, and some of it is inherently culturally specific. The design and decor of the hotel is meant to evoke a riad or traditional house, but to my taste it is far too over done (having stayed in a genuine riad). It feels oppressive, overbearing and Japanese Feng Shui masters would despair. The doors are bulky and have several locks on them, some functional, others not, and guests are given their electronic key card for entry attached to a huge old-fashioned key which, although an attempt at evoking charm, is just impractical and silly. The same can be said for the four-poster bed: if that floats your boat, then this is the place for you, but it is ridiculous to put these in such a small space (they even have a large painting attached to the frame looking inwards onto the bed!). I booked this at late notice but wish I had taken greater care to look at it and to find something else. I did not like the attitude of the staff regarding payment and currency of payment, I think the room is overpriced and the whole design of the place is overbearing. I would never stay here again and urge people to spend a little more to stay somewhere better such as some of the old Art Deco hotels around the Rialto cinema.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, get a room where the noise of the traffic will not disturb you.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The first day the lady was a bit unfriendly somehow but they have greeted us with a nice Moroccan tea and sweets :)) The house is incredible looking everywhere.... Room was very spacious. I made a wrong reservation and I called here just a day before but they have fix it for me.. Great location!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest ,
On Behalf Moroccan House Hotel team, we are really grateful for your amazing comments : our objective is to make the customer feel like a real guest in a real Moroccan House .
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I came from Casablanca by train, and left by train. In both cases, it was very to get to and from the train station.

The architecture and use of colors in the hotel make it a very beautiful and relaxing environment.

The staff is very efficient, and quick to help. If you only speak English, it might take a little longer to get a question asked, but nothing you cannot overcome, and in the long run it was not a problem for me.

Centrally located, it only to about 10 minutes to get to the Hassan II Mosque (make sure to check visiting hours, or you will not get to visit), and it is only 5 minutes from Rick's Cafe.

I enjoyed my visit at the hotel, and would stay again.

Room Tip: WiFi only works in the lobby and restaurant.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest ,
On Behalf Moroccan House Hotel team, we are really grateful for your amazing comments : our objective is to make the customer feel like a real guest in a real Morccan House .
La Jolla, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

There were mixed reviews about this hotel on TA so I was somewhat nervous about staying here. I was a single female and had read other positive reviews from this demographic and they were right - this was a good choice of hotel.

I was there for one night, purely because I was flying out the next morning from the airport. The purpose of my trip was to see Marrakech - great place to visit.

The older gentleman who greeted me, greeted me like a long lost cousin - truly treatment as an old friend. Reception had me reservation ready for me. I was offered the traditional mint tea. Sat down to drink it and wow! I live art deco and this was one of the reasons I chose this hotel. Glorious! Words failed me. Reception explained they would provide me my passport later (I had learnt in Marrakech they need to retain your passport until you check out, so do not get concerned on this issue).

Went to my room and bed as in the photos - and clean and lots of room. Art deco again. :-)

Bathroom amenities galore.

Windows that open - always important to me, but lots of traffic noise. Disappointing and they do have a/c but I prefer fresh air, but it was only one night.

Wanted to walk to the mosque. Went to the front desk to ask for directions. First girl spoke very little English and I speak no French or Arabic. Another gentleman explained two different ways to get there. The hotels in great location - walk out of the hotel door and turn left. Either turn left at the corner and walk through the medina or walk down to the water and along the main road. Felt safe at all times walking in the areas. Lots of restaurants and shops. Only disappointment was the mosque was closed. Not sure if it was due to the visit by the King, but surprised.

So walked back.

Ordered dinner in the restaurant (you need to pre-order your meal). You can take it in the restaurant or your room. Enjoyed the lamb meatballs, lentil soup and freshly squeezed orange juice.

Ordered my taxi, and slept great.

Check out was a breeze and taxi was there to take me to the airport.

For the price I paid this was great value.

As to the comments about language issues or attitude, I am always grateful for people who can communicate with some English, especially since I do not speak French or Arabic, and they were helpful in answering all my questions and/or requests.

Would stay again, but would request a room on a higher floor so I could leave the windows open and not be disturbed by street traffic. Believe you get what you pay for and I was very happy with the room and service for the price.

Room Tip: I had Room 42. It was noisy with street traffic unless you close both sets of windows. If you like...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hamilton, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I spent one night at the Moroccan House and it was everything I'd expected...over-the-top Arabian Nights decor, helpful desk manager, and one of the better breakfasts I had in my three weeks in Morocco, mainly because you had lots of choices and could get a "custom" omelet. The doorman (dressed like Aladdin and VERY helpful) was a gem. Keep in mind that the ratings you see for Moroccan hotels on booking sites are NOT comparable to those in large European or American cities.the Moroccan House might be thought of as a "theme park" hotel, but without the high price! If you want fun and funky...and a great first taste of Morocco after the trauma of the Casablanca airport and the taxi ride into the city, this is a great place to start. And at less than $60 a night (single including breakfast), you can't beat the value!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Moroccan House Hotel Casablanca? Share your experiences!