“Just right!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 80 Hotels in Agadir
London, United Kingdom
“Just right!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just spent a week all inclusive at Royal Atlas with our two sons. We were looking for a week relaxing and were not disappointed.
The pool area is huge, with plenty of sunbeds ( the hotel was full when we were there and there seemed to be plenty to go round) and fresh beach towels handed out each morning. We liked the fact that the Royal Atlas does not make all inclusive guests wear ‘convict’ wrist bands! Although the hotel is right on the seafront, with only a promenade separating it from the beach, it is very private.
Rooms are spacious and well decorated and the house keeping is efficient and unobtrusive with plenty of fresh linen and towels.
Breakfast is served from early morning until 10.00am-not sure how early because we never made it until nearly 10.00 and coffee and croissants served from 10.30 until mid-day at the pool bar-which suited our sons. The buffet breakfast has chefs cooking omelettes and crepes to order and excellent fresh orange juice. Breakfast can be taken on a terrace outside the dining room. Lunch and dinner are buffets with some meat and fish dishes cooked to order. Most of the meat dishes are slow cooked in the Moroccan style, which from the reviews we have seen did not seem to suit everybody- but why go to Morocco if you don’t want to try Moroccan food??
Service was efficient and friendly and seemed to be well organised and plentiful especially around the pool. However, the layout of the dining area is very linear, with service at the centre, so it could get a bit crowded at busy times. The wines served with the meals are local Moroccan and are very good indeed. There is only one bar inside which is very crowded in the evenings and the inside bar staff seemed noticeably less friendly than the pool bar staff.
Just read a couple of reviews by people who did not enjoy their stay at the Royal Atlas- can’t believe they were at the same hotel as us! We went for a week’s eating, drinking , sunbathing ( Agadir is about as far south as the Canaries and we had 30C degrees)reading and relaxing and all in all, the Royal Atlas was just right!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
nasser l, Public Relations Manager at Royal Atlas, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
I would like to thank you for your feed back and will be more than happy to welcome you in the Royal Atlas hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bedford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were originally meant to be staying in a hotel next door to the Royal Atlas, but like many others we were transferred over. We were initially sceptical as I'm sure most travellers are after finding their original plans had been changed.

However we had a very pleasant stay at the Royal Atlas. The rooms were lovely, the pool area was fantastic with a gorgeous sea view, and the staff were helpful and attentive. We did find that the dinner service and food was better in our original hotel (The Decameron), but overall the Royal Atlas was a great experience, and I know that my friends and I would stay again!

My only complaint is the wifi. Expensive for a week, and terrible connection! However this is not the main focus of a holiday, so overall this was not a major factor.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Prague
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

At the moment I arrived at the hotel I liked the building and the entrance, but once I get at the restaurant for my dinner, related to my all inclusive package, my dear God, terrible food, terrible service, cutlery seems to be rarity to find ( clean ones even worse!!) takes an eternity to someone came to you for offer a drink and once you try to call someone, the answer is give me two minutes ( which means do by yourself in 10 min). The 4 days I was at the hotel, I was starving (please note that is a all inclusive hotel). You can drink only specific and few options of drinks, which is available until 11pm, and after that you must pay! Note that the beer, at 2 pm is hot, no more cold beer for offer!
Also the night receptionist, Mouna Belcoid, is really rude, snob, unfriendly and unhelpful. It seems that she is making you a huge favour to check you in at the hotel. I went to the concierge to complain and no deal, as he did not speak English. He called another person to help and translate, but he did not speak good English neither and while I was talking to them, the unprofessional receptionist was screaming to them from the reception to say that it was about her that I was doing the complain, trying to show that she did not care at all about it, please note that she was doing the check in with another guest and they were looking at her without to believe what was going on!
I have been in quite a lot 4 and 5 starts hotels around the world, for business and travel and I never had such a bad experience as this Royal Atlas which is a 5 stars ( only at the denomination, because service, quality of food and so on, should be a 2 stars only if the person who decides was in a really good mood!)
A 5 stars hotel with a all inclusive package which an extra charge for: wifi, gym, sauna, normal drinks as a Mojito and for food in case you want to have a normal meal at one of their 2 restaurants ( which is not good at all as well), does not seems good to me!

Also, once I get in my room and went for a shower,in the FIRST day of my stay, found a intimate hair inside the bath, which makes me feel even more depressed and disgusted about the hotel.I still have the pictures from this and for the very first time during a holiday, I was counting the days to get back home.

About the swimming pool, the music...so annoying!! Was really old style music, only 12 songs, repeating over and over again! There are no real activities, only write in a board but nothing happens at all! The only action I saw was when the staff start to touch a girl in an inappropriate way and she started to scream at him "get out". And the public relations were there, saw and did not even moved!

And about spa, well, you pay a considerate amount of money for receive a massage, once you arrived in the room, there are 2 other people lying there and only 1 person is doing the massage for the tree of us at the same time! Great, isn't it?

Did not finish right there, but write this comment reminds me how frustrate was my stay...even after complain to the public relations of the hotel, nothing happened, as money disappeared for my bag which was inside my room, during the breakfast. The public relation said that he would call some technic man for I see with my own eyes that anybody entry in my room, and asked me to meet him again at 12( lunch time). I went there several times and the answer was "still waiting". At 8pm he called my room and asked when and what time we were living and informed that maybe another guest entry in my room and stole the money and refused to show me the reports as he previous offered, saying that he will show only to the police, which proved that someone really used the key to entry In my room for the 30 minutes I was out.

Went to the concierge at morning once I was finally doing the check out to notify him about the problem regarding the cleanness in the room, the horrible food, and the answer was: I understand but there is nothing we can do about it!

Really nightmare! I do not recommend this place!!! Don't waste time or money at this place!

• Stayed September 2013
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

As I have read on other reviews once back home that this has happened to a lot of people, we were booked in the hotel next door but were told there was no room so we were 'upgraded' to he royal atlas. From talking to other English people it seemed like the hotel was putting all of us in the royal atlas as the other hotel seemed to have more French people as it was all French entertainment!

The royal atlas looks very grand but the rooms are average, the food is rubbish, most of the meat is full of fat, the food gets very boring, we went to the Italian but even the food there wasn't 5*. The main thing I want to make a point about is the staff, they were so rude! They seat you at the buffet but just grunt rudely so I made a point about not talking to this one waiter as he sent us up and down the dinner hall and when we finished dinner I didn't say bye because I was so angry at how rude he was and he then leaned over my shoulder repeatedly saying bye in a stupid voice like he was taking the piss! There were any occasions where the bar staff in the stone bar would stand behind the bar chatting to each other and ignoring the fact that we were waiting for a drink.
The staff at the pool bar were not too bad but they thought they had a good sense of humour but in fact sometimes they just sounded rude. The worst part of all is I don't even think it would do any good if people complained to the manager because even they were rude! Me friends had an issue that they were getting charged for mini bar that they didn't use, so they politely queried but they were told by the manager that it was abit of a coincidence and then when they were trying to explain themselves the manager was laughing in their faces with her collegue who she then had a conversation in French with so we couldn't tell what they were saying!!

I would never recommended this hotel and can't believe they are shoving all the English guests into this so called 5* hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just back from a lovely stay in the Royal Atlas Hotel. Having read some previous reviews we were abit worried about staying in this hotel. However there was no need. The hotel is in a great location, the main promenade area and beach are right behind the hotel, where there are lots of good restaurants. The hotel itself was very clean and our room was serviced everyday. The pool was clean and well maintained, and the pool bar staff were great. Very friendly and helpful. We were all inclusive and found this to be off no disadvantaged. The buffet restaurant could get a bit tiring, however we ate at the Mororrican and Italian restaurant once each, which was included in our all inclusive. They were both nice. The breakfast was very busy, however there were chefs cooking fresh crepes, waffles and omelettes made to order each morning.The 2 bars were the pool bar and the stone bar. In the pool bar the service was very quick and service was at the bar. In the stone bar we ordered at the bar and the waiter brought the drinks to the table, this took a bit of time, as did the drinks service in the restaurants. However we compensated for this by order a large bottle of wine each time.
I had a hamman and massage in the hotel which was well worth it. Check out the spa for different deals, which work out to be quite good value.
If this hotel was in the UK, it would be between a 4 and a 5 star.
We also took the little train around Agadir, which was good. I would also recommend a visit to the Souk. Being a young female, I was worried that I might get some hassle, but this was really not the case. I found that everyone was really friendly and helpful and generally had a good sense of humour. The orange taxis only take 3 people and are about 25 dirams, the white taxis are a bit more expensive (50 dirams)but take up to 6 people. However you need to agree a price before you get in.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
nasser l, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Atlas, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel last week and loved it. The staff are very helpful and efficient - we needed to get a doctor and it was all organised hassle free.
The hotel itself is quite luxurious and a great place to relax in the evening as agadir is quiet and any visitor wouldn't spend much time outside if the hotel so it is worth it to select a nice place to stay.
The only criticisms really is that the music in the bar is far too loud (and not great!) which is a shame as the bar itself is gorgeous
A little more attention to detail here and there is needed but in general I'd really recommend it.
It's spotlessly clean which is a huge plus for me.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Ok just had a week here, by accident as it transpired as where we did book into (tafoukt beach) didn't have a room for us them moved us nextdoor which was the royal atlas, fair play we got the same room grade but 5 star instead of 4.

lets start with the good things;
it's a very nice hotel inc decor
relaxed atmosphere
languages were never an issue
close to beach
themed restaurants are quite good
pool bar staff are good
cleaners do a good job, room made up every day

Not so good things;
Buffet restaurant got pretty busy, quite a few rude guests and food monotonous
some staff a bit wierd and blew hot and cold
only 1 bar to have a beer in the evening
General public areas outside of hotel grounds (agadir) are grubby and unclean
sunbeds difficult as they get 'reserved' then can go unused
Plenty of beggars

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Royal Atlas? Share your experiences!