“Lovely hotel apart from the cats!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Timoulay

You added Hotel Timoulay to your Saves list
Hotel Timoulay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cite Founty F6 Baie des Palmiers, Agadir 80000, Morocco   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Agadir
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel apart from the cats!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

On arriving at Hotel Timoulay we were very impressed, the people were friendly, helpful, and our room was comfy and CLEAN! The only negative aspect regarding our room was the drain in the bath, following my first shower the water failed to go down and we had to call reception for them to fix it! This happened once again right before we left. Other than this the room was lovely!
Breakfast was good! There is a counter where a very lovely woman makes fresh omlettes, crepes & waffles right in front of you. Dinner was also very nice - very healthy food and once again there is a counter where you are able to choose from a selection of grills (fish, meat etc) to be cooked in front of you. FYI the fish is tasty! I would like the salad selection to be covered in future - there are a lot of flies as it is a hot country and there were a few instances where I witnessed a fly on a slice of cucumber or carrot.
Following all the other reviews regarding cats - I am sad to say that I also had a bad experience with them. I am not an animal lover (nor an animal hater!) so I was a bit upset to see 3 cats hover anytime food was present. It made me really uncomfortable. At one point one cat even came into the restaurant and jumped on one of the chairs! They would also surround the pool area and made it very uncomfortable for me to relax in my lounge chair without worrying that a cat will jump on me!!
Other than these negative aspects, overall I really enjoyed my time at this hotel. The staff were especially welcoming and friendly I was sad to say bye!
If you dont mind cats then stay here!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
TimoulayHotel, General Manager at Hotel Timoulay, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your invaluable feedback following your recent stay with us, I have taken note of your comments, we do believe that this is the only way to improve our service standard.

I am also very sorry to hear of your disappointments with cats, we are trying to resolve this matter the best way.

My team were grateful that you enjoyed their service and we all hope that you will be back again to the Timoulay Hotel & Spa .

Best regards

Zahra RIZQ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

After reading all the positive reviews for this hotel and its rating of being the 2nd best hotel in Agadir we expected so much more!
Hotel was very clean and quiet
Staff were not particularly friendly but helpful if asked
Location surrounded by building sites
Food, same most nights, no flavours in anything, left overs re-cycled in some way for the next night and always luke warm!
Drinks expensive and definitely watered down.
Entertainment-Nil!
And the cats!!!!! The poor ginger female would cry by your table each night for food and when we left on the 9th June she was being tortured by the two tom cats (even though we had witnessed one of them having his way with her during breakfast!) She was being chased continuously the whole day by both if them and I asked the lifeguard if they could not put her away somewhere, but no luck!! It was awful to witness and we couldn't wait to leave!
The weather was strange, most days sun does not break through the mist until 2ish!
All in all, we would not recommend or return.

• Stayed June 2012
TimoulayHotel, General Manager at Hotel Timoulay, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Guests,

First of all, we want to thank you for having taken some of your time to write this review, and we are really sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations.

We are really sorry that you kept such a negative image of us, we love pets but we are in the service business and sometimes our actions to handle with many different situations, reflects a wrong image of us.

Of course we would be very happy to welcome you back one day in the futur.

Yours sincerly
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

we had 3 days in Marrakech then travelled to Timoulay for a relaxing 11 days after reading the reviews on here. We've stayed in excellent boutique hotels in Malaysia & were hoping for something similar here but it didn't come close. Yes it was quiet & relaxing around the pool, until the day that approx 8 families with children turned up for only a couple of days thankfully. Rooms were large & no real complaints there except the shower temparature & pressure was really poor. The cleaner did a good job & was the friendliest member of the staff we came across. Most of reception were smiley enough but did't really go out of their way to help. As we were there when the Euro's started they had some of the matches on in the bar, but the atmosphere was terrible, the bar staff had no interest in even making eye contact with you let alone having "banter" & trying to make you feel welcome, it was quite painful at times trying to order a drink. On at least 3 occassions while we were dining the waiters would start to clear our table before we had finished, or even more annoyingly remove items from the table before we'd even started eating it!! there were plenty of spare tables so I really don't know what the rush was.

Kittens:- seeing the previous post has prompted me to write a review, the 6 kittens that are talked about, myself & my partner found them in their box in some bushes meowing so loudly we couldn't miss them, we ended up caring for them for nearly a week, taking them fresh water & milk as there was only a disgusting bowl of manky water in the box when we found them, we even put them some of our old clothes in their box they were so helpless, one evening one of the reception staff saw us tending to the kittens & kindly informed us that they belonged to the hotel next to Timoulay (which was obviously not even open when we were there), so I didn't believe him & now it seems that wasn't true if they were born at Timoulay. a couple of days beore we left we heard the kittens down the ramp under the hotel, we had a look & 2 of the 6 were there with some staff who seemed to find it amusing that they were nearly falling down the grid, we went mad & they changed their tune, fetching a clean box, we checked the others where they usually were & 2 were missing, so we took the other 2 back to the hotel to be reuinted with the rest, so the surviving 4 were then kept under the hotel for the remainder of our stay. I was so upset & angry as we;ve no idea how they 2 got there or why they'd been separated & they didn't seem to care, i dread to think what happened to them once we returned home. It seems this is a regular occurance & the hotel do not care in the slightest.

Room Tip: don't go if you like animals :)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Hotel Timoulay, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your comments following your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves on caring for all of our guests that's why I was shocked to read your feedback about your experience with us. I am personally going to follow up every point you mentionned with the staff members concerned.

We love animals, but we can't take care of all pets, but I really understand your reaction, we did what we could so as to save this kittens, may be not enough but we really tried,

As I already said to Mrs Flaki2, we are going to castrate our cat so as to avoid more new kittens, I hope it will be a solution.

I do sincerely hope that we will be able to welcome you again, and have the opportunity to show you how great The Timoulay Hotel & Spa truly is.

Kindest regards
Zahra Rizq
Gle Manager
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

As others have said, the hotel is small, not suited for children, but has good disabled rooms which are large. Beds are supremely comfortable, clean linen and towels daily and TV channels are decent, one news and one film in English. There are no tea/coffee making facilities, and I like a cup of coffee in bed on my holiday- so take a kettle. The hotel is reasonably clean, but we smashed a jar of coffee in our room (accidently) and had fun watching the coffee granules remain under the bed, right by the wheels and the entire edge of the bed for 6 days- so the moral is, they only clean what you see!.

We are an easy going couple; We had booked and paid for 8 nights, a month in advance for this hotel, so when we arrived and were told that we could only stay for one night in the disabled room, as they had no payment for us nor any room for that length of stay, we were alarmed. The hotel produced further evidence later that night that our room had been cancelled by a 3rd party, but graciously "allowed " us to have our dinner. The next day at 10.15am we went to reception as agreed, only to find the staff that were supposed to be sorting out our problem were off. Eventually after 4 hours it was discovered that we had paid and could stay. We didn't want to move our stuff again so said we would stay in the disabled room. The next evening as we were getting in our car the manager came running out and told us we had to move rooms the next morning, to the room right next door as a guest who is regular there wanted our room. Being obliging we said ok. So imagine our surprise when we asked could we swap our eveing meal for a lunch meal one day, and were told "No". Everything was apparently sorted out and a change of this nature impossible. And I would qualify this as service - which others have said is good, but its not really. You have to ask for things, and then its brought, so they don't seem to care or know what you need, in order to give you good service.

Meals are a restless affairs. You constantly have to hunt down cutlery from other tables if you weren't in the first batch of clients, food was not replenished until the last slice/scrap had been used/taken. Breakfast is supposed to be till 10.30am, but if you go there at 10.25am, everything is being put away. The was an outside kitchen that did omelettes/boiled eggs etc and in the evening chips/pizza/ skewers of food, cooked to order, which we found by accident as there are no signs pointing out its existence. Hygiene for food is a huge problem there, with little to no understanding about covering food, and often we couldn't eat much or indeed anything because of that. Birds would fly in and eat from the bread/cake display in the morning and flies were all over the place, all the time Definately stay away from the fresh salads/fruit/bread . Alot of the evening meal options were lukewarm, but there was a reasonable choice. In short the food was at best ok.

Re kittens;
Please see Dave C review 24th March. As you will read the hotel state the cat and kittens are doing fine. We went May 21st which would make those kittens about 9 weeks old, and there was no sign of them, certainly making them to young to have fled the "nest", but the female cat was pregnant again. Subsquently she gave birth to 6 kittens on 28th May. Somone had placed them in a cardboard box, and the cat was being fed. On 2nd June the kittens disappeared (other guest have kept me up to date), their fate no doubt the same as the first batch. I'm just very annoyed that the hotel thinks it can write responses as to Dave C review and think we are idiots and belive everything they say. This attitude is prevelant in the TImoulay, as if it wasn't, there have been enough bad comments about their restuarant and bar for them to do something about it.

Distance to beach; is about a 8 minute slow walk downhill there, uphill (steep) back.
Distance to night life about the same if you want to go into other hotels, or get a cab for £2 to a more lively area.

The hotels most redeeming feature is its value for money which I feel is excellent and for that reason I would recommend it.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms have view of sea and pool but no overhead covering, which can make them unbearably h...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Hotel Timoulay, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I was dissapointed that you had issues during your stay with us. I have taken note of them and am looking in to them in more detail.

It is from feedback that guests give us that we try and improve the service at the hotel.

Please let me clarify just the point about the kittens, When I said in my answer to Mr Dave C that the kittens were doing well and we just moved them to other place, I never said that they are still in the hotel, we moved them out of the hotel to a place where they can find food easily when they can be autonome.

It is impossible for us to keep all the cats in the hotel, plus the stray cats who feel free to come in, because we have complains from other guests who feel disturbed by the pool or by the restaurant terrace especially in a small hotel as ours,but it does not mean that we don't care about pets, but solutions must be found.

So as to avoid other kittens, we decided to castrate as soon as possible, the cat who belongs to the hotel.

We are really sorry that you kept such a negative image of us, we love pets but we are in the service business and sometimes our actions to handle such a situation, reflects a wrong image of us, our main goal here is our guest satisfaction and feel sorry that we fault with you.

At your earliest convenience please fell free to contact me persoanlly at any time to discuss your stay further with me.

Sincerly yours
Zahra
marrakech
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Our 4th time at Timoulay and although not as good as the first ones, the hotel is still an excellent choice. Agadir is struggling to maintain its number of tourists despite the crisis and that can have an impact on the overall service level. Likes: the pool, large rooms, breakfast, value for money. Dislikes: children running around screaming, buffet dinner.
Would come again but probably would avoid weekends in the summer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel which has been the best stay that I have ever had. The staff are so polite, sweet and humble. The good customer service comes straight down from manager to the reception staff and even to the Restaraunt staff and chef. They are always smiling always willing to help. All I can say is of you are looking to book here you will not regret this experience. Some people have critised this hotel but how unfortunate were they!!

• Stayed May 2012
TimoulayHotel, General Manager at Hotel Timoulay, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this fantastic review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always try to anticipate our guests needs and was very glad we met your expectations on this stay and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back and to meet you again.

I have passed on your comments to my team.

Kind regards

Gravesend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

we have just got back from our stay in this lovely hotel. We had a good room overlooking the pool, a little higher up would have been better as we requested, but thats just a slight grumble. The pool itself was lovely, salt water pool was very welcoming after sunning ourselves on the sunbeds all day. always plenty of space with towels provided by the hotel. everyone was very helpful and friendly, from all the staff. We enjoyed the food, especially breakfasts, but both my husband and I were a little poorly with tummy troubles for a few days, but this is common in Morocco!!!! just take plenty of Imodium with you!!! saying that, we cannot fault the cleanliness of the hotel, have to say the cleaners worked their socks off, and certainly took pride in their work. We do feel however that it isnt a 4* rating, entertainment was non existent and thought that the evenings lacked atmosphere. We also felt that the spirits were watered down a lot. one bottle of tonic water would accompany at least 3 vodkas - unheard of in most of Europe including the UK, we felt this let the hotel down a lot. Apart from this little flaw we really enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the pool but ask for the 3rd floor, get a great view of the sea and Agadi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us following your stay at the Timoulay Hotel & Spa. I am pleased to note that overall you very much enjoyed your experience with us, and a little disapointed that you felt that the spirits were watered down, however, I assure you that all the spirits bottles have an automatic doser which respect the international dose of each alchool.
We have contacted the firm to whom we have bought the doser so as to check again.

Please rest assured that we will continue to look for improvements and I hope that you will notice that when you have the opportunity to stay with us in the future.

Sincerly yours

Zahra RIZQ

Been to Hotel Timoulay? Share your experiences!