“Great Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 81 Hotels in Agadir
Hants
“Great Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

I stayed at this hotel after a recommendation from a Trip Advisor forum member, and I’m glad I did. The staff couldn’t have been more friendly, helpful and willing, the place was spotless, and it’s very convenient both for shops, restaurants and the beach. It took me about eight minutes to get to the beach, although I’m quite a fast walker. The marina is approximately 25 minutes from the hotel (turn right when you get to the beach). The taxis are very cheap and cost approximately £1 (15dms) for any journey within Agadir. Don’t ask how much when you get in, and if they try and charge 20dms, stick to your guns, as they are not meant to charge any more than 15. There are plenty of the orange taxis - just hail one when you see it, and they will stop, even if there is a passenger already inside.

Well, back to the hotel! I was pleasantly surprised by my room, as I’d booked for a single, but was given a double, which had plenty of room. It was a little noisy because it was quite near the road, though not as near as some, but I didn’t find it too much of a problem, though other people might have done. When you book, make sure you ask for a quiet room, and also keep in mind that not all of the rooms have balconies. Some of the ground floor rooms open out onto the pool area, which I thought looked rather nice. Generally speaking, rooms that overlook the pool don’t get the noise of the traffic. Traffic seems very noisy as Moroccan drivers hoot even when overtaking! The shower in my room was attached to the bath taps, not on the wall, but I didn’t mind that. There was always lots of hot water. There are two televisions - one in the bar, and one large widescreen in the lounge. I was there for eleven days, and didn’t ever see the lounge one on, but (unfortunately!), on my last night when I spent some time in the bar, they had X Factor on! The food in the hotel is very good, and reasonable, with the average meal in the restaurant being £5/6 per main course. Some are even cheaper eg spag bol was £3.17 (depending on exchange rate). The food in the pool bar is a little more expensive with chicken and chips being approx £5.56, but you can get cheaper things like salads, and cheese on toast. A cup of coffee was about 95p. At breakfast, you were given two chocolate croissants, two white baguettes, and one brown baguette, plus a little pot of strawberry jam, one of marmalade, and two of butter each - very generous! Plus tea/coffee and orange juice if you wanted it. There were other things you could have if you paid for it, but I was happy with that, so I don’t know what they were. There is a very nice restaurant called Little Italy - out of the hotel turn left, cross over the road, and it’s not far down. I had my first Moroccan meal there - beef mince tagine, which was yummy and cost less than £5!

There are only two negatives I can think of - one being that the hotel didn’t provide enough information. It wasn’t until my third to last day that I found out that there was a laundry service, which I would have made use of if I’d known. And neither was there any info in the rooms as to what mealtimes were. On arrival, the receptionist scribbled them down on a piece of paper, but I didn’t think that was very professional. The other negative was that my pillows and bed were really hard. They gave me a soft pillow, but couldn’t do much about the bed of course. It could be just that I’m used to a soft bed at home.

I would recommend this hotel for people with mobility problems. The restaurant and pool are on the lower ground floor level, but there is a lift from the ground floor, and there are only a couple of steps that have to be managed when you go out to the pool. There is also a toilet at one end of the pool. There aren’t any parasols, but there is plenty of shade around the pool.

All in all a great hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

This hotel is one of the best hotels ive ever stayed in you get fantastic service the hotel is spotless clean the food is good and you get good value overall a fantastic hotel the pool area is amazing!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Small attractive hotel in centre of Agadir,but still not too far from the beach. Very clean with towels changed daily and bed linen at least twice a week.Cuisine in the restaurant is very good and reasonable with waiter service. Have tried many restaurants in Agadir but much prefer the "Kamal". Staff are extremely courteous, friendly and efficent....nothing is a problem from changing currency to booking airport taxis etc. Although we do not use the pool area, preferring to be in the souk etc gadding about, it is still nevertheless beautifully clean and attractive. For evening entertainment we do go into the centre ville to late night restaurants, dancing etc... We have stayed many times in the Kamal ...sometimes 5 weeks at a time! I must say we do not like" all inclusive" or the ostentatious hotels away from the city centre! The Kamal is an excellent base for touring Morocco and with the new highway open between Agadir and Marrakech staying in Marrakech for a few days or travelling to Casablanca etc is easy

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

In the early hours of this morning I arrived back from Agadir. Initially myself and my Fiancée had booked to stay at Hotel Kamal for a full week. We arrived late last Sunday and on arrival paid for our room for the week. We booked a taxi via the hotel from the airport which was waiting for us on arrival.

The first thing we noticed that the room was very basic but had everything we needed (comfy bed, small tv, safe etc) and that everything was clean. However that first night we had very little sleep (2hr max). The rooms do not have air conditioning and our balcony windows weren’t double glazed. The hotel is situated by 2 main roads so if you leave the windows open all you can hear is noisy traffic and wildlife (grasshoppers I think).

The following day we hoped that we would get more sleep but again we had 2 hours maximum due to the heat. So we decided that we would go on a search for a new hotel with air conditioning.

Breakfast was very basic, breadrolls, tea/coffee and croissants but was only 50p to add boiled eggs. The hotel restaurant was also very good if you don’t fancy the walk down to the front. The portion sizes are large and the prices are good.

The fact that this hotel is currently rated 3rd out of all the hotels in Agadir I believe is very misleading. It is basically a Travelodge with a nice pool. If you intend to go in the summer months and you are not used to warm nights I would recommend you find another hotel with a/c.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Huddersfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

Never had to pay for hotel until I arrived - prices were good and was offered discount on future stay. I would say this hotel is in the perfect location not far from beach / hotel / loacl supermarket / money exchange / park / shops
Staff were great. Hotel was claened daily. Rooms were cleaned well. Pool was good and immaccuatly cleaned. Breakfast basic but I knew that. Biggest shortfall is no aircon in room but survived with the fans that are offered. Free wifi - ideally if you take your PAYG phone. We eat out for lunch and evening meal given the choice.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

Hotel Kamal is a hotel that benefits from excellent staff, an incredible cleaning regime and nice secluded pool area. If you want luxury this is not for you but if you want a clean and simple hotel in the centre of town I would recommend it. Try to get a room that is not facing the main street as the rooms can be noisy at times unless you have the windows/doors shut.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Read all the great reviews on trip advisor before travel and we were not let down. The staff were all really friendly and could not do enough for you, the hotel was spotlessly clean and could witness the high standards daily.There is no air con and it was very hot, however we were loaned fans for both rooms for the week and we hired a fridge for about £2 per day. Pool area great, plenty of beds, all clean and comfy, snack bar prices were a little more pricey than outside the hotel but good qaulity food served with a smile. We went bed and breakfast which consisted of bread and preserves but you can order extras, we had 2 boiled eggs for around 60p, but there was other stuff too.
Italian restaurant just up the road called ( little italy) really cheap and excellent pizzas, if you fancy local fare try ( Yakout) restaurant, again really cheap.
Taxis really cheap, beware of booking trips with local agents, you pay more with your holiday rep but you will get proper transport with air con..........we were stuck on a bus for 10 hours+ with no air con in 47 degrees!!!!! all to save money!! lesson learned!!
The souks are great fun and you can get yourself a bargain........again the heat can spoil this so i would advise to go early as possible when cooler and less people, also cheaper...they tend to put up prices when busier............all in all interesting holiday, but hotel kamal was the top of our list for any hotels we have stayed in before....FAB!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Kamal? Share your experiences!