“Fantastic Holiday at Tikida Beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Tikida Beach

You added Hotel Riu Tikida Beach to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Tikida Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Chemin des Dunes BP 901, Agadir 80000, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 80 Hotels in Agadir
North Yorks
“Fantastic Holiday at Tikida Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

Just returned from this hotel where we spent a week to celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary. Had a super time and found the staff at the hotel very friendly and helpfull. The food was good, the rooms spotless, good entertainment most nights. On the day of our Anniversary we went on a day trip to Marakech, when we returned there were flowers, fruit and moroccan pastries in our room which helped to make the occasion memorable. Our tour reps were excellent too. We can strongly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Food, cleanliness
  • Disliked — can't really think of anything I didn't like
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Polish first
Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

We are a couple in our 60s and went to Morocco for the first time a few weeks ago. We selected the hotel, after much deliberation, from the Portland brochure.
We are well travelled and usually stay in 4 star hotels. This one rated well amongst the best 4 star we have stayed in.
We opted for all inclusive, something we have never done before.
We were very pleasantly surprised with the variety and standard of food on offer. Something for every taste.
Our room was very spacious, with a good size bathroom and lovely views over the pool and sea. There was a small fridge in our bedroom, but apart from water on our arrival, the fridge was never topped up. We did ask for some soft drinks cans to put in the fridge but this was not allowed. We could get free soft drinks and water from the bar whenever we wanted to, but always in a glass, so not to store in the fridge. We enjoy a drink on our balcony in the evenings and had taken 2 bottles of spirits with us. This was no problem. We found a small supermarket about 5 mins walk away and stocked the fridge up with mixer drinks.
We were warned about work being carried on on the promenade before we went. This caused us very little disruption and, when it is finished, the promenade will look lovely and is a good place to wgo for a walk along. The part of it already completed looks really lovely. They are obviously doing their best to cause tourists as little disruption as possible. Every day there are several 'big' games of football on the beach !
The staff were friendly and efficient and all in all we had an excellent holiday. The weather was starting to heat up when we left on June 4th and if we go again we will probably choose April or early May. There weren't many Brits in the hotel, but the language wasn't a problem and we even found the French to be very friendly !!
One warning.
On our penultimate day I went to the Thalasotherapy spa for a beauty treatment. Very enjoyable, but very pricey and not really woirth it. I wanted to pay on our room bill, as the hotel information said we could do. However, in the spa, they said that their computer was down and I would have to pay cash or on a card. I paid with my debit card. They took my card into a back office to process it.
Aboout a week after we got home we discovered that our card details have been being used fraudulently, and several amounts of money have been taken. Given the dates that this happened our details must have been copied and passed on to thieves from the spa office. The bank will reimburse us so no permanent damage, but a lot of hassle and nuisance. I would advise to avoid the spa or pay cash.
There were very few children staying there which suited us perfectly ! Next door is another Riu hotel which is more geared to families.
All in all a good holiday and one we will probably repeat at some time.

• Liked — clean, friendly and spacious
  • Disliked — silly rules over use of fridge
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

I am extremely picky about hotels, and so took ages to finally settle on the Riu Tikida Beach. Most of the reviews seemed positive, but I was obviously still slightly anxious by the negative ones.

However once we arrived, I realised that I needn't have worried - the cleaners were extremely thorough, and our rooms were made spotles every morning. The grounds are beautifully maintained, a lot of money seems to be spent on keeping them to a high standard. The pool is also spotless, and the attendant is there all day,on hand to help with towels or parasols or bring more sunbeds. Everything in the Hotel is very light and airy, but welcoming at the same time, so we immediately felt comfortable. We were initially put in a room with a balcony overlooking the hotel next door, which was having work done to its balconies. We requested to be moved, and they did immediately, and gave us an equally nice room but with a much better view of the pool and beach, so it is workth asking, as they can only say no!

The Beach is currently having a promenade built, leading up to the King's palace. The building work is a bit of an eyesore when you're actually on the beach, but you can't see it from the hotel, and it didn't disturb us in the slightest.

As an all inclusive trip, we were a little concerned from previous reviews that the food would become a little monotonous. So we were pleasantly surprised to find that lunch and dinner were always different day to day - obviously, the salad bars stay the same, but the actual cooked foods were varied from day to day, and there was always plenty of it. It's really worth booking a table in Le Megador restaurant, which is within the hotel (you have to book 24hrs in advance, so that they know how many people to expect, as the restaurant is quite small, but it's still part of the all inclusive deal). Le Megador serves traditional Moroccan food, in traditional Moroccan surroundings, and it was amazing! We had soup to start with, then Moroccan Salad, then a Beef tagine, followed by a Moroccan desert - I was fit to burst, but it was delicious! So definitely worth a try!

The Staff were all very friendly and helpful. As an ex-french colony, the main language in Morocco (after Arabic, of course) is french, and so there are obviously many french guests who stay there. However staff also speak German and English too, and contrary to some reviews, they do not isolate the non-french speakers at all, they were more than willing to switch to English as soon as they realised we were Brits!

The Entertainment team are nice, without being pushy. They walk around the pool letting everyone know what activity is being held (such as Archery, Darts, Boules, Aqua-Aerobics), but never pressure anyone into joining in, which is nice, as all I wanted to do was lie on the sun lounger doing nothing!

Agadir itself isn't the most exciting place, and there isn't much there. We walked around to have a look, but I don't think it's the place to go if you want to explore the culture, as it doesn't seem to have much of an identity. That said, we were still very content, as all we wanted to do was relax by the pool anyway!

A quick word of warning; When you arrive at the airport, porters will come and try to take your suitcases from you and take them to the coaches, which are a few yards away - be aware that they will ask for money when they have done this, an can be quite pushy. One particular porter demanded £5 from someone! so we politely but firmly declined for them to take our suitcases, and just kept walking.

• Liked — It was clean, airy and very comfortable
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at Riu Tikida Beach for 1 week in November 2006. Ovearll we had a good time.

HOTEL

LOVELY, everything you expect from a 4* hotel. The club was shut for redecoration when we went though so cannot really comment on that. The pool was amazing (swim up bar also shut because of time of year) and the towels provided are good and they never run short. The room was cleaned everyday with the sheets changed everyday and was spacious with a huge bed.
There gardens in the thotel are gorgeous and the private beach is lovely too.

FOOD

AMAZING, the buffets during the day were gorgeous and catered for all, we tended to have pasta and pizza for lunch at the pizzeria bar outside which also served snacks like crepes and waffles. The hotel staff at the restaurants were glad to make you fresh panins and pizza here too. There was more than enough choice and breakfast and dinner, my boyfriend is fussy and only eats pizza, pasta and chips and there was always enough food for him. I like varying food so if you like fish, different meats, rice etc you'll love it here. They also have a varying range of desserts which was nice, especially if you have a sweet tooth.

ENTERTAINMENT

Look out for MEHDI he was a great member of staff always ready to dance etc. The entertainment we saw was not as good as I though. The Snake charmer, magician and acrobatic dancers were REALLY GOOD but on the night of the spinning man I suggest go out because after about 5 minutes it got a bit repetitive and boring. There is thenmusic and dancing in the cocktal bar, which is where the entertainment was, which was nice, especially if you like dancing such as waltz etc with live piano music.
As I said before the Club was shut so I cannot comment.

TRIPS

We went on 2 trips, the catamaran and camel riding.

The camel riding was EXCELLENT, arranged through a man that has links with the hotel. You get a taxi from your hotel to where you meet the camels. You can have one each or 2 on 1 camel. WE both shared a camel. The tour guides were excellent and half way you stop for a rest and get dressed up in muslim attire!! You ride across the mini sahara past the kings summer palace and back again. You also have moroccan tea when you get back which tastes sweet.

The catamaran trip was also good, however I got a bit sea sick as the sea was rough when we went. You sail; past the palaces of the princes of Arabia and stop by a small fishing beach to swim and snorkel. Food of pasta, salad, friut and bread it served on your way back with drinks.

TIP_ the only thing about morocco is that it is quite a poor country, especially Agadir with its normal people not having much money so expect to tip well.

NEAR BY

We also went to the SOUK AL HAL, which we shouldn't have really done alone, although nothing happened I would recommend going on an arranged tour or with a large group of experinced tourists as you could get lost in there!! However it is a nice place to go to barter, with there being no fixed prices and get a taste of local culture.

Taxis are cheap from outside of the hotel and have a fised price to where ever you want to go.
There is also a few local shops along the road whoich are nice to visit aswell.

On the beach there are also locals selling produce but be advised it is cheaper at the market. Also be aware that the local try and get money off you for ANYTHING.
We took a picture of a camel made with sand and the maker shouted at us for money, we also got offered COCAINE on the beach!! We also had a man come up to us, talking, trying to massage my boyfriends back and asking for money!

Be aware when leaving the immediate hotel grounds and private beach and my advise is to avoid locals selling produce on the beach.

SPA

The hotel spa is good, I had my nails and toes done however be aware of what you are getting. I asked for a join mani, pedi package and during the nails the beautician asked me do I want them french and my toes painting french so I said yes. Afterwards I was charged for a s
eperate manicure and pedicure and painting aswell!!

My only criticism of the hotel is they don't speak very good english. The guests are predominantely french and german, with french and arabic being Morocco's main languages and Geman being their second.

Other than that it was a fantastic holiday but for the reasons above I have rated it as above average.

It is a great holiday destination but be aware that it is not a wealthy country so if you want to go on a holiday where you can go out and experience home conforts then it is not suited for you, if you like a taste of culture it is perfect.

• Liked — the hotel
  • Disliked — the lack of good english speakers
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
north east england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

booked this hotel after reading mixed reviews. but we felt the good one outnumberd the bad . arrived at night and were very warmly welcomed by both porters and reception staff who urged us to go to the restraunt quickly before it closed. read reviews complaining about amount of french guests and french language spoken. This is a french hotel and moroccos second language is french so why be surprised. We found language no problem as most of the staff spoke english to us. Food was plentifull and very varied waiters quick and corteous. At the poolside lunchtime restraunt was very good as was the pizza bar and the drinks bar.Waiters in the cascade bar in the evening were very helpfull we never waited to be served[ and we didnt tip prior to being served] all in all hotel standard was excellent and staff very very helpfull and friendly. only downside was building work on beachfront bet this will only enhance an allready lovely hotel and caused us only a little inconvenience.

• Liked — location .food. clenliness
  • Disliked — building work on beachfront
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
bedfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

We stayed for a week at Tikida Beach over the Feb half term break. Our first impressions on entering the lobby were 'what a great place!' and this continued throughout our week.
The room was extremely clean and a good size with a seperate toilet and bathroom. The bed was two singles pushed together but this was not a problem. Our balcony overlooked the pool area and had lovely plants around it.
The pool area had plenty of sunbeds and was kept clean at all times. You have complimentary beach towels to take down with you and can change them if they are damp or get dirty.
The food is very fresh and tasty and there is always an excellent choice - morrocan tagines, vegetable dishes, salads, cheese, soup, meat, fish, rice, pasta, potatoes - something for everyone. The desserts are great too!
All the staff we met couldn't do enough for you - in fact it was my husband's birthday while we were there and they arranged a cake for him without either of us knowing and at no charge to us! Watch out for Slim and the other entertainment guys - they are a great laugh and will do anything to make your holiday one to remember. Hassan the First Choice rep organised flowers and chocolates for my husband to give to me for Valentines Day and was extremely helpful and reliable throughout the holiday.
We thought the entertainment was good - belly dancers, acrobats, magicians, singers, and a very good morrocan evening. The Gypsy Kings were there on holiday when we were there and sang a few songs which was good.
Overall, we had a fabulous time and are already thinking about booking for next Feb half-term. We would also use other Riu hotels in the future.

• Liked — the great all inclusive package
  • Disliked — receptionist in the spa was a little rude!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Zurich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

My boyfriend and I staied at the RIU Tikida Beach from January 1st to January 5th 2008. The hotel is very pleasant, the room spacious, clean with a big bed. The all inclusive formula is very good, you can pratically eat from 6 am to 9 pm all the time how much you want! And the wines proposed are also quite good.There are also quite lots of activities during the day, a nice big swimming pool and a private beach. We definetely recommend the hotel.

• Liked — The relaxing interior
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Riu Tikida Beach? Share your experiences!