“Wonderful holiday experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Tikida Dunas

Save Saved
You added ClubHotel Riu Tikida Dunas to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Tikida Dunas
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Chemin des Dunes B.P. 901, Agadir 80000, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #6 of 80 hotels in Agadir
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Wonderful holiday experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Having never been to an all inclusive or visited Morocco this was a new experience for my partner and I.

Tip - When you first arrive at the airport a 'porter' will literally try to take your luggage, keep a hold of it - they will expect payment for this.

When we arrived at the hotel there were many people checking in, but we were all dealt with swiftly as there were lots of staff at the reception. We were also handed a glass of some sort of cocktail. We were given a label with our room number on to put on our suitcases, and a hotel porter took them to our room (he waited for a tip when he left them but we had yet to change our money). The Moroccan restaurant was kept open for new arrivals so we got a meal that evening, even though it was quite late. In that restaurant they seem to put you on a large table with people from your own country. Being socially awkward, we found this slightly uncomfortable, although others may find this a good way to get to know others.

The room was large and basic. The beds were hard, but we slept very well every night. At the welcome meeting they did say the mattresses were new and they could be changed if they were too hard. There is a TV but the only English speaking channel is BBC World - with a catchy theme tune and it is slightly repetitive, but good for just getting the news headlines. The room in general was very good, but if you are on holiday you shouldn't really be spending much time there anyway.

The cleaners were excellent, very efficient and friendly. The room was cleaned everyday, but it would vary what time of day - it is a large complex so they seemed to stagger the cleaning. We didn't see them much, but as with all the staff they would always say hello.

The Food - As vegetarians we were expecting to struggle to find something to eat, as we had heard all inclusive can be poor for vegetarian options. We need not have worried. Breakfast options were varied, lots of egg (boiled, scrambled and omelettes), donuts, pastries, bacon, little sausages, cold meats, cheese, cereal, toast...everything. Lots of juices, coffee and tea. They cater for British, German and the French (which all seem to be the main customers of the hotel).
Lunch was in the restaurant on the lower level, and did get busy, however you could always get a seat. You never had to wait long for either food or drink.
There are 3 evening restaurants, the main general buffet, the Italian and the Moroccan ones. The latter two you had to book, but there always seemed to be a waiter wandering around at breakfast and lunch to book with. We ate at the Moroccan and Italian, they were good but I didn't think there were significantly better than the buffet one (which had some Moroccan and Italian food anyway). Snacks were available all day and there were 2 bars open from 9 for drinks. The beer was weak, so too the cocktails. The spirits or wine are probably the best to have if you want to get tipsy.

The complex - 3 pools - they were very cold. You need to get up early to get a sun lounger as people tend to 'reserve' them early. There are some kittens/cats that seem to live on the complex, but they don't bother you and are in fact rather cute. Don't feed them though, the hotel seem to do that.

The entertainment - The animation team...well what can I say. They are very enthusiastic. If you are not into that kind of thing, they would probably still attempt to get you involved, but if you have any gumption you would be able to say no. We didn't, hence got dragged to play darts 3 times. Please be aware, it generally does not just involve darts, one included finding spoons in the swimming pool then doing the Gangnam style on the bridge. So, if you play darts and that's all you want to do, leave immediately after and don't hold hands with anyone! Anyone! Because they will lead you to the next game. Also, if you are not a fan of Gangnam style - be aware you will hear it many times a day. It was a good way to meet people, even for us socially awkward people.
The Animation team work very, very hard (as do all the staff)- they are constantly active.

Tip - remember that if you get involved once you will more than likely be asked every day after.

In the evening the same team put on the evening show. The first once was comedy night, which was like having a drug induced 'bad trip' but I think they cater for the European sense of humour. We did go every night, and they had different shows on. The Mr and Mrs style one was amusing. The activities for the children seem excellent, parents seemed to be able to leave their kids with the team most of the day.

Outside the hotel - There is a private beach at the back, which has sun loungers. When were decided to walk along the promenade we did feel awkward as you do get harassed by people trying to sell things. We walked into Agadir and got the 'petite train' which takes you round the city for 18dh. In terms of the city the one day around there was enough. We got a petite taxi to souk al haj (gate 2) which was 30dhs there and 20dh back. We expecting it to be awful in terms of being approached but it wasn't as bad as we thought.

Weather - It was odd, there was kind of a mist/fog and was often cloudy. It was warm, but some evenings required a cardigan, or light jacket. We did get tanned and even sun burnt - so be careful. It is deceptive.

Excursions - we went on 2, the camel trekking and the Altas mountains trek. Both were hard work, but enjoyable. In terms of the Thomson reps that was all the were useful for. I would happily just dealt with the hotel.

I have rambled on enough but the main and the best thing about this hotel is undoubtedly the staff. I can not sing their praises enough, from the gardners, cleaners, entertainment team, to the waiters, bar staff. They are always happy, and seem really genuinely pleased to see you. They work so, so hard, and it must have been tough since it was Ramadan during our stay. The managers are readily available, you see them often around the complex.

In terms of going there again. I don't think we would go back to Agadir. We felt that we had done what we wanted, and seen the sights of Morocco. We would definitely go back to the hotel, and would opt for a Riu hotel on our next holiday!

Room Tip: We were in room 4027, which had a view of the pools and sea.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

1,875 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have just returned from my second stay at the hotel. From the minute we arrived we were treated fantastically, we had exactly the same room as on our first trip and our request for mattress toppers was accommodated. There is not one member of staff we met who did not have a smile on their face and genuinely enjoyed their job. The weather was a bit misty but be warned you still get burnt. It would be nice if the a la carte Italian was waiter service but that's a personal opinion. I personally preferred the Italian to the main buffet as it was so much quieter in the evening.
I have already recommended the hotel to friends and they loved the hotel as much as I did. I would have no hesitation in going back again.

• Stayed July 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We came here for our honeymoon, we advised them of this before we went and when we arrived there was a huge bunch of beautiful roses waiting (nice touch till husband got the bill for them)
The rooms are simple but adequate our ac broke down for 3 nights we kept complaining they said the hotel was full and nothing they could do, they sent maintence round each night around 1130 pm to see if it could be fixed. Finally we got another

• Stayed August 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Not even been home 12 hours and felt the need to share what a wonderful experience we had at the ClubHotel RIU Tikida Dunas. From the moment we stepped through the door, I felt like I was a part of the family. We arrived at the hotel late on the Monday night and were greeted with broad smiles and delicious refreshments. Once checked in, we were informed that the Moroccan restaurant had been kept open so that we could eat before we hit the sack. We had sea view rooms in block 3 which were spotlessly clean, big and comfortable. The view of the beach was stunning. We did have an issue with our air conditioning which was fixed by midday (I should add that we did report it at midnight!). I felt like the reception staff were very friendly and even more helpful, especially when my dad fell over and damaged his knee. They called out a doctor immediately who arrived within 30mins and after receiving a prescription, one of the reception staff actually went out to a pharmacy for us and collected the medicine. I felt like they went above and beyond what was expected of them. Karen and Hassan, the Thomson reps, were keen to help in any which way they could and we felt like they really wanted to take care of us during our stay. As the week went on, it became apparent that the sea mist wasn't going to let us have our full day of sunshine but you can hardly let this negatively impact your stay - we heard from several people that this was most unusual for the time of year and sure enough, by the second week, it had cleared and we had beautiful weather. Still managed to come back with a cracking colour. The day time activities were in abundance, leaving you with no reason to be bored (although we didn't participate in any activities outside of the bar)! We were also given a wide range of excursions to choose from including day trips to Marrakech. The animation team were enthusiastic and keen to get you involved, especially Ahmed, but weren't pushy at all. Now on to the food... Breakfast was fairly busy unless you went before 8/8.30am. We're earlybirds so this was no issue to us personally. There was everything you could wish for including cereals, pastries, cooked breakfasts, eggs every which way you wanted, always sausages, sometimes bacon, but you were never short of choice. If you got a second wind, you could get continental breakfast in the pool-side restaurant from 10.30am til noon. Lunch was quite hectic but what do you expect when the hotel is at capacity? It sure didn't bother us. You can always find somewhere to sit and let's be honest, you're not starving after the breakfast(s) you would have had! Dinner again was quite hectic but well managed. No matter how busy any of the meal times got, you were always looked after by the waiting staff who kept your water and wine topped up, cleared your plates in jig time, and even taught you a phrase or two en français! My mum was a particular fan of "mon petit chou-fleur" which basically means "my little cauliflower". Jacob and the rest of the restaurant managers were present at all meal times, making sure everyone received a high standard of care and food. Jacob was also keen on getting feedback and would sort out any issues, if any, immediately. I was very impressed. As for the pool, we saw the pool cleaners chlorinate and clean the pool with a hose and net regularly!!!!!!!!!!! Even the landscaping, like the rocks, were scrubbed daily. All of the staff from the gardeners to pool cleaners, bar staff to housekeeping - EVERYONE! - wanted to do the best they could to ensure your stay was everything you hoped it could be and more. I genuinely feel like this hotel deserves all the praise it gets and proves to be good value for money without compromising on quality. I've recommended it to several work colleagues already! We have been lucky enough to travel all across the world and I feel like Morocco is really quite a special place. It's definitely worked it's charm on me and I'm hoping to visit the ClubHotel RIU Tikida Dunas again next year! Once again, the RIU group has come up trumps.

Room Tip: If we were to go again, we would ask for Block 3 on the ground floor as it was nearest to the bar, p...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We have just returned from our family holiday & agree with last two reviews were amazed at cold & windy our week had been. No 2 days were the same, only 4 days of sunny days out of 7. Even the evenings were cool & I had wished we had taken jeans & warmer tops or jackets.

The hotel at first looked just as in the brochure but I'm afraid we soon realised this was superficial. The hygiene & maintenance standards were appalling. Cannot fault any of the staff. Our maids made shapes every day out of our bedspreads & were always friendly but I'm afraid the same rancid mop & cloth they were using just about spreading filth from one apartment to another.

The food was plentiful but all tasted the same but I'm afraid that having witnessed how everything was cleared I believe that this is how my husband contracted a severe bout of food poisoning on day 2 of our holiday. Chronic cramps, diohorrea, violent vomiting & hallucinating. I had to call a doctor out late at night & find a pharmacy that was open miles away. Thank goodness for the lovely taxi driver who couldn't speak a word of English but could understand my concern & urgency the fact that I had a doctors prescription for a cocktail of drugs to find! He even stayed with me when we did eventually find a pharmacy that was open so late - thank goodness because the area was so desolate & I would have felt vulnerable in such an area late at night. Myself & 2 kids were all unwell at some stage but fortunately not to this degree.

The pools were not chlorinated & we watched a staff member watering the plants with the hose so high all the mud was just washing into the pool which was off putting to say the least.

As I've already mentioned the staff were friendly, animation team were fun but not too pushy but I honestly think this hotel or resort is geared up for tourists yet. Apart from walk along the promenade there isn't anything to look at or entertain you. You can only walk along this so many times anyway as there really isn't anything to see apart from other hotels!

We were hoping for a week of relaxation & sun. Turned out to be mostly cloudy & dodgy tummies all round!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

First off , I'm not going to be bleating on about the weather and sea mist !
The hotel experience for me was spot on . The staff were very professional , courteous , well turned out and always had a warm friendly smile.
The food was great, plenty of variety and well cooked and presented. Our room was spotless, spacious and very comfortable. Our room was serviced on a daily basis with fresh towels and linen. Our room overlooked the gardens which were perfectly manicured . The bar staff were excellent and very professional.
There was always hotel management on hand which I thought promoted the air of professionalism at all times , I think the Hotel General Manager should be proud of all his staff and the way his hotel is run.
Definitely a great holiday experience !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
witham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We have just returned home this week, and overall our holiday was very good, but with some niggles. Firtstly the weather has not been good a sea mist has been laying over Agadir for some weeks now and this put a dampner on our holiday sometimes it cleared other times it stayed all day. The resort could also be quite windy and was rather chilly at times. It has a fantastic beach large and very clean but most of the time we found it too windy. A wonderful promanade about 3 miles runs right round the bay so great for jogging enthusiasts or roamers but there is nothing really to see on route other than hotels. We were told that the weather was unusual so lets hope other people have better weather than we did, but we still managed a good colour but would have been nice to have had the sun with it, when it did come out it was glorious lovely and hot.
The hotel was average it certainly needs an upgrade and the interiors were shabby in some parts especially the public toilets, the pool has some broken tiles in the bottom and could be quite sharp to be aware. The grounds of the hotel are lovely and well cared for, the indoor pool is desperate for a makeover and is dirty my daughter went in once and came out saying she would not go in it again as it had dirt floating in it. Restaurant is how you would expect large, noisy, chaotic especially at breakfast and we got fed up waiting for fried eggs they concentrated on omellets so was left waiting for ages and also at one point a member of the animation team came took the eggs before a paying guest!
We were also shocked to see quite a number of cockroaches, we had one in our bedroom and in the corridor outside and also in the beach bar one evening we counted 14 in the ladies toilet in the lobby! I mentioned this to the manager and he shrugged it off as normal (although he did get straight on his phone and investigated) well I have honestly never seen cockroaches in any other hotel I have stayed in! normal for them it may be but this should be looked at as they are not pleasant and give the guests a bad impression. The food was good if you have been to a Riu before you know the form good choice could always find something you like and plenty of it. The rooms were basic but large and clean with two wardrobes and plenty of space for suitcases. The staff were excellent very polite and helpful and friendly, the animation team were great and really tried to get you involved with games and sports but not pushy. The lobby got very noisy in the evenings and was difficult to find a seat sometimes. The cocktails are all premixed would be nice to see some real cocktails made! One of our biggest gripes were the amount of unruly children, we found a lovely spot by the pool near the indoor pool which was lovely and quiet away from the main pool, all fine until some children decided it would be great to jump in from the rock waterfall feature continuously for days screaming and shouting, other kids using the revolving doors in reception as a Jump in jump out game so dangerous no one said anything to them.
Although overall we had a good holiday we would proberbly not go back, not enough in the local area to draw the tourist away from the hotel (pitty). We are finding that these all inclusive packages are becoming a little like Butlins abroard. The same format wherever you go.

Room Tip: make sure its nowhere near the reception! 5000's are very good with lovely views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tikida Dunas? Share your experiences!