“Average... A few good points” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Club Al Moggar
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Mohamed V, Agadir 80000, Morocco   |
Ranked #51 of 80 Hotels in Agadir
London, United Kingdom
“Average... A few good points”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel is very welcoming and warming, the hospitality is okay and the extra facilities were above decent. Me and my partner booked this hotel as a last-minute getaway and to be honest it was not as disappointing as we'd expected. The decor was a bit outdated, and the rooms could do with a bit of a clean and refurbishment.

However the all inclusive facilities were satisfactory, and the food was quite nice. Overall the visit was decent for its money value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Casablanca, Morocco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went to al moggar the last week of August ,our room was clean not enough towels for 4 people , the animation was great .Tarik was very professional and knows what he was doing .
We went half board , the food was ok nothing fancy you get what you paid for, over all we like it specially the location that on the beach .

• Stayed August 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Myself & my partner decided to book a fairly cheap get away for a week of sunshine after various searching and looking at lots of different hotels we found this one - the reviews were a variety of good and bad and we decided to go for it we booked to go bed a breakfast 7 nights from the 21st May to the 28th May we arrived at the hotel at 10.30am on the tuesday expecting to just drop our bags and head to the beach however they allowed us to check in early (at no extra charge) the hotel staff were perfectly fine I wouldnt say they went over and above but they were certainly not rude and were always there to assist, our room was large and we had book with a sea view which we would reccomend for the extra £20 it was more than worth it (349 our room number). The room was cleaned daily and towels were replaced. The only bad points we found were the local taxes we were charged on arrival which were not mentioned when we booked however they worked out at around £20 for the week & the breakfast was not to our tastes however their are plenty of resturants nearby serving breakfast which were reasonably priced. Overall it was a very enjoyable stay and the pool area, bar & staff were great. Agadir is a beauitful place friendly people with lots to do again very reasonably priced or you can relax by the pool or on the beach. Excursion we would recommend are quad biking and the trip to the kasbar, souk & fishing port which can all be booked via hotel reception. Food and drinks are all cheap we had a budget of £565 we ate out everynight drank everyday done our the excursions and brought presents for family and still had change. To summerise we would highly recommend this hotel and the town of agadir for gorgeous beaches great food and a fab coffee shop (the coffee company) all at great value for money.

Room Tip: Always book with a sea view highly recommend 349 & personally we would say just book room only...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We booked the Al Moggar in March, and was very apprehensive having read some of the reviews.
This is a budget priced hotel, so one cannot expect five star service and facilities, we felt however, it represented good value for money.
Our room was spacious, with air con and a sea view balcony (An extra £40 for the week, well worth it). The decor and furnishings are basic but clean and tidy, as is the functional bathroom. The maid service was friendly and first class - cleaned daily, new towels daily and sheets changed after 3 days.
The breakfast choice was extensive with hot and cold European and African dishes on offer, again the staff were helpful and friendly.
There are two large pools with bars and attendants. The pools are cleaned daily although some of the loungers/sun shades are in need of replacement.
There is a well located bar with excellent views of the sea and gardens, a good location for an evening sundowner
The location is ideal with many shops and restaurants close by. The beach is across a wide prominade, this is true of all hotels in Agadir - even the five star ones! with loungers and sun shades available on the beach
This is a big complex with over 500 rooms - so expect a lot of people at meal times
We did find the attitude of the reception staff somewhat lacking - the one negative in the hotel
This is a budget 2/3 star hotel and represents value for money in an excellent location

Room Tip: Make sure you have a sea view room which should quarantee you a top floor room. Rooms near the larg...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I went to agadir with my 2 friends on 5th may.we booked club almoggar hotel for 3 nights.this hotel speciality is that ,hotel is right on beautiful beach and also has so many facilities like nice reception and sitting area,great family and group restaurant.eye catching garden and lovely swimming pools.young and childrens can enjoy their holiday 100%.all sports and leisure facilities are provided by hotel,all staff is really nice and helpful.this hotel surrounding is comprises on all continentals and asian restaurants,public transport is on its door step.top of this all,agadir marina is just 150 yards away.overall this hotel is highly suitable for english and europeans holiday makers.finaly i love this hotel.

Room Tip: I love to suggest you guys to book a sea front room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Purmerend
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Very good location, right on the boulevard. Beatifull and large swimming pool. There must be also a smaller second pool but we didn´t use that one. Private part of the beach.
There was also annimation but we didn´t use it.
The breakfast was great, nice food with a beautifull vieuw from the terrace on the beach.
We also took dinner at the hotel sometimes, that was just ok. I rather go eating at one of the restautants at the boulevard.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Newbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The hotel is more a 1* or 2*, definitely not a 3*. In general, the hotel is run down and has a general feel of decay. The staff are the unfriendliest I’ve ever come across and the rooms are grim. Most of them have no view and just a tiny seating area overlooking weed covered, crumbling walkways.

I went on this holiday on a ‘last minute deal’ as a stress reliever following a difficult time at work, but last minute or full price, I didn’t get value for money. I’ve stayed at many hotels that weren’t quite what they said, but always had a good time and found other aspects of the holiday that made up for it, but here nothing made up for the hotel. I tried to ignore the many negatives and just relax and enjoy my holiday, especially as my main priorities were sunbathing and reading, but I just couldn’t enjoy this holiday, but day 2 I was ready to leave.

I don't usually write long reviews, but there's a lot to cover for this hotel:

Location
• The hotel is NOT on the beach, the beach is across the road behind a 12 foot wall, with one small archway leading to the boardwalk. The Al Moggar has a roped off area on the beach which is fairly small and fills up quickly.
• The boardwalk area is very nice with lots of restaurants and a few shops. The marina further down the road also has some nice restaurants and shops. This area is very safe, I didn’t get hassled here at all and felt perfectly safe walking around on my own.
Room
• The first room I was given had 2 cockroaches in the bathroom, 1 dead, 1 alive. The bathroom light switch was broken so there was no possibility of light in the bathroom. I went back to reception and asked for another room, which I was given.
• The room I was reassigned was one of the grimmest rooms I’ve ever seen, dark green dated bedspreads, orange walls and black woodwork. It had one small window (no glass door or patio doors as shown in the pictures). The window was tinted so even in the middle of the day it was dark and cold.
• The shower had mould and a large grill above the shower I could see machinery behind, I wouldn’t be surprised if cameras are in some of these grills to film guests showering.
• The bedsheets were cheap and bobbly, the mattress hard which aggravated my back.
• The towels were small and rock hard
• The TV remote didn’t work and I couldn’t find any English channels
• I always tip the maids as they are often badly paid, however the room was not well cleaned - the bathroom in particular wasn't cleaned very well, there were toothpaste marks everywhere. I still tipped though, I feel sorry for the staff working there

Dining
• The dining area is bleak and run down with a fairly soul-less outdoor patio area. Next to the patio area is the gym, which on some mornings pumps out hardcore house music loudly for early morning exercise classes, so don’t count on a relaxing breakfast.
• The food selection for breakfast, lunch and dinner is very limited, about ¼ of what I’ve seen in other 3* hotels.
• The sfaff in the dining room were very friendly.
Pool
• There are 2 pools, the larger one gets fairly busy but has very uncomfortable sun loungers with bars that dig into your back
• The smaller pool was much nicer with more comfortable sun loungers. The staff here were lovely, the best in the hotel. However they played music for themselves rather than the guests, playing the same songs over and over again, pushing the volume up and down from barely audible to ear splitting every few seconds. Most of the time there was no music or barely audible music. They also liked chasing each other around with a whistle, so don’t expect to relax here.
• The pool/beach towels require a £10 deposit, this I don’t mind, but the towels were small and thin, I’d recommend taking your own.
Staff
• The reception staff didn’t seem interested in guests at all, one of them smiled at me once, the rest of the time they either ignored me or pointed towards someone else without saying a word. Even when I politely asked for (rather than demanded) a new room because of the cockroaches, there was not a flicker of apology, and I was then assigned a room that was no better, except for the absence of roaches.
• On my last day I asked for confirmation of my return transfer (details of which should have been left at reception) but they said nothing had been left, without checking. They lady I was talking to pointed to someone else and walked off. I went and spoke to the next lady, at the end of the counter (for the hotels reference, she was the only member of staff on Saturday 4th May morning wearing a headscarf). She again said they had no information. I pointed out no-one had actually checked and could she please call the transfer company. She demanded money to make the call which I refused. She tried to call, the line was busy so she turned away from me. I pressed on, eventually telling her she could try and be a little more helpful and she reluctantly made another call. I eventually managed to confirm my transfer. The lady was still sat there staring at me stony faced, I had been nothing but polite to all the staff at this point. At this point I said she could perhaps try and be a little friendlier to guests, it doesn’t cost anything. She gave me a sarcastic smile and turned away. I myself used to work in the tourist industry, and always made sure I had a smile on my face and a helpful demeanour – my guests had spent hard earned money on their holiday and deserved to have everyone along their way make it a special time for them. Given this, I was appalled at the way I was treated by this woman.
• The entertainment is in French, and several of the staff didn’t, or didn’t want to, speak English. This didn’t bother me, but for those who enjoy hotel entertainment and/or have kids, this might be an issue

General
• Changing currency in Morocco (airport, hotel and/or currency exchange booth) is advisable – in the UK I got 10 dirham per £, in Morocco I got 13 dirham per pound.
• It’s worth bartering – lots of stores sell leather coats and bags, which are good quality. One store quoted me 1000 dirham for a leather jacket, the next day someone else in the same store quoted me 1400 dirham, yet I negotiated down to 650 dirham.

I chose this holiday over the Coralia Club in Dahab which I have been to several times before. The Coralia was stated as 3* yet was more like a 2*, HOWEVER, it had fantastic staff, great food, was right on the beach and had good facilities so I always felt it was good value. I wish I had gone there, it is streets above the Al Moggar.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Club Al Moggar? Share your experiences!