“Takes the hassle out of family holidays” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Agadir

You added Club Med Agadir to your Saves list
Club Med Agadir
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route de l_Oued Sous, Agadir 80000, Morocco   |
Ranked #13 of 80 Hotels in Agadir
Ireland
“Takes the hassle out of family holidays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

Just back from Club Med Agadir and while I have never posted a review of a resort before I felt I had to this time. I was quite worried about what the resort would be like having read some negative reviews on this site. While I can understand everyone's experience and expectations are different, I can't understand some of the very bad reviews. Our experience was totally different in some cases. My expectations would be quite high and Club Med met or exceeded them in most cases.
The food was excellent. Huge variety, very high standard and for families absolutely ideal because there is something for everyone and food is available all day.
THe children's activiities were great for our ten year old. Our other two children did not attend, one was too old (13) and there were no activities for teenagers and one too young (almost 3) as we just don't like to leave her alone in kids' clubs. We all enjoyed it though and could not praise them enough. Our only complaint was that we had to take two rooms and they were not beside eachother although we were told at time of booking that this could not be guaranteed. In any case they were pretty close but just not next door. I was concerned about the language problem but easily got by with a smattering of french and many staff members spoke at least a bit of English. The night we arrived we were given a separate English language welcome meeting which was very helpful. My kids managed fine too and they have no French. Although previously not a fan of sharing tables we ended up meeting other families and joining the parents for dinner each night which was new to us and really nice. We were often joined at our table by people we did not know and either chatted or did not, depending on what suited everyone. I read other reivews which were crticial of this arrangement but I have to say it was not a problem.
The entertainment and activities are excellent, although not really our scene but you have to admire the effort put in. The kids loved the shows each evening whether watching or performing in them. They also made great friends for the week.
We had the bigger rooms so I can't comment on the other sizes. They looked kind of small but probably adequate and you really don't want to spend much time in them anyway because the resort is so nice with a lovely beach, great pool and lots of other areas to relax, sunbathe, read, chill etc. Fuil of activity if that is your thing but also a great place to chill out if you don't like joining in - there is no pressure to participate and plenty of alternatives. The ranch where the sports take place is a short bus ride away but is also a lovely place to relax and have a walk around. It was a little more expensive than our usual holidays but when you consider all drinks and food are included, along with kids' activities it might be worth comparing the cost. I think it was great value.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

When you longing to see sun again in winter choose Agadir. Very sunny city by the ocean. Club Med one of the oldest in the chain. Excellent location, beach and GO s ( gente organizateurs). Far from the madding crowd. Excellent food as other MEDs, nothing to add more. French is a must English they speak but not sooo welcome.

Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

Stayed 1 week, location excellent, right beside a beautiful beach, easy to walk on and lots of space, Club med has private area with chairs etc, only a short walk to chalet type accommodation, fairly sparse but adequate and comfortable, chairs and table outside each door. Common ares very exotic and colorful, pool area very nice but quite crowded. Bar service very good but and the only but is that the food is not great. It is perfectly adequate and there is a reasonable choice but the quality of the meat is quite poor. The grilled fish available for both lunch and dinner is very good but not much choice. There are no prawns whatsoever. There was lovely fillet steak one night. The salads are ok but very little selection. The pizzas were delicious and the fresh pasta bar good too. There is very little fruit for breakfast and the bacon was inedible, slices of fat with absolutely no lean on them, amazing that they serve this and even more amazing that people would actually eat it. Fresh orange juice squeezed on the spot was really good and the freshly made pancakes were delicious. Don't let the food put you off as there is plenty to choose from if you are not too picky. Overall I would say this is a good holiday spot and would recommend it. The staff are very well trained and the locals are charming. Very little English spoken!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Large. Everybody has their own small villa. There is a swimming pool and a beach nearby. It is a few minutes walk from the main town and the market place.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
Harrogate, North Yorks
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

We had a holiday last year in agadir. Although we have nothing against other nationalities but being the four only british people at the resort we did feel totally isolated. Not only from all the guests but also from the staff, as only one member of staff could properly speak english.

This affected us not only at the resort, but also at the sporting facilities - especially the tennis, where none of the coaches could speak english - hence we could not join any of the lessons or competitions. As the same with every facility offered.

However, we did try one excursion - the buggy ride. Which would strongly recommend, and got to experience a moroccans home, and one off!
With regards to the children, although we don't we mind kids, i just felt they totally dominated the whole resort, especially at meal times and the evening. They were just left to run riot around the restaurant and the bar area, and you couldn't relax.

That brings us on to the bar. My son came with us who was 19 at the time, and although he had an adult wristband, because he looks a couple of years younger than his age, he was questioned numerous times by various bar staff regarding his age. Even accused him of whether he was getting drinks for U18s. This we found spoilt our holiday, amongst other things, as it undermind us as responsible parents and found it insulting, as we did talk to the hotel manager, who did nothing to resolve the problem. Probably as he was having an affair with one of the single young blonde mums.

Now we come to evening restaurant. Due to the fact that we felt completely isolated, we prefered to sit at a table for four (which were like gold dust) the odd time we did spot a table for four, we were told it was reserved. Which we were led to believe by restaurant policy that reserving tables was not allowed. Only to find that the restaurant manager was saving it for the same client and his family, this happened several times. Also, the white wine was served warm, and when asked for an ice bucket, we were ignored. But funnily enough, the guest with the special reserved table manage to have one Every night.

Food - repetitive and very average
Coffee Machines - hardly worked most ot the time, and were dreadful when there did work.
Pool - My daughter went in once, and said it was dirty as bits were in the water - and was FULL of kids screaming + too small.
Beach - only positive thing from the holiday - lovely.
Rooms - looked tired, dark - although friendly cleaner! moroccans were lovely people, always smiling and far better than any of the hotel staff.

My husband described this holiday as " A POSH BUTLINS "

During the holiday, we travelled to Marrakech and stayed at a club med hotel, which was far superior, ten times friendlier staff, and much better all round, you felt as if you got your moneys worth. We were glad to get away!!!!!!!!

If you are english and considering this holiday i should STEER CLEAR!
however for the french, they seemed to enjoy it.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Brussels
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

I've been on several ClubMed holidays, but this one just wasn't up to scratch. The reason for this was down to poor management.
When I arrived at the airport, my suitcase hadn't arrived. It seemed to be the norm, as no one was particularly bothered. I have to say that the Italian courier was very kind and gave me a ready prepared bag (again it's clear that it's a regular occurrence) with the necessaries such as deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste, make-up remover plus she gave me a ClubMed sweat shirt to sleep in. That aside, I was told they would look for my suitcase the next morning and I had to give the code to open my case, which I wasn't at all happy with! The next morning, it had not arrived and they said "this afternoon"; in the afternoon they said "this evening" at which point I lost it! One person said one thing, another another, so when they heard me getting irrate the superior stepped in and got the proper information for me and assured me it had been located and would arrive that evening, which it did, if somewhat later than mentioned.
The team were generally very lazy and not terribly bothered about the guests' well-being. They're supposed to mingle, at a minimum say "hello" or "bonsoir" at the restaurant in the evening, but they didn't, unless you were a young blonde! My friend and I bought a lot of things at their boutique, but one there was a mistake in my friend's bill and it took an awful lot of arguing for the woman to finally accept that she had made a mistake. She took it personnally and was unpleasant the rest of our stay. I would say that is typical of the general attitude there.
The worst thing was that during the last night, there was a party going on next door! At 2am I kindly asked them to stop, at which point they went out. I slept 3 hours, then it all started up again when they came back. After one hour of them laughing and making a lot of noise, I went out in my nightie to have a shout at them, only the find the door open and just inside, a ClubMed courier (G.O.) sitting in the doorway! Shouldn't he know better? I later complained to the Manager who didn't seem at all bothered. He said he would have a word with him, but I doubt that he really did.
It wasn't all bad: the welcoming party was good, although I was too upset about my suitcase, and the final party was really excellent. Generally, the food was good and there was plenty of choice and the last evening was a treat with canard à l'orange and good wine. I felt that it was the attitude of the staff that let the whole thing down.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Munich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

My husband and I wanted to go for an all-inclusive holiday with an extensive offer on sports activities in a mild climate, preferably a beach resort. As we travelled over Xmas and New Year we found most Club Resorts to be booked up and decided on the Club Med Agadir, following the positive reports on Tripadvisor. This was our first ever Club Holiday.
We found everything to be very much to the contrary from the good reports.
My husband and I are in our late thirties and both understand and speak French quite well and are both fluent in English. However, we were basically ignored when requiring information from reception or at the restaurant. The French guests were treated like royalty and we both felt truly out of place. We expected to have some sort of introduction to the club and information on activities, events etc, but after arrival were led to our room and left to our own devices. Needless to say we tried to get an overview ourselves, which was made really difficult being not French. Once we called reception to ask that our telephone and door be repaired (which took 1 week) and the receptionist dealt with someone else and did not really pay attention whilst being on the phone to us. We tried to ignore this although we found it to be extremely rude but continued to experience strange incidences. The house wine was terrible - we had the most awful of headaches before refraining from ever drinking it again -, white wine being served at room temperature, the red straight from the fridge. The staff in the restaurant was rude. Champagne on New Years Eve was at an extra charge (10 EUR a glass). Everyone - first and foremost the G.O.s - turned all their attention to the children (and their parents), we felt mostly "accepted", nothing more. To summarise the whole thing: much too expensive for what it is. Food is average, Service bad, Sports offer is ridiculously small, interesting sports such as Golf, Mountain biking or horseback riding are charged for.
Very bad cost-value ratio - it seems that one is paying mostly for the mini-club (where babies and children are looked after and seems to be quite good) and therefore the service is suffering greatly. We cannot suggest Club Med. And on a final note: I have been working for a French Company for years now, and had no prejudices whatsoever, but I do have them now...

• Liked — sun/beach/Mountainbike-trips
  • Disliked — the rest...
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Club Med Agadir? Share your experiences!