“Excellent but for the lack of service at the very end” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent but for the lack of service at the very end”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were recommended this place by a few people. We had a reservation at 8.30pm, and at that time there were 2 other couples and a family and many empty tables. We sat in the garden which is pretty and the weather was nice and warm. The chef/owner came out to greet us and he walked us through the menu and the daily specials. We took all of his recommendations and I had the sea bass carpaccio with strawberries and raspberries (delicious) and then the sweetbreads, scallops and marrow main (superb). I had the souffle dessert, the best I've ever had. The dessert arrived at about 10.00pm and the restaurant was starting to get very busy. I'm mentioning this because when we finished our desserts, our dirty plates sat on the table for 45 minutes. We had no waiting staff remove them, nor did they offer coffee or tea. The only reason this occurred we think was because the restaurant became very busy. We asked for the bill and the dessert plates were still on the table when the bill came. We tipped accordingly (low). But for the total lack of service at the end, this meal was superb.

• Visited June 2013

Bethesda, MD
“Not enough praise for this star”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

From the chef to the staff to the creative menu and the fabulous ambiance, this is an experience worth having. Well located near top hotels in Casablanca, I can't find a single issue (well, I do prefer better appointed bathrooms) that didn't meet my satisfaction. I particularly appreciated the time the chef took to visit diners at their tables and discuss the menu and meal preparations. From quite well cooked fish to duck, it was quite special and worthy of the price. If you can have a seat in the garden, it is worth the wait although the interior is quite pleasing.

• Visited May 2013
Casablanca, Morocco
“Nice food, nice staff, nice room, just not spectacular.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I had dinner here when my parents came to visit Casablanca, and we had a very pleasant meal. The setting was a bit too formal for me and we didn't get to go on the terrace because it was still too cold. However, the chef and staff were accommodating and the service was great. It is definitely one of the pricier restaurants in Casa, but maybe not completely justified.

Visited March 2013
Casablanca
“A secret garden in Casablanca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This restaurant is a secret garden that allows one's senses to explore the splendor that is to come.

The Chef Takki was a gracious host, who didn't leave a rock unturned in terms of cuisine and taste. His personal approach to each guest made the experience of each dish unique.

This is a place I would recommend the traveller to visit at least one during their stay in the city.

• Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“Excellent and creative chef in Casablanca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was my first visit after this restaurant was passed from the Viaud ownership I guess a little over a year ago. There is no change to the dining room, but I would not say it is a negative. For setting, le Rouget de l'Isle is mostly enjoyable when you can eat outside in the garden. the two dining rooms are somewhat cramped; the smaller one is if I recall for non smokers. The main dining room is to be avoided if you are allergic to cigarette or don't like the mix "haute cuisine mixed with tobacco". An investment in a filtering system would not be a bad idea. As far as the cuisine, I was not disappointed and enjoyed the Chef owner enthusiasm who comes to your table to pitch you the Menu du Jour. The menu is very diverse and attractive and the dishes creatively prepared and right on the spot. It is certainly today one of the best table in Casablanca if not the best. The prices are in line with Casablanca; count on 500 DH per head or €50. I highly recommend to go to Le Rouget de l'Isle; but beware if you are a non smoker to make sure to eat outside weather permit or ask if they can accommodate a non smoking area. Unfortunately Morocco has not pass any regulation for non smoking area and it becomes unbearable in confined place as this restaurant.

• Visited April 2013